Purpose of the Halo Array

I’m sorry if this question has been asked before, but I am kinda new to the Waypoint Forums, and this question has bugged me for a while.

I know the general purpose for firing the Halo rings is to clense the galaxy/universe of any Flood Infection. Now here is the question. When Chief in Halo 1 was about to activate Installation 04, Cortana and 343 GS stopped him and told him of Halo’s true purpose, to wipe out all species with enough biomass to support flood infection. But I’m currently reading The Thursday War, and when Jul is talking to Prone to Drift and the purpose of the Dyson Sphere, Jul says “Their [the Forerunner’s] entire civilization. The Halo would have destroyed everything sentient outside [the Dyson Sphere] when it was activated.”

So what does Halo actually kill? I’ve read somewhere (though I don’t know if it is true) that Grunts are not able to become infected, but they certinally are sentient. Though I have seen trees in Campaign and MP maps that are infested with flood-like spores, and trees (barring any cross-universe Ents from TLotR) are not sentient.

Would like some insight from the Halo community to help me solve this connundrum.

Halo kills anything sentient as well as Flood biomass.

The Halo array uses Nuero-technology. Anything with a nervous system would have died…exactly as planned.

(Fun fact, the Precursor structures used Neuro-technology, so that’s why we don’t see anything Precursor in the Halo trilogy)

> I’m sorry if this question has been asked before, but I am kinda new to the Waypoint Forums, and this question has bugged me for a while.
>
> I know the general purpose for firing the Halo rings is to clense the galaxy/universe of any Flood Infection. Now here is the question. When Chief in Halo 1 was about to activate Installation 04, Cortana and 343 GS stopped him and told him of Halo’s true purpose, to wipe out all species with enough biomass to support flood infection. But I’m currently reading The Thursday War, and when Jul is talking to Prone to Drift and the purpose of the Dyson Sphere, Jul says “Their [the Forerunner’s] entire civilization. The Halo would have destroyed everything sentient outside [the Dyson Sphere] when it was activated.”
>
> So what does Halo actually kill? I’ve read somewhere (though I don’t know if it is true) that Grunts are not able to become infected, but they certinally are sentient. Though I have seen trees in Campaign and MP maps that are infested with flood-like spores, and trees (barring any cross-universe Ents from TLotR) are not sentient.
>
> Would like some insight from the Halo community to help me solve this connundrum.

Everyone inside the Dyson Sphere was protected because it was in slipspace.

Halo kills everything that is living. No if, and, or buts about it. The Flood die just the same.

> The Halo array uses Nuero-technology. Anything with a nervous system would have died…exactly as planned.
>
> (Fun fact, the Precursor structures used Neuro-technology, so that’s why we don’t see anything Precursor in the Halo trilogy)

Close. The Halo Array uses supermassive cross-phase neutrinos, tuned to target even the most rudimentary nervous systems. The “Halo Affect”, as it has been called, destroys any organism with a nervous system.

Now, Precursor technology worked on something called neural physics. It was the belief of the Precursors that everything was alive, even matter and energy, but in way that could not be understood by most beings. All Precursor technology uses neural physics, meaning that while most artifacts would be near-indestructible, it is very susceptible to the Halo Affect.

OP: Grunts can be infected by the Flood, as can most Covenant species (the Hunters are immune because their unique physiology).

I wonder if it’s remotely possible that there is actually a real Halo style ‘device’ already in the Universe built by our own ‘forerunner’s’, and that some species somewhere know’s about it…

A possiblity that there could be should be scary!!!

> I wonder if it’s remotely possible that there is actually a real Halo style ‘device’ already in the Universe built by our own ‘forerunner’s’, and that some species somewhere know’s about it…
>
>
> A possiblity that there could be should be scary!!!

Reality is much scarier than fiction. At any moment, our planet could be hit by a deadly blast of gamma radiation. Such a blast would strip away our atmosphere and fry most of the planet. The Universe is deadly enough without ancient super-weapons.

Thanks everyone on your posts. I think the sorta vague terminology, combined with people saying different ways of “the Halo kills stuff” probably caused my confusion.

Now that I remember, in one of the Halo CEA terminals showing the past activation of the Halo Array (i think it was the Keyes one, not sure) it showed a landscape pre and post-firing, with the environment the same (except with no flood infection)

Also, I did know that Hunters were immune to flood infections (being that they are a collection of organisms, not a single one). Though that is probably where I extracted my theory that small things can’t get infected.

Thanks though. Now I have a solid answer!

> > I’m sorry if this question has been asked before, but I am kinda new to the Waypoint Forums, and this question has bugged me for a while.
> >
> > I know the general purpose for firing the Halo rings is to clense the galaxy/universe of any Flood Infection. Now here is the question. When Chief in Halo 1 was about to activate Installation 04, Cortana and 343 GS stopped him and told him of Halo’s true purpose, to wipe out all species with enough biomass to support flood infection. But I’m currently reading The Thursday War, and when Jul is talking to Prone to Drift and the purpose of the Dyson Sphere, Jul says “Their [the Forerunner’s] entire civilization. The Halo would have destroyed everything sentient outside [the Dyson Sphere] when it was activated.”
> >
> > So what does Halo actually kill? I’ve read somewhere (though I don’t know if it is true) that Grunts are not able to become infected, but they certinally are sentient. Though I have seen trees in Campaign and MP maps that are infested with flood-like spores, and trees (barring any cross-universe Ents from TLotR) are not sentient.
> >
> > Would like some insight from the Halo community to help me solve this connundrum.
>
> Everyone inside the Dyson Sphere was protected because it was in slipspace.

They have different defences than slip-space, because any ship can enter slip-space and be protected.

Yeah Cortana does say that, says it kills the food of the Flood, and it’s the only way to kill them… Although later in the series it mentions it kills everything.

I wonder if it was a plot hole that was fixed? or just a general mistake early in the series.

> > I wonder if it’s remotely possible that there is actually a real Halo style ‘device’ already in the Universe built by our own ‘forerunner’s’, and that some species somewhere know’s about it…
> >
> >
> > A possiblity that there could be should be scary!!!
>
> Reality is much scarier than fiction. At any moment, our planet could be hit by a deadly blast of gamma radiation. Such a blast would strip away our atmosphere and fry most of the planet. The Universe is deadly enough without ancient super-weapons.

Indeed, as well as gazillions of NEO’s that could obliterate us too!!!