Purchasing Ordnance at Stations

Personal ordnance’s inclusion in Halo has been controversial to say the least. In addition to its obvious likeness to Call of Duty’s killstreak system, there’s also the fact that it discourages the use of map control as an essential strategy, as players can simply kill a few enemies and earn power weapons instantly (instead of fighting for them in set locations around the map). Also, the current personal ordnance system leads to an abundance of power weapons on the map at a given time (thus leading to the necessity of shorter weapon despawn times).

I believe I have a better personal ordnance system. On the map, there are several “stations”, each fairly distant from each other. There is a weapons station (for purchasing weapons and ammo), an equipment station (for purchasing equipment/armor abilities), a powerup station (for purchasing powerups), and a perks station (for purchasing armor mods). The number and types of stations would vary with each map.

As usual, you earn points by defeating your opponents. If you earn enough points, you can spend them at one of the stations. Let’s say you want a sniper rifle. You would go to the weapons station and purchase it. Obviously, a sniper would cost more points than a magnum or assault rifle. Or you may want a Bubble Shield. You would have to go to the equipment station to purchase it.

I think this system is the best direction to take personal ordnance. The enemy team could take control of an area with a certain station. If your team wants something from that station, they’ll have to fight for it. Maybe they’d have to purchase something from the other available stations to help them. It’s a personal ordnance system that encourages map movement/control and still makes players have to earn their reward.

Anything to add? Have a better system? Think personal ordnance should just disappear completely from Halo? Let me know.

EDIT: There would be restrictions on the amount of times a player could buy a certain weapon or gadget. For example, you could only purchase the Bubble Shield three times, or the damage boost once (these are just numbers I threw out).

EDIT 2: Cam Fred Watson suggested a system wherein if a power weapon/gadget has been purchased, it will not be available for purchase again until despawns.

I had thought about something like this. I guess it would really come down to where these stations would be on the maps. Definitely something to be considered.

> I had thought about something like this. I guess it would really come down to where these stations would be on the maps. Definitely something to be considered.

Indeed.

I concur. I actually have something to add to that idea, if you don’t mind.

I think the locations on a map say like Ragnarok (Raggysocks) for example, you might have a AA/Ammo station/vendor in each base, and you have Power-up and weapon stations scattered throughout the map like having weapon vendor at the downed pelican and a power-up station on the open plain (overshield would so come in handy).

Also, would they be like a zone you capture and it drops ordnance, or is it a vendor you had in mind?

I think the ability to buy weapons like the Sniper Rifle or any power weapon for that matter is plain awful. That is unless there are some serious restrictions, because I do not want to play a BTB match where half way through there are 6 or so snipers as opposed to only the initial 2 that spawn. No better than the system we have now, in fact this is no different. Perhaps even worse as you can guarantee 100% of the time that you will get a power weapon since you’re actually choosing it.

I don’t agree with having to buy things like AAs because they are so basic and eventually everyone in the game may acquire one, making the cost of buying it more of a nuisance as opposed to it being a “tactical decision”.

I don’t really like this idea. Having to go to a “vendor” and then pull up an interface to select your purchase (If that’s the idea) just interrupts the flow of the game. Giving players who sit back with a DMR the opportunity to replenish ammo only to return to the same spot and continue cross-mappin’ or giving players who control the “vendor” and remain there access to a larger ammo pool does nothing but a disservice to map movement.

The scarcity of ammo is something that is so basic to map movement.

No support :frowning:

In addition,

1. powerups and in particular overshield should NEVER have the option to just be purchased.
  2. a system like this should never see the light of day in an objective gametype.

I dislike this idea.

Why are we trying to come up with these eloquent solutions to something that wasn’t a problem? Map spawns work better than any alternative I’ve seen.

we aren’t fixing, but merely making a different ingredient to the miz

> I dislike this idea.
>
> Why are we trying to come up with these eloquent solutions to something that wasn’t a problem? Map spawns work better than any alternative I’ve seen.

Yes I agree map spawns are better, but the basis of this thread is the theoretical return of ordnance and how it can be improved.

Not ordnance vs. static spawning

The idea of ordinance just bothers me I feel that yes maybe a player who is doing well deserves a reward but at the same time it is so easy to acquire one.They really should go back to map pick up incorporates more teamwork

I dislike this idea greatly because it takes away a few things that are essential to Halo gameplay.

1. It would certainly ruin game flow and pace and greatly increase camping

2. Halo has always been about “dueling”, you find a guy you shoot and strafe then move onto the next, this is why unlike many fps’, matches in Halo can be turned around by a single player.

Ordnance needs to be removed completely. Weapons simply need to spawn on the maps in consistent spots on a consistent timer.

Put the terminals in neutral areas of the map in order to require some map control first. Then, make all the game-changing ordnance like Sniper Rifles and Overshields cost at least 15 kills. A few on-map and respawning power items should encourage map flow. No one will randomly have rockets this way. They will be earned (or given) predictably.

Firstly, In case something like Personal Ordnance returns in the next Halo I think it should definitely not be random but static, so an important factor of Halo’s formula gets not harmed: equality.
Secondly, I think power weapons and power ups should not exist in PO to prevent that matches get cluttered with power weapons, to encourage map movement/ control and to help vehicle play on its feet again.

So in case something like PO returns I would prefer a simple refill for your selected loadout.
(of course loadouts have to be overhauled as well but that is not the topic)

Aside Personal Ordnance, I think Global Ordnance could become something like a side objective during the game.
What I mean with that:
Around one minute before a Global Ordnance Drop a waypoint would appear on everyone’s HUD that would lead to a fair location. The individual or team that manages it to control that location gets rewarded with the ordnance (a special power weapon or perhaps even a vehicle in BTB).

Why try to fix something that’sbroken at its base? PO should just be removed in favor of weapons-on-the-map.

I support this idea, but I feel there should be some tweaks to it. Mainly, there should be a map wide limit on the number of weapons that can purchased at one time, meaning not everyone can buy a Sniper Rifle at once, you have to wait for one to despawn and then some before buying another Sniper Rifle. Also, I think that a team would have to control a small area around the dispensers (like a hill,) so that a player can’t just run in to an opposing base, pull out the Rockets, and destroy the enemy team.

> I support this idea, but I feel there should be some tweaks to it. Mainly, there should be a map wide limit on the number of weapons that can purchased at one time, meaning not everyone can buy a Sniper Rifle at once, you have to wait for one to despawn and then some before buying another Sniper Rifle. Also, I think that a team would have to control a small area around the dispensers (like a hill,) so that a player can’t just run in to an opposing base, pull out the Rockets, and destroy the enemy team.

Yeah, I have to agree with this guy. (Wow it’s amazing all of that slipped my mind when I read the OP.)

> I think the ability to buy weapons like the Sniper Rifle or any power weapon for that matter is plain awful. That is unless there are some serious restrictions, because I do not want to play a BTB match where half way through there are 6 or so snipers as opposed to only the initial 2 that spawn. No better than the system we have now, in fact this is no different. Perhaps even worse as you can guarantee 100% of the time that you will get a power weapon since you’re actually choosing it.
>
> I don’t agree with having to buy things like AAs because they are so basic and eventually everyone in the game may acquire one, making the cost of buying it more of a nuisance as opposed to it being a “tactical decision”.
>
> I don’t really like this idea. Having to go to a “vendor” and then pull up an interface to select your purchase (If that’s the idea) just interrupts the flow of the game. Giving players who sit back with a DMR the opportunity to replenish ammo only to return to the same spot and continue cross-mappin’ or giving players who control the “vendor” and remain there access to a larger ammo pool does nothing but a disservice to map movement.
>
> The scarcity of ammo is something that is so basic to map movement.
>
> No support :frowning:
>
> In addition,
> 1. powerups and in particular overshield should NEVER have the option to just be purchased.
> 2. a system like this should never see the light of day in an objective gametype.

Ouch. Thanks for that boost in self-esteem.

I see what you’re saying, and your concerns make sense. But their are solutions. Like I said, any power weapons would cost much more than, say, a couple of frag grenades or a battle rifle. The more powerful the weapon/equipment item/perk/powerup, the more it costs. And obviously, every single weapon wouldn’t be available at the station; they would vary by map/gametype. There could be restrictions on the amount of times you buy the same thing, as in, you can only purchase extra ammo twice or the rocket launcher once.

I don’t see how going to a “vendor” breaks the flow of gameplay anymore than hacking a terminal in a gametype does. A player can still be killed in the middle of a purchase, making it something of a risk/reward system. And it’s not as if everyone will be able to purchase something at the exact same time. Most importantly, even if a player does want to purchase a particular gadget, he/she would still have to travel to the appropriate station, which the enemy could make hard to do. In some cases, said player may have to purchase something at an available station to help him make it to the station he wants.

I don’t see how this is “no different” from the current system. In the current system, players would instantly get their weapon/gadget of choice after getting the right amount of points. In my proposed system, getting the right amount of points is only the first step. You still have to travel to the right station, while avoiding being killed on the way, and then purchase it. And I stress again, the more powerful weapons and gadgets would cost much more.

So… Kind of like Brink?

I don’t know, this kind of seems like one of those compromises that ends up pleasing no-one. It’s fixed the movement incentive problem to an extent but it won’t have the same contestability as a classic system since you can get any weapon from any of the control points. And it will also have a similar level of unpredictability as PODs.

I think if we are going to evolve the weapon system, it should probably be an evolution of a classic system. weapons on map. Maybe it could have static timers, dynamic late pick up delays, maybe waypoints…

Whist I think elements like custom loadouts may have a future, I think PODs are one of those things that can just simply die in a fire. From what I can tell they are almost universally disliked, nay despised, particularly by classic Halo fans. And I don’t think we will ever warm to them. I think 343 should cut there loses on this one.

> I don’t know, this kind of seems like one of those compromises that ends up pleasing no-one. It’s fixed the movement incentive problem to an extent but it won’t have the same contestability as a classic system since you can get any weapon from any of the control points. And it will also have a similar level of unpredictability as PODs.

You misunderstand. You can’t get every weapon from every control point. There are specific stations for weapons, powerups, equipment, and armor mods.

I wouldn’t miss ordinance if it left.