/Psych. Breakdown - Commander S. Palmer/

I wrote this up in a different discussion so if it seems out of context at any point you can figure it out on your own simply enough. It was in relation to why Sarah dislikes Catherine.
JKI

/Catherine created the best Spartans to ever exist. In her eyes every other soldier/person is less that what she created. She is the god of her own world in that sense so there is a bit of hostility on her part as well. Palmer is under orders but also wants to prove something to herself: that she is as good as she has to be to finish a mission. Her mission was to get the Spartan-IV soldiers to stop the Didact and his Promethean knights as well as to find our what Requiem is. She was beaten out by a presumed dead Spartan hero whom she probably looked up to. She was the best of the S-IVs but is now so much farther down the chain od respect (not command) than she was previously. The fact that her Captain (Thomas Laskey) is practically taking orders from a civilian and then putting them onto Sarah and her fire-teams is somewhat degrading to her Spartan honour. The only way she can take out her stress is by commanding teams, and in the rare case, taking on a mission herself. In this case her mission was to guard and watch over a civilian scientist who created the greatest things known to humanity (ORION/Spartan programme, the smartest AI, and the Infinity just to name a few) and whom is now labeled as a terrorist. Palmer is incredibly intimidated that a person who she could physically crush is so much more than most people could ever become. She probably is striving to impress Halsey while at the same time trying to follow commands and take her out because of her mission, personal vendetta, and jealousy. She would be incredibly confused (due to the S-IVs not being integrated at a young age to that can be emotionally detached) and having to rely on her only fall back of trying to perfectly execute and follow through with her assignment. She unfortunately can’t help but be human and stress out to the point of anger or frustration. These are all normal symptoms (like not appreciating scientists or research teams as much as she should) of an over-exaggerated ego which has been shattered by several people who are better than her. She has so far been unsuccessful with completing her mission since she has not only lost her prisoner but also she has been manipulated and tricked by Halsey. Palmer injuring Halsey would only further these symptoms due to the new orders of having to find and protect her since Gabriel Thorne found new information on what Catherine was doing. We will see how her character progresses and what becomes of her if and when she yet again lets her anger and frustration get the better of her./

China wants their wall back.

Also, I haven’t gotten any impression that Palmer isn’t confident in her command. Seems like 100% speculation.

You forgot about her intense hatred of scientists with heads resembling eggs.

She’s so pretty… i hate her attitude… but i LOVE her. she’s just… wow. i’d take an energy sword through the torso just to look into her eyes passonatly

> China wants their wall back.
>
> Also, I haven’t gotten any impression that Palmer isn’t confident in her command. Seems like 100% speculation.

It’s not that she isn’t confident, it’s just that she is scared and doesn’t know how to handle it properly. If you have read ‘The Fall Of Reach’ then you will know that even John got scared but he knew how to handle it and separate himself from his mission in a proper way. It isn’t speculation, it’s a classic mental analysis.

> You forgot about her intense hatred of scientists with heads resembling eggs.

I actually did include that originally but took it out upon further study. She doesn’t hate them, she just somewhat under appreciates them and their capabilities. She is a field operative so she hasn’t yet learned the value of intel. Due to her superiority complex she mocks them for fun, it’s nothing more than just teasing.

> > You forgot about her intense hatred of scientists with heads resembling eggs.
>
> I actually did include that originally but took it out upon further study. She doesn’t hate them, she just somewhat under appreciates them and their capabilities. She is a field operative so she hasn’t yet learned the value of intel. Due to her superiority complex she mocks them for fun, it’s nothing more than just teasing.

I think her attitude towards the scientists has more to do with the fact that just about everything they do seems to put everyone under her command at risk. Has no one noticed that the scientists don’t seem to have much respect for the SPARTANS?

> > > You forgot about her intense hatred of scientists with heads resembling eggs.
> >
> > I actually did include that originally but took it out upon further study. She doesn’t hate them, she just somewhat under appreciates them and their capabilities. She is a field operative so she hasn’t yet learned the value of intel. Due to her superiority complex she mocks them for fun, it’s nothing more than just teasing.
>
> I think her attitude towards the scientists has more to do with the fact that just about everything they do seems to put everyone under her command at risk. Has no one noticed that the scientists don’t seem to have much respect for the SPARTANS?

It is a mutual thing, the Spartans undervalue the scientists and the scientists undervalue the Spartans. Both sides see each as expendable; the scientists seeing the Spartan-IVs as super lab-rats and the Spartans seeing them as thinking toothpicks.

Palmer is a perfect example of why grown humans cannot be made into spartans. they just dont live up to their reputation.

Wow. I’d say most people want her six feet underground.

As for me, I don’t necessarily hate her, but she has a lot of improvement before I would actually like her attitude and general behavior.

> Palmer is a perfect example of why grown humans cannot be made into spartans. they just dont live up to their reputation.

Thorne seems to be shaping up to be a good Spartan. I see a lot of potential with him.

You are reading it wrong…

Halsey helped with the infinity but didn’t build it all herself. She has a tendency to go, my _____.

Halsey choose to use children for her project. She wasn’t responsible for the Orion program.

I think Palmer likes Lasky a lot. She doesn’t want to see him court martialed over Halsey. Plus she admires John-117…

I really think she as a character improved in the second half of season 1

I think she’s okay. She’s annoying sometimes, but not too bad. I don’t understand why so many people hate her so passionately, though!

> > China wants their wall back.
> >
> > Also, I haven’t gotten any impression that Palmer isn’t confident in her command. Seems like 100% speculation.
>
> It’s not that she isn’t confident, it’s just that she is scared and doesn’t know how to handle it properly. If you have read ‘The Fall Of Reach’ then you will know that even John got scared but he knew how to handle it and separate himself from his mission in a proper way. It isn’t speculation, it’s a classic mental analysis.

When did she ever show that she was scared?

Don’t let your hatred for Palmer deny you from the fact that Palmer’s a successful character. 343i obviously made Palmer the way she is for a reason. 343i wanted people to hate her. And they delivered. Now mostly everyone who watches the CG episodes are hooked on Palmer, whether they like her or despise her. She’s an engaging character, that is vital to the story line. Removing her from the equation, or changing who she is, will only make the story dull.

i agree imperfectninija removing her would be a huge mistake i like the idea of haveing a commander like her she adds much needed characterization to spartan ops and campagin

There are lots of other, more recent, threads on Sarah Palmer. It wasn’t necessary to bring this one back from the dead.