PSA- This is a game not a simulator.

There’s always people who vouch for sprint saying how Spartan’s should be able to sprint. Here’s a counter argument, why can’t we prone? How come Spartans can throw things, but I can’t in gameplay? Why do I put my gun down when I sprint, can’t super soldiers shoot and run at the same time? If we are picking and choosing what to add, why sprint? To compete with other games? That doesn’t seem to be working.
Just because something is realistic, or we can all do it, doesn’t mean it’s good for gameplay. The argument for lore and realism has been shot down hundreds of time. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, abilities DO affect how things are played. This is a multiplayer game, not a simulator.

JUST BECAUSE PALMER SAYS IT IS A SIMULATION IN WARZONE DOES NOT MAKE THE GAME A SIMULATOR.

This was exactly my point. LORE SHOULD NOT AFFECT MULTIPLAYER.

How hard is this for people to understand?

Inb4 wargames

Oh man I didn’t even pick up on the idea of prone…though it would seem strange to see a super solider laying on the ground…trying to blend in with the small blades of grass LoL.

Dude im pretty sure this game is a simulation. And why sprint and no prone? Because that is what they chose to add idk what you mean? They needed sprint for the large warzone maps.

Personally, I could go either way with sprint.

> 2535446258961514;3:
> Dude im pretty sure this is game is a simulation. And why sprint and no prone? Because that is what they chose to add idk what you mean? They needed sprint for the large warzone maps.

…oooorrrrr they needed the large warzone maps for sprint.

Sprint’s all well and good, but when I spawn on Empire I want to be able to take a seat on the edge and look out at the skyline as my Spartan eats breakfast to get ready for the fight. I’m talking true immersion.

> 2533274819567236;6:
> Sprint’s all well and good, but when I spawn on Empire I want to be able to take a seat on the edge and look out at the skyline as my Spartan eats breakfast to get ready for the fight. I’m talking true immersion.

This guy gets it. I want to be able to eat and sleep and stuff, forget this sprint stuff, give TRUE IMMERSION.

IDK prone is not halo. That just feels like a COD feature that very few would want. Halo is too fast paced for prone. IMO

> 2535446258961514;3:
> Dude im pretty sure this game is a simulation. And why sprint and no prone? Because that is what they chose to add idk what you mean? They needed sprint for the large warzone maps.

War games is not an excuse. Lore should have no effect on gameplay. If it does, why can’t I do the things mentioned above? Warzone is BTB with stupidly large maps. Maps can be scaled back and we wouldn’t have as many deadzones on the map.

Warzone is a simulation. That’s been stated many times before by 343

> 2533274826620251;10:
> Warzone is a simulation. That’s been stated many times before by 343

Read the OP carefully next time please. LORE SHOULD NOT WORK IT’S WAY INTO MULTIPLAYER.

Justifying it as a simulation doesn’t give it a pass. Why can’t I high five people?

> 2535461287427665;2:
> Oh man I didn’t even pick up on the idea of prone…though it would seem strange to see a super solider laying on the ground…trying to blend in with the small blades of grass LoL.

I think prone would be a good addition to Halo multiplayer. It would make it easier to “fit” into cover, it would create new options for stealthy gameplay and think of the havoc you could wreak with a sniper rifle while lying on top of a building.

> 2533274809217985;8:
> IDK prone is not halo. That just feels like a COD feature that very few would want. Halo is too fast paced for prone. IMO

The same for sprint 4 years ago, but this community changed, and now any I’m betting there will be people who would rejoice if prone was in Halo 6.

Dear god don’t add prone into Halo. I can see the multiple threads complaining about it already with 1200+ replies, just like the sprint ones.
Personally, i don’t think it would fit into Halo MP anyway.

> 2533274970658419;9:
> > 2535446258961514;3:
> > Dude im pretty sure this game is a simulation. And why sprint and no prone? Because that is what they chose to add idk what you mean? They needed sprint for the large warzone maps.
>
>
> War games is not an excuse. Lore should have no effect on gameplay. If it does, why can’t I do the things mentioned above? Warzone is BTB with stupidly large maps. Maps can be scaled back and we wouldn’t have as many deadzones on the map.

I totally get where you’re coming from. I could go either way on sprint, I like the feature and use it effectively when I can but wouldn’t be sad if it went away. I have a couple reasons for liking and disliking it… I think it’s a good tactical mechanic to add another layer of evasion and movement to combat. And I’m not convinced that’s what ruined arena map design - I’ve read a lot of the arguments but I’ve never seen like a forge comparison of a dev map designed around sprint vs a version of the same map that isn’t “elongated” and used without sprint and how gameplay is affected (but can someone please do that???). Personally I think there were a few Reach maps that were great (Zealot, countdown, powerhouse), so it seems more like crappy map designs rather than the mechanic that is at fault. I think a few classic maps with updated (not perfectly 1:1 recreations) would play really well. A good examples is the Narrows remake I have on my file share - have played 2 hour long customs on that map w/ regular H5 rules and enjoyed the hell out of it.

That being said, Ive been playing DOOM a lot and it makes an EXCELLENTLY case for why sprint is unnecessary. The fast base movement is pretty exhilarating and makes the game feel pretty hardcore. Gameplay is fast and it frees up a button since there is no sprint function, and I really enjoy it. And halo ce\2 are my favorite games, upping base movement by 10% increments makes them feel on a similar level of brutal and fast.

It drives me nuts when people post on threads about their opinions but don’t offer any ideas for a solution (no offense to anyone), so I’d like to share a couple thoughts I have for resolving the problem :

1. Remove sprint and put base speed somewhere in between H2/H3 mlg speed and doom’s speed, simply
  2. Keep thruster packs and focus more on using lateral thrust for evasion/ movement instead of sprint. Maybe increase the distance thruster pack propels a spartan by 10-20%. Might improve map design too, if you believe that sprint is the source of the terrible map design.
  3. Remove sprint, Make thruster have a bit of an overcharge, almost like the boost on a ghost. What I mean by that is: instead of sprint, hold the thruster button for an extended/faster distance traveled, lasts for 2-4 seconds, has a longer cool down time compared to a regular thrust. Essentially a very short version of a ghosts boost. You have to make the decision to hold the button and committing to a trajectory IF you want to use it. COULD THIS BE AN ALTERNATIVE THAT STRIKES A MIDDLE GROUND BETWEEN SPRINT LOVERS AND HATERS??
  4. Keep sprint but Take Truth as an example - it is a remake of a classic map, but it isn’t a perfect replica - it has been tweaked and adjusted for the new movements. I think it is one of 3 decent maps in the whole game, and I think there are a number of classic maps that would play PHENOMENAL with adjustments for H5 mechanics. I think the flaws in map design come from a lack of knowledge about previous maps that were popular AND competitive, and from 343 trying to separate themselves from bungie. I think these are more of a culprit than sprint in the flawed map design of H5
  5. Keep sprint or remove, but please please PLEASE for the love of all things holy and unholy, get rid of Spartan charge and bury it in an unmarked grave. That is the ability that chaps my -Yoink- more than all of the rest combined.

> 2533274826620251;10:
> Warzone is a simulation. That’s been stated many times before by 343

Yeah, ingame it’s regarded as a simulation for the Spartans, the game itself, Halo 5: Guardians however is not a simulation.

Having all these things removed that have an effect on the gameplay would have its own effect and that would be a dull and boring game. Halo 5 has already been watered down with aa removed and thruster pack forced on every one to use whether they like it or not. It’s not even as good as in halo 4 it had more evasive practicalities.

> 2535461287427665;2:
> Oh man I didn’t even pick up on the idea of prone…though it would seem strange to see a super solider laying on the ground…trying to blend in with the small blades of grass LoL.

They did it in Reach’s Campaign in a cutscene. It did seem really strange though to see two Spartans, Noble-6 and Jun, crawling up to scout out the enemy ahead.

Anyways, I think they should keep sprint. My reasoning? Who does it really hurt in the end? Mostly the one sprinting since it puts you at a disadvantage most of the time. You can’t shoot, you can’t regen shields. I don’t think sprinting would be such a big deal if they would make arena maps a little bit larger and widen the motion sensor to 25m, and make Spartans’ blips glow even brighter on the radar when someone is sprinting. It would give you more of a heads up so you can start seeing people attempting to sprint at you going for that charge.

If they do take out sprinting, I think that the aim magnetism needs to be toned down a bit though. It’s a little ridiculous sometimes…

> 2533274961306591;18:
> > 2535461287427665;2:
> > Oh man I didn’t even pick up on the idea of prone…though it would seem strange to see a super solider laying on the ground…trying to blend in with the small blades of grass LoL.
>
>
> They did it in Reach’s Campaign in a cutscene. It did seem really strange though to see two Spartans, Noble-6 and Jun, crawling up to scout out the enemy ahead.
>
> Anyways, I think they should keep sprint. My reasoning? Who does it really hurt in the end? Mostly the one sprinting since it puts you at a disadvantage most of the time. You can’t shoot, you can’t regen shields. I don’t think sprinting would be such a big deal if they would make arena maps a little bit larger and widen the motion sensor to 25m, and make Spartans’ blips glow even brighter on the radar when someone is sprinting. It would give you more of a heads up so you can start seeing people attempting to sprint at you going for that charge.
>
> If they do take out sprinting, I think that the aim magnetism needs to be toned down a bit though. It’s a little ridiculous sometimes…

the bit about the radar nips is perfect!! Maybe make a small ring that “bips” every second when they’re at sprinting speed… Also what if, when a spartan is at top speed but outside of radar range, they show up on the edge of the radar just like an incoming vehicle does??

Mostly because 343i makes the decisions regarding gameplay, and they chose not to include going prone. Or that other stuff.