Proximity voice, where did it go?

There are very few things I find missing in Halo 4 that made me love the series. The feature I find most lacking though is the proximity voice chat that has been with the series since Halo 2. Not only does proximity voice allow you to detect a nearby opponent that believes sneaking implies blaring music through their headset or saying, “Hey I’m sneaking up on this guy” instead of adhering to the adage, “silence is golden”. This exclusion of proximity voice chat not only deprives some of the tension and immersion one feels while trying to be stealthy but also removes the playful jabs a healthy competition creates. At it’s most basic level removing proximity voice for the opposing team limits the communication the community has within the games it is playing.

P.S.- Bring back post game shots fired and accuracy counts please! I used to love playing no shots fired games and having solid post game proof to back it up :stuck_out_tongue:

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

bump for poll.

bumped again.

Bump. Also If you can give a brief explanation of why you believe it should or should not be brought back that would be great!

Proximity chat was the best for infection game types. It must return.

Bring it back!! And bring back the shots-fired stat!

Its gone, along with many other things that made Halo, Halo. All in an attempt to make Halo more “COD-like” so 343i can maximize profits.

> Its gone, along with many other things that made Halo, Halo. All in an attempt to make Halo more “COD-like” so 343i can maximize profits.

Yes, so many things gone that we love and made Halo what it is.

bump. Do you think, even in an attempt to be more COD like, that 343i would want to include proximity voice chat as it adds a higher element of realism?

I fully support this thread

No one talks anyhow.

I play in a large group and proximity chat was hilarious for banter when we were playing against each other, really good fun.

bump for more votes!

bumpty bump

Proximity chat was removed because it proved to be a drain on bandwidth that outweighed its utility. One of the things that allow the removal of push-to-talk in Halo: Reach was the removal of proximity chat. With how laggy Halo 4, I certainly hope it isn’t added in.

However, if Halo 5 can solve that issue, I would gladly take proximity chat because it had a ton of potential. It just wasn’t realized.

agree with op

I would like to see it back but only when you kill someone. Say I kill a player and run over his body I can hear him while he respawns.

proximity voice will confuse competitive teams that call out. People will just end up muting the entire other team so the other team can’t hear their call outs.

Maybe add the option to turn it on or off? or bring back competitive playlists with it off and social playlists with it turned on

bump

Wouldn’t matter. I’m always in party chat with my team.

Or you can just mute the enemy team like I do before every match.

Prox Voice as an audio option would be great.

> Or you can just mute the enemy team like I do before every match.

D:

Halo: Reach and Halo 4 have a bad “mute ban” system where if someone gets muted too many times, they are automatically muted by default for everyone they encounter. When you manually mute the entire enemy team, you’re bringing them all one step closer to a wrongful ban from in-game voice.

Use audio settings instead. There should be an option in the game’s menus to limit voice chat to your team and party, without having to manually mute players and send them off to Banchorage. :\