Proposed Infinity Slayer Gametype "Gambit"

I find the whole change from kills to points an interesting change for Halo 4 and want to see how it pans out in the long run. It adds a little variety to the gameplay by making players want to go for the extra assassination or strive to get that spree. I hope it spices things up a bit and adds to the organized chaos that is Halo multiplayer.

In lieu of that concept, I wanted to propose a variation based on what we have seen of Infinity Slayer. As for what to call it, I can only think of something along the lines of Gambit Slayer so as to not start the CoD comparisons (by calling it Wager Slayer).

The core concept to this game type is that you have to pay for personal ordnance drops. The price could be steep or it could be nominal depending on how the programers feel it would best be balanced.

The idea is to make players think before they request a drop forcing you to determine if paying for ordnance “A” would help you get more points than it cost and overall benefit your team. This gametype would push the player think for the benefit of the team over self and PTO.

True, there will always be the players who always get the drop and then cost the team more than the individual contributed, but things like that are unavoidable in any gametype. Playing in a party would greatly benefit you since you would have established basic communication skills within your group and have a general idea of the other players’ abilities.

It might be beneficial to have a relatively short time limit or, perhaps, a longer time limit that prompts the player with the dilemma of “Do I spend points and possibly make the game last longer, or do I fast from spending to expedite the end of the match?”

Please, let me know your opinions and any suggestions you have. I will be updating the OP with possibilities suggest by you guys. I think this is a novel idea that could have a great population within Infinity Slayer and would add to the overall sandbox of Halo 4.

(Credit to steele66) There could be a “salary” system where players have a maximum amount of points that they can spend in a game. The salary could be a set total or maybe even a regenerating number that goes up over time or as points are gained by the individual.

(Credit to IDKwhatName2Say) Perhaps have ordnance dropped vehicles for larger maps. These would have a steep cost due to the game-changing nature of vehicles. Alternatively, have a gametype where vehicles are cheap and let the fender bending begin!!

(Credit to Grumbledock) Possibly have only your own points at risk. Instead of wagering your collective team’s points, exchange your own credits that you would normally get as money/experience during the game to the same degree of a risk/reward system as the whole team would do if a collective pool were used. This would eliminate the risk of hurting those on your team to buy a drop since you would only be affecting yourself. Not as much of a collective group decision, but could be coordinated to have even coverage within your team, thus not deterring the need for communication.

I like the idea, and it seems like it would work. I love that it would basically force people into being good teammates and would make people think more, but i could see people using this to make there team mad on purpose, like spending on the points so that they would lose. Maybe limit how many points each person could use.

That’s a good idea. I’ll add it to the OP once I get better internet back in my hut. Thanks for your feedback :wink:

this is how i think infinity slayer and classic slayer even other gametypes is going to play out with armor abilities, specializations and power ups (yes power ups, i think there back in the game and i heard somebody say that speed boost is a power up along with others like over shield)

Armor abilities: thruster pack, jet pack, hologram, hardlight shield, promethean vision

power ups: active camo, over shield, speed boost (available in ordanance drops on infinity slayer, maybe classic slayer as pick ups)

specializations: AA Efficiency, mobility, firepower, ammo pack, resupply grenades, awareness, sensor

basically infinity slayer is going to have armor abilities and specializations in the loadouts. one power up in the random weapon drops along with two power weapons to pick from once meter is filled with kills and assists. classic slayer with loadouts and a good chance like classic halo is with power up and power weapon pickups.

OP is updated. I took the liberty to expound upon your suggestion and adding in a bit of my own thoughts on your really good idea, steele66.

Anybody else have a suggestion to improve this gametype? I believe it has a significant chance to be Halo material so gimmie some input, people!

I love the idea, but could you call in, say vehicles in BTB using the same concept? (because awesomeness would ensue)

> I love the idea, but could you call in, say vehicles in BTB using the same concept? (because awesomeness would ensue)

Added you suggestion to OP :wink:

With that idea in mind it would be awesome to have one as a sabotage for the enemy team, like you drop it down close to a team mate who is about to die, the enemy thinks its for him but he dies before he can get to it, so they naturally think that whatever weapons there are will be useful, then BOOM, it explodes and kills them. It seems fun.

Another idea, (kinda unrelated) for custom games, you could set up weapon ordnance stations on a map, maybe some that are sabotaged, some that arnt, what ever you wanted. (sorry for run on post)

Sorry,I’m having problems with my computer, half of my post didnt make it?

But anyway, i think it would be cool if you could you could help your team out with a drop, like a buddie in trouble doesn’t have the time to use a drop so you buy a drop, have a gun (like the Target designator)and fire it down by them, it would be something that always happens when you by one, you could place it beside you or by a teammate, or lock it onto an enemy for a funny kill.

> I love the idea, but could you call in, say vehicles in BTB using the same concept? (because awesomeness would ensue)

Yes, you can, it’s called Homefront, try it :wink:
The “ordnance drop” and “earn points to drop in vehicleS/power weapons” is actually exactly the same system as the Battlepoint system in Homefront, with minor tweaks (enemies can steal your stuff). Still, it’s a great system and made Homefronts multiplayer the best to date, even better then Halo imo :slight_smile:
When player have to “play” to get stuff, have to get kills and such to get rewards, they do play, and not camp.

I’d love too see a system where you can exchange the points earned during a game (aka your exp/spartan points) for ordnance instead. That way it wouldn’t hurt the team if a random newbie calls in 3 ordnances and wastes them all, only himself.
If you’re a good player on the other hand, calling an ordnance drop should end up with you earning more points then it costs (risk/reward). You can play it safe and buy nothing to make sure to earn a decent amount on exp/spartan points, or go “wild” and call in new stuff all the time to make sure you always have the upper hand and hence the potential to get more kills/win. Risk/reward…

> > I love the idea, but could you call in, say vehicles in BTB using the same concept? (because awesomeness would ensue)
>
> Yes, you can, it’s called Homefront, try it :wink:
> The “ordnance drop” and “earn points to drop in vehicleS/power weapons” is actually exactly the same system as the Battlepoint system in Homefront, with minor tweaks (enemies can steal your stuff). Still, it’s a great system and made Homefronts multiplayer the best to date, even better then Halo imo :slight_smile:
> When player have to “play” to get stuff, have to get kills and such to get rewards, they do play, and not camp.
>
> I’d love too see a system where you can exchange the points earned during a game (aka your exp/spartan points) for ordnance instead. That way it wouldn’t hurt the team if a random newbie calls in 3 ordnances and wastes them all, only himself.
> If you’re a good player on the other hand, calling an ordnance drop should end up with you earning more points then it costs (risk/reward). You can play it safe and buy nothing to make sure to earn a decent amount on exp/spartan points, or go “wild” and call in new stuff all the time to make sure you always have the upper hand and hence the potential to get more kills/win. Risk/reward…

I like your idea, and I think it would work really well if they would do it.

That addresses my concerns of someone using up all the points to screw over there team on purpose to, and In general gets rid of allot of potential problems such as giving weapons to the enemy team (they would lose points and it would be harder to get them back)

All ideas so far (including original)
(credit to Haven923) I wanted to propose a variation based on what we have seen of Infinity Slayer. As for what to call it, I can only think of something along the lines of Gambit Slayer so as to not start the CoD comparisons (by calling it Wager Slayer).

The core concept to this game type is that you have to pay for personal ordnance drops. The price could be steep or it could be nominal depending on how the programers feel it would best be balanced.

The idea is to make players think before they request a drop forcing you to determine if paying for ordnance “A” would help you get more points than it cost and overall benefit your team. This gametype would push the player think for the benefit of the team over self and PTO.

True, there will always be the players who always get the drop and then cost the team more than the individual contributed, but things like that are unavoidable in any gametype. Playing in a party would greatly benefit you since you would have established basic communication skills within your group and have a general idea of the other players’ abilities.

It might be beneficial to have a relatively short time limit or, perhaps, a longer time limit that prompts the player with the dilemma of “Do I spend points and possibly make the game last longer, or do I fast from spending to expedite the end of the match?”

Please, let me know your opinions and any suggestions you have. I will be updating the OP with possibilities suggest by you guys. I think this is a novel idea that could have a great population within Infinity Slayer and would add to the overall sandbox of Halo 4.

(Credit to steele66) There could be a “salary” system where players have a maximum amount of points that they can spend in a game. The salary could be a set total or maybe even a regenerating number that goes up over time or as points are gained by the individual.

i think it would be cool if you could you could help your team out with a drop, like a buddie in trouble doesn’t have the time to use a drop so you buy a drop, have a gun (like the Target designator)and fire it down by them, it would be something that always happens when you by one, you could place it beside you or by a teammate, or lock it onto an enemy for a funny kill.

With that idea in mind it would be awesome to have one as a sabotage for the enemy team, like you drop it down close to a team mate who is about to die, the enemy thinks its for him but he dies before he can get to it, so they naturally think that whatever weapons there are will be useful, then BOOM, it explodes and kills them. It seems fun.

(Credit to IDKwhatName2Say) Perhaps have ordnance dropped vehicles for larger maps. These would have a steep cost due to the game-changing nature of vehicles. Alternatively, have a gametype where vehicles are cheap and let the fender bending begin!!
(sorry if i missed any)

I updated the OP again. Steele66, I left out the sabotage thing because I think that would ruin the game dynamic by preventing people from wanting to take the drops. It would probably be over abused (since the cost would almost certainly have to be less-or-equal to the gain of one or two kills) Also, the calling in ordnance for teammates is already there to a sense. Teammates spawn close to the rest of the team with the new spawning system that we’ve seen. This sort of consolidates the group mechanic a bit and increases the odds of a teammate being close by when you call in a drop. So you just call in a drop and they pick it up :wink:

I think it’s a great idea. A game that you might want to refer to is the Section 8 series. They use a personal salary system that based on kills and completing the objectives to get money. The salary system should have power weapons costing low salary cost and vehicles costing a high amount of personal salary. I don’t know if this would help with your idea, but I figure I would put my opinion in.

Section 8? Is that a newer game? I’ve been kinda out of the know for a while now xD

> Section 8? Is that a newer game? I’ve been kinda out of the know for a while now xD

It is a HORRIBLE GAME that feautured ODST style dropping and jetpacks…it 's a sci fi game

It 15 sequal,S8:prejudice,is much better.

As for your idea,it’s pretty good

> I updated the OP again. Steele66, I left out the sabotage thing because I think that would ruin the game dynamic by preventing people from wanting to take the drops. It would probably be over abused (since the cost would almost certainly have to be less-or-equal to the gain of one or two kills) Also, the calling in ordnance for teammates is already there to a sense. Teammates spawn close to the rest of the team with the new spawning system that we’ve seen. This sort of consolidates the group mechanic a bit and increases the odds of a teammate being close by when you call in a drop. So you just call in a drop and they pick it up :wink:

Thanks, and I can see how the sabotage idea is flawed now :stuck_out_tongue: and I didn’t realize teammates could pick up your ordnance drops.