Proposed Halo 4 Matchmaking System

First and foremost, I’ve played a ton of online Halo over the past few years. I’ve been in pretty much every place in the halo hierarchy: from a casual player who just enjoyed some btb and grifball to matchmaking warrior to where I am today as a competitive MLG/GB player. It’s because of my experience that I believe my solution will make all halo players happy. So without further delay, here’s my proposed matchmaking system.

>

Ranked:
The playlists utilizing whatever competitive ranking system 343 intends to implement. Players are matched against those with a similar skill level, and parties of similar sizes. All playlists are DMR/BR loadouts, sprint only, radar enabled, with armor add-ons disabled, unless otherwise noted.

Lone Wolves: 6-8 Man FFA. Power weapons are disabled.
Team Slayer: 4v4 Team game. Basically your standard Halo slayer experience.
Team Doubles: 2v2 Team game. Slayer is first option for voting with objective games (flag/oddball) as secondary options.
Team Objective: 4v4 team game. Standard objective playlist. Teams of 3 can match teams of 4.
Team Hardcore: 4v4 Team game with a mix of slayer and objective… This playlist will be replaced by the MLG playlist once v1 is released. Radar and vehicles disabled.
MLG: Whatever settings the team over at MLG implements.
Team Snipers: 4v4 Team Slayer. Radar disabled, sniper rifle starts. Shotty Snipers can also be implemented.
Team Swat: 4v4 Teams with a mix of slayer and objective. Radar disabled, no shields.
Big Team Battle: 8v8 Team game with a mix of slayer and objective. Party restrictions lessened so that parties of 4 or greater can match teams of 8. Skill search expands from that of the other playlists.

Social:
Playlists which do not utilize visible trueskill. There are no party restrictions and gametypes are playlist specific. Guests are allowed to play in these playlists.

Rumble Pit: 8 man ffa playlist with a mix of slayer and objective. Default AR loadouts with choice of armor ability.
Social Squad 5v5 slayer/objective playlist. Default AR loadouts with choice of armor ability. Basically a mix of social slayer and social big team.
Multi-Team: 3v3v3v3 mix of slayer and objective. Default AR loadouts with choice of armor ability.
Action Sack: Standard Action Sack playlist.
Grifball: Yeah, it’s grifball.
Living Dead: Brains…
Invasion:

Firefight:
I’m not an expert on firefight but the settings in Reach seemed to be popular. If anyone has suggestions I’m more than willing to include them in the OP.

>

I’m sure some of you are wondering why I made the decisions I made. To give you an idea behind my thought process, the general idea was to make it so playlists are not taking population from each other. Removing redundancy increases playlist population so you are more likely to get a better match through trueskill.

So why did I include most of the playlists in ranked? If you listen to Ninja’s rant, he’ll make a good number of points I agree with. A competitive ranking system benefits everyone. With a visible rank players have something to play for, and with tight restrictions the lopsided games won’t occur. Halo needs a thriving ranked matchmaking system to excel, so hopefully we’ll see something to H3 in H4.

If you agree, please help keep the thread alive and thank the post so 343 might give it a look.

Add in social BigTeambattle and im with you 100%
I understand squad slayer is 6v6 but its not the same

A 50 / 50 mix of Ranked and social works best Although im in favor of more Ranked playlists then social for the most part.

I like it. And there will be no FF in Halo 4.

Make Social Squad 5v5.

You’ve also forgotten “Infinity Slayer” which will go under the Social category.

I can’t imagine Ranked BTB working well. Maybe change it to a Squad Battle type playlist?

All of the social playlists should be affected by and have the H4 changes added to them (loadouts, perks, etc). There should also be more social playlists to give casual players more options if we were to get our ranked playlists.

They need double exp weekends to make a return! :slight_smile:

Can Cossta be the Shishka of Halo 4, please?

> They need double exp weekends to make a return! :slight_smile:

yes and EXP per playlist

that is all

In H4 there will be no predetermined load-outs, everyone makes their own. It helps combat that moment when you’re like, “NO! Slayer? Argh, now I gotta use the AR…”
Oh, and no more Firefight. This feels… pretty bland. I don’t like this idea since there is no creativity and just copies and pastes the Halo 3 mp system.

No AAs and Modifications for ranked please only Classic Halo settings.

Why not replace “Team Hardecore” with a “Team Classic” since a ton of people want it and it’d please the ranked population

AND SWORDS IN LONE WOLVES! I have missed the days of sword matches in halo 3. I wish they had them in reach

Sounds a lot like Halo 3, which you made clear. Not a bad purposal, I was a huge fan of H3. Also, as other have already said, Spartan Ops is replacing firefight.

They should make a Team Triples. Also keep the power weapons in Lone wolves. How can you feel good at the game if you can’t even counter a person who used power weapons the whole game :slight_smile:

… yes

Something I know that would make Halo 4 the best multiplayer out of all the current mainstream shooters is playlists that only take parties. For Example, a Team Slayer playlist with only randoms, and a team slayer playlist that only accepts parties. If a party of 2 goes into the playlist, it’ll get another party of 2 on it’s team against a team of 2 parties of 2. (lol) Parties of 3 will only be able to access the multi-team party playlist. If a party of 4 goes into TS, it’ll get matched against another party of 4.

> No AAs and Modifications for ranked please only Classic Halo settings.

I’m one of the biggest opposers to sprint but you have to learn to deal with it. Halo is changing, and while it may not be for the better, you have to adapt.

> Make Social Squad 5v5.
>
> You’ve also forgotten “Infinity Slayer” which will go under the Social category.
>
> I can’t imagine Ranked BTB working well. Maybe change it to a Squad Battle type playlist?
>
> All of the social playlists should be affected by and have the H4 changes added to them (loadouts, perks, etc). There should also be more social playlists to give casual players more options if we were to get our ranked playlists.

Infinity slayer can be a game type within the squad playlist.

Ranked BTB was very good in h3 until SBTB killed it.

Social playlists which are the exact same as ranked playlists are redundant and decrease the probability of getting a good game in ranked.

> Add in social BigTeambattle and im with you 100%
> I understand squad slayer is 6v6 but its not the same
>
> A 50 / 50 mix of Ranked and social works best Although im in favor of more Ranked playlists then social for the most part.

SBTB is redundant and would kill RBTB. RBTB provides better matches for everyone.

Support.

Like someone else said, there’s no FF.

> > Add in social BigTeambattle and im with you 100%
> > I understand squad slayer is 6v6 but its not the same
> >
> > A 50 / 50 mix of Ranked and social works best Although im in favor of more Ranked playlists then social for the most part.
>
> SBTB is redundant and would kill RBTB. RBTB provides better matches for everyone.

Thats understandable but it would never happen .

Im all for just a Ranked BTB as I would play it almost none stop But I don’t see it happening thats all .