Everyone knows there’s a problem with progression, but I see a lot of people wanting to treat part of the disease or the symptoms rather than the actual issue. Some of you may have seen me post about this in others’ topics.
Battle Pass progression is “too slow”.
This is actually a false problem. Battle Pass progression isn’t slow - many people are already level 10+ in two days, for free. It isn’t slow - it’s too specific. Game design 101, always reward your players for playing, reward them more for playing well.
You aren’t rewarded for your time playing or for playing well, only for playing a specific way.
Provide 20xp for a game played, additional 10xp for a win, and then 1% of your personal score. For a score of 2000, that means you’re getting 50xp per game played.
Edit: the per game played and per win bonus XP can be limited per day, in order to stop people from obsessively burning through the BP getting too far ahead from other players.
People grind challenges and play selfishly, quit out if they can’t work on challenges.
Fixing or even just putting a band-aid on XP won’t solve this issue. Due to FOMO for the weekly item, people will always be doing it.
- can’t work on all challenges at once, so you are constantly altering how you play
- challenges aren’t conducive to the game mode they are specific to
- can’t choose what to play to work on due to playlists
- time limited item creates FOMO
- allow Premium purchasers to work on all challenges simultaneously rather than 4 at a time. This will allow for more natural XP progression and only grinders will work to finish out the last few challenges.
- make challenges conducive to gameplay. All “kill x etc” should be exclusive to Slayer game modes. All objective challenges should be to help win the game.
- split up gametypes so that the only limitation on working on a challenge is getting the right map.
- add map vetoing or voting.
- punish quitting (XP loss?) And repeated quitting. Yes, even in casual modes.
- remove time limit to complete “capstone” challenges, and requirement to unlock the challenges themselves.
These will remove FOMO and significantly reduce people playing selfishly or quitting out.
One more change that I would personally like to see: rather than being random, really difficult challenges: capstone challenges should be hand-crafted and common across all players (ie, Vidmasters, Halo 3 armor unlocks, etc). Even better if the reward is related to the challenge (sword stance for bulltrue, assassination animation for 10 assassinations in a match, etc).