proof that first strike is no longer canon

well with all the chaos over FoR figured i would look into first strike and found two major inconsistencys that prevent it from being canon anymore

number one, operation first strike in the book happened september 13th, if that was true than in the mona lisa which takes place in october they wouldnt have needed to enact cole protocal since they all knew earth had been found already, but they did meaning earth hadnt been found by the covenant yet so that breaks canon with operation first strike. (new canon>old canon)

and second thing is the engenieers they bring back, that couldnt have happened since in ODST dare said that ONI had never gotten close to one.

so with that first strike is no longer halo canon

Oh teh noez, it’s not cannon anymorez!!!11!

Why do you think they re-published it if it wasn’t canon, and those two things are very minor.

> Oh teh noez, it’s not cannon anymorez!!!11!
>
> Why do you think they re-published it if it wasn’t canon, and those two things are very minor.

no they arnt, this means operation first strike never happened, thats a large section of the book that never happened. the book is simply no longer canon

and they re-published it A for more money and B to add extra small bits of information in at the end

The first thing I’ve learned from reading the Halo novels is never trust anything ONI says.

> The first thing I’ve learned from reading the Halo novels is never trust anything ONI says.

at least DARE was “nice” by ONI standards, and that still leaves the issue with the timeline dates

1.) They still got to do coleprotole, the idea of cole protocole was for the inner colonies and Earth.

2.) Never trust ONI

Conclusion: Halo first strike is a canon

/thread

> The first thing I’ve learned from reading the Halo novels is never trust anything ONI says.

I am inclined to agree. We have clearance enough to hear about a version of the truth, but to get the truth, we must PLAY IT. We must experience what happens and always remember that what we’re told isn’t always the truth, just what we experience is a form of the truth.

I don’t care what’s officially canon, I go by best to worst, and in my mind, the novels are the best Halo material, followed by the games (not including Halo Wars and Halo: Reach). All this extra garbage doesn’t enrich the Halo universe, it messes it up and makes the canon terribly difficult to follow. Why establish an amazing story, only to distort and render it false with horrible newer, “higher” canon? No, I’ve stopped caring about what’s canon and what’s not; that’s why I left Halopedia. I only care about what’s interesting and enjoyable… most of the newer Halo material after Halo 3 is uninteresting, canon-breaking rubbish anyway.

> 1.) They still got to do coleprotole, the idea of cole protocole was for the inner colonies and Earth.
>
> 2.) Never trust ONI
>
> Conclusion: Halo first strike is a canon
>
> /thread

cole protocal was mainly for earth, and if earth had been found their was no point in it anymore.

>implying there aren’t other colony worlds who would otherwise be affected by not enacting the Cole Protocol

>This is ONI we’re talking about.

> well with all the chaos over FoR figured i would look into first strike and found two major inconsistencys that prevent it from being canon anymore
>
> number one, operation first strike in the book happened september 13th, if that was true than in the mona lisa which takes place in october they wouldnt have needed to enact cole protocal since they all knew earth had been found already, but they did meaning earth hadnt been found by the covenant yet so that breaks canon with operation first strike. (new canon>old canon)
>
> and second thing is the engenieers they bring back, that couldnt have happened since in ODST dare said that ONI had never gotten close to one.
>
> so with that first strike is no longer halo canon

Cole Protocol wasn’t retired when the Covenant found Earth. At least not as far as we know. However, while OPERATION: First Strike happened on September 13, that’s not when Master Chief returned. That’s also not when the Covenant arrived at Earth. The Covenant arrived on October 20, presumably after or during the events of The Mona Lisa. This would mean that, as we’re dealing with ONI, the revelation that the Covenant knew where Earth is was probably kept a secret until Winter Contingency HAD to be declared on October 20. This means that to humanity at large, the Cole Protocol was probably still quite worth enacting, as they perhaps had no idea about the impending Covenant invasion.

I’ll return to write more later. I have to leave right now.

> operation first strike in the book happened september 13th,

I thought you would have found it more interesting that the events of Halo started on September 19 at 01:50, according to the date at the bottom left end credits of Reach.

Guys, if it’s not in one of the games, it’s subject to change. They try to make it as close as they can to the books, but sometimes things change.

There is something to remember about First Strike, almost all dates are time anomalies due to the crystal. Honestly right now I’ve got too much going on to dig through everything to find my books to engage in any real discussion. But unless something has changed that I’m not aware of, the crystal allows for a lot of flexibility in the timeline between The Flood and First Strike.

Also fans can’t decide what’s canon and what’s not, we can only give feedback and hope our words don’t fall on deaf ears.

> well with all the chaos over FoR figured i would look into first strike and found two major inconsistencys that prevent it from being canon anymore
>
> number one, operation first strike in the book happened september 13th, if that was true than in the mona lisa which takes place in october they wouldnt have needed to enact cole protocal since they all knew earth had been found already, but they did meaning earth hadnt been found by the covenant yet so that breaks canon with operation first strike. (new canon>old canon)
>
> and second thing is the engenieers they bring back, that couldnt have happened since in ODST dare said that ONI had never gotten close to one.
>

I find your poor attempts at making First Strike non-canon disturbing.

Cole Protocol - Article 1

“To safeguard and protect the Inner Colonies and Earth, all UNSC vessels or stations must not be captured with intact navigation databases that may lead Covenant forces to human civilian population centers.”

They still have plenty off other colonies the Cole Protocol is supposed to protect.

Dare is ONI Section 1. She is the lowest of the low when it comes to ONI. All of ONI’s Top Secret information such as the Spartan IIs and IIIs are above her level of expertise and are part of ONI Section 3.

The Engineer in ODST was also trying to defect and ONI was aware of this. Every engineer seen to date seemed to always be neutral, helping both sides. They knew something was really bad when one of the was actually picking sides and they needed to know what it knew.

Sergeant Johnson’s attitude towards it at the end of the game also points to the fact that he has had previous/prolonged contact with them before.

Your logic is flawed if not entirely lacking. Ghosts of Onyx is a sequel to First Strike. Halo: Glasslands is a sequel to Ghosts of Onyx. How/why would 343i want a sequel to a book which is the sequel to another book which is no longer canon? Simple. IT’S STILL CANON! That is all.

>

You sir speak the truth

1. There were other UNSC colony worlds still around while Earth was invaded.

2. This is ONI. For all we know, only the top people got intel on it.

Halo: First Strike is most certainly canon. The “discrepancy” here, for those who need clarification, is how Operation: FIRST STRIKE (and much of the novel of the same name), occurs prior to the conflict of Alpha Halo (Sep. 21-23, 2552), as the date given for FIRST STRIKE is September 13th?

Though the UNSC marks the date of this operation as September 13th, it is clear from the novel’s pages 298-300, that this isn’t a flawless account of timekeeping, simply the record retrieved from the UNSC Gettysburg when it arrived at Earth. On the aforementioned pages, even Halsey and Cortana are in disagreement about the cause of the time discrepancy between the events Red Team endured on Reach and the ones experienced by the Master Chief on Halo.

There’s definitely an argument on both sides of the table and at the center of it are some extremely bizarre slipspace anomalies as a result of an artifact they uncovered on Reach and the fact that they were using an advanced Covenant warship (Ascendant Justice) with previously unknown slipspace capability – these two factors make the date of September 13th somewhat suspect and open to speculation (as evidenced by Nylund’s frequent caveats within the chapter headings).

What we do know for a fact is that the survivors of Operation: FIRST STRIKE arrived back at Earth shortly before the events of October 20th, when the Covenant attack first began. Given that context, some folks out there might speculate that the anomalous record of the events in question (most of Halo: First Strike) could have easily occurred between September 23rd and October 20th, almost a full month’s worth of time. While I won’t smother the flames of debate in this thread, I personally find those “speculations” somewhat interesting. :slight_smile:

Sky Ace

Halo: First Strike is certainly canon. You can’t just go off and “officially” declare that Halo: First Strike is not canon. Bungie and 343i says it is canon therefore it is canon. You will have to accept that otherwise.

And those errors are actually minor, not big deal to Halo universe actually.

>
>
>

1. you don’t work at 343 so you can’t say what is and isn’t canon

2. just because YOU don’t understand it doesn’t mean it isn’t canon

3. the exact date for mona lisa is never givin (it says that on the first page…) the main idea for the story is the fact that ONI knew of the flood before chief got back. Frankie said the SoF hasn’t been touched yet, but there was an old bungie update around the time of IRIS that said ONI knew of the flood.

4. the covenant didn’t know where earth was, truth did

5.Um since when does Dare do anything at ONI? she is an ODST, yes she works WITH ONI, but last time i checked ONI doesn’t tell everybody everything.

You clearly know nothing about halo

> Halo: First Strike is most certainly canon. The “discrepancy” here, for those who need clarification, is how Operation: FIRST STRIKE (and much of the novel of the same name), occurs prior to the conflict of Alpha Halo (Sep. 21-23, 2552), as the date given for FIRST STRIKE is September 13th?
>
> Though the UNSC marks the date of this operation as September 13th, it is clear from the novel’s pages 298-300, that this isn’t a flawless account of timekeeping, simply the record retrieved from the UNSC Gettysburg when it arrived at Earth. On the aforementioned pages, even Halsey and Cortana are in disagreement about the cause of the time discrepancy between the events Red Team endured on Reach and the ones experienced by the Master Chief on Halo.
>
> There’s definitely an argument on both sides of the table and at the center of it are some extremely bizarre slipspace anomalies as a result of an artifact they uncovered on Reach and the fact that they were using an advanced Covenant warship (Ascendant Justice) with previously unknown slipspace capability – these two factors make the date of September 13th somewhat suspect and open to speculation (as evidenced by Nylund’s frequent caveats within the chapter headings).
>
> What we do know for a fact is that the survivors of Operation: FIRST STRIKE arrived back at Earth shortly before the events of October 20th, when the Covenant attack first began. Given that context, some folks out there might speculate that the anomalous record of the events in question (most of Halo: First Strike) could have easily occurred between September 23rd and October 20th, almost a full month’s worth of time. While I won’t smother the flames of debate in this thread, I personally find those “speculations” somewhat interesting. :slight_smile:

This guy has all the right answers to your questions. Any time difference can be attributed to the odd effects of the crystal as well as added energy from the slipspace fight.