Prometheans: Legions of the Composed

The Forerunners are returning in Halo 4. Their most elite Warrior-Servants, the Prometheans, guard Requiem - an ancient and mysterious Forerunner world. For several months the Halo Universe community has relentlessly attempted to understand why these Prometheans in the Reclaimer Saga are so drastically different than the Forerunners described in the Forerunner Saga. Theories have been proposed across the board covering everything from Prometheans as organic Forerunners to the Prometheans as autonomous constructs used by the Forerunners. The Promethean Knight’s design is so alien and so different than our current understanding of the Forerunners that it is very difficult to imagine any connection these mechanical warriors might have with the Forerunners. After several months of collecting quotes on the Promethean Knight, proposing theories, and viewing the new vidoc “Return of the Forerunners”, I believe our answer is at hand.

Below is a collection of quotes on the Promethean Knight:
Cortana (Halo 4 E3 Presentation):
“Whatever it is, it’s not organic.”

Kiki Wolfkill (Return of the Forerunners):
“We didn’t want the Prometheans to look like robots because they’re not robots.”

Kiki Wolfkill (Return of the Forerunners):
“We didn’t want them to look like monsters because they’re not monsters.”

Frank O’Connor (Post E3 Sparkast):
“Prometheans are a race of warrior knights within the forerunner society. The things that you think you know about that class in the books may evolve or change as you play the game. They are Forerunner Warrior-Servants…they are super powerful warriors… they were mostly outfitted and trained and ultimately in some ways designed genetically and mechanically to fight the Flood."

Promethean Knight character description:
Residents of the artificial world of Requiem, Promethean Knights represent the central occupying enemy force, legions of extremely capable combatants with both ancient and mysterious origins. While these Prometheans are significantly different from the legendary Forerunner Warrior-Servants of ages past, these Knights are no less harrowing. They are fully weaponized, heavily armored bipedal warriors, easily capable of engaging and terminating perceived threats in almost all environments. They are truly lethal creatures, taken lightly only at one’s peril.

Bs angel (9.12.12 Bulletin):
“If these are advanced beings, it seems like they would be intimately connected with the world they made, so the Prometheans can manipulate their environment and themselves in a way that makes them part of it. That is where you get to the final end result of Forerunners being able to spawn in and out of the world, spawn other creatures, phase back and forth, and environments moving around.”

Bs angel (9.12.12 Bulletin):
“There was a super-brief glimpse of Forerunners in Halo Legends, but we wanted to do something different from that so we took as much as we could from already established Forerunner language and put it on the Prometheans.”

Based on the quotes above, the Promethean Knights are not organic, not robots, not monsters, and not exactly the same as the legendary Forerunner Warrior-Servants of ages past.

Also based on the quotes above, the Promethean Knights are Forerunners, are super powerful Warrior-Servants, are outfitted and trained and designed genetically and mechanically to fight the Flood, are ancient and mysterious, are residents of Requiem, are able to spawn in and out of Requiem, are able to spawn other creatures, and are able to phase back and forth.

We know from the Forerunner Saga that the original Prometheans were organic Forerunners. The Promethean Knights are Forerunners but are not organic. The only possible explanation is that the Promethean Knights are composed Forerunners. One function of the Composer is the ability to transfer the mind or soul of an organic being into an artificial intelligence, which can then be inserted into a Forerunner construct. In Halo: Primordium, the Didact used the Composer to transfer Chakas’ mind from his damaged body into a stable condition where he could continue to serve the Didact and the Librarian. Chakas was composed into an artificial intelligence, and the monitor you know as 343 Guilty Spark is either a duplicate or fragment of Chakas. “Composing” is the only possible method that explains how the Promethean Knights are both Forerunners and non-organic beings, and infection explains why the Forerunners were composed.

Based on a recent concept art release, I have also come to the conclusion that the Promethean Knight at one point served as a combat skin. This concept art shows what the Promethean Knight would look like if it was still piloted by an organic Forerunner. These are the finished Promethean Knight variants.

As it turns out, the achievement for completing mission 7 of the Halo 4 campaign is titled “Composer”. The evidence is there, the mission is there…this must be our answer. The Promethean Knights are composed Forerunners. Humanity has invaded Requiem, a Forerunner shield world guarded by an army of the dead. The Didact sleeps and must never be woken.

Even if the plot doesn’t go on a Precursor route, it’ll still be quite interesting with all this Forerunner stuff.

Return of the Forerunners… its really happening.

And the idea of the Knights being a form of combat skin at one time is actually pretty cool. Now, with no physical bodies to use, the Knights became AI with the durance/spirit of their old inhabitants commanding them.
The Prometheans who wished to serve the Didact after death were composed and tasked with guarding Requiem…

> The Prometheans who wished to serve the Didact after death were composed and tasked with guarding Requiem…

I am convinced we even got a look at the Composer in the vidoc. Check out this screen capture I just took - draw your attention to that HUGE evil monitor-looking thing on the right.

Edit: No longer convinced that thing is the Composer. Taking tons of screen captures leads to craziness. Some type of Forerunner monstrosity for certain.

> > The Prometheans who wished to serve the Didact after death were composed and tasked with guarding Requiem…
>
> I am convinced we even got a look at the Composer in the vidoc. Check out this screen capture I just took - draw your attention to that HUGE evil monitor-looking thing on the right.

You think that might be the Composer, or some kind of composing station?

That could actually make sense. Its definetly Forerunner, and has the orange/red light of the Prometheans. This is what makes Prometheans.

Less than 2 Months away… and then we’ll know. But I have a feeling that we might be leaving with a few more questions than answers.

> > The Prometheans who wished to serve the Didact after death were composed and tasked with guarding Requiem…
>
> I am convinced we even got a look at the Composer in the vidoc. Check out this screen capture I just took - draw your attention to that HUGE evil monitor-looking thing on the right.

I personally think that the Composer is the device that the Halo 4 Xbox was made to look similar to. Plus, I’ve come to the conclusion that the desert level is the level “Reclaimer”. Not saying I’m right, but I tend to base my theories off of my conclusions.

If the Xbox really is the Composer, I think that we’ll find it here.

Thing in the pic could literally be almost anything.

> Thing in the pic could literally be almost anything.

I know - just speculating. It is more likely that it is a Promethean scarab-like enemy. Whatever it is, it does not look friendly. Those three arms have teeth.

Another great post, Fire. Well done.
All thngs Composer-related… I think that image could reveal much more than most initially expected. Albeit I don’t see that construct following the Didact down a hallway of wounded Ancient Humans – ready to be composed into geas – after the war of Charum Hakkor. Source: Primordium, Forthecho’s recall of the Didact’s victory at Charum Hakkor (can’t find the page number). Interesting find though.
And JSA – you said what the community has been thinking about for months now… The Forerunners are returning… it’s really happening.
(^Imagine writing that last line with “Revival” playing in the background. Yeah. Things just got real… really real.)

The picture does have more of the look of some type of Promethean monstrosity more than the Composer itself, I still feel the composer would be well hidden beneath Requiem’s surface if its even on Requiem. The only conclusions that we can draw is that it will be due to mission 7 being named Composer at the moment :/. Perhaps the massive machine in the picture is one of the Prometheans links to the bowels of Requiem, a means of traveling from one location to the next or creating new Prometheans if not a scarab-like enemy. All of this new information is juicy and makes you rethink alot of what you know about the Forerunners in general so far.

I was thinking something like Huragok artificial flesh and intelligence, only with a different job,

> Even if the plot doesn’t go on a Precursor route, it’ll still be quite interesting with all this Forerunner stuff.
>
>
> Return of the Forerunners… its really happening.
>
>
>
> And the idea of the Knights being a form of combat skin at one time is actually pretty cool. Now, with no physical bodies to use, the Knights became AI with the durance/spirit of their old inhabitants commanding them.
> The Prometheans who wished to serve the Didact after death were composed and tasked with guarding Requiem…

Since all forerunners have armor this would make sense. Even spark told cheief that he wpould have to upgrade his armor to acertain level armor Icant quite remember in the library to combat the flood. Maybe these knights armors are a form of those.

Off topic has anyone have proof that the thing flying around is the didacts cryptum? Im just curious because Im not wonderingi maybe the Didact may have been composed himself into a momitor and maybe thats it? Just a thought I had at work today.

That goes with what was said in Thursday war the forerunners werent dead just waiting to be awakened. Also promethean fury the pic with the thing flying around had cryptum written in the url of the pic so. I know its very contradictory to the book.

> Even if the plot doesn’t go on a Precursor route, it’ll still be quite interesting with all this Forerunner stuff.
>
>
> Return of the Forerunners… its really happening.
>
>
>
> And the idea of the Knights being a form of combat skin at one time is actually pretty cool. Now, with no physical bodies to use, the Knights became AI with the durance/spirit of their old inhabitants commanding them.

Since all forerunners have armor this would make sense. Even spark told cheief that he wpould have to upgrade his armor to acertain level armor Icant quite remember in the library to combat the flood. Maybe these knights armors are a form of those.

Off topic has anyone have proof that the thing flying around is the didacts cryptum? Im just curious because Im not wonderingi maybe the Didact may have been composed himself into a momitor and maybe thats it? Just a thought I had at work today.

> That goes with what was said in Thursday war the forerunners werent dead just waiting to be awakened. Also promethean fury the pic with the thing flying around had cryptum written in the url of the pic so. I know its very contradictory to the book.

Ahhh 343 said they would break canon which I think personally is a bad idea

this has been my theory for a wile now as well! every since the new threat has been released ive been thinking they are so forerunners, but yet lack the organic structure of one and my only thought was that they (the warrior ranks) had to desolve in to their armor, and it could act as a catalyst or shell for the dead then i remembered that the books mentioned it several times but i didn’t have enof info to go off of but i think your theory has enof hard prof we can go off of there are many signs that clearly stat they are not alive they are forerunner origin but are not forerunners and the moment i herd the voice from the trailer i could tell very clearly that it was the didact witch must mean that he is commanding the masses to fight you plus when the knights helm opens up you can clearly see that it has a bone like skull even if it does glow blue red or purple it shows signs that the being at one time had a organic body what im afraid of is the warrior servants where one of the lowest of the ranks in the forerunners system if they are bringing forerunners into the picture id hate to fight a builder class they are ranked the highest dont let the whole Architectural title fool you i bet they can bring some serous fight and are 10x scarier than the warriors D;

This has been my theory since E3. I think the glowing skull and the desolving effect made it quite obvious.

> > That goes with what was said in Thursday war the forerunners werent dead just waiting to be awakened. Also promethean fury the pic with the thing flying around had cryptum written in the url of the pic so. I know its very contradictory to the book.
>
> Ahhh 343 said they would break canon which I think personally is a bad idea

Well unfortuenely they have to not everyone reads the books try telling your friends who the composer or about the mantle or even the didact its not easy.

As I’m rereading Primordium I find and interestiong quote on page 242:

SCIENCE TEAM LEADER-
What the hell is this ‘Composer?’

STRATEGY TEAM LEADER-
Sounds like it was used as a remedy for victims of the Flood–or for converting biological beings into monitors. Or both.

(Here is where it gets interesting)

ONI COMMANDER-
ANOTHER infernal machine for making monsters!

Another? Hmmmm…

> As I’m rereading Primordium I find and interestiong quote on page 242:
>
> SCIENCE TEAM LEADER-
> What the hell is this ‘Composer?’
>
> STRATEGY TEAM LEADER-
> Sounds like it was used as a remedy for victims of the Flood–or for converting biological beings into monitors. Or both.
>
> (Here is where it gets interesting)
>
> ONI COMMANDER-
> ANOTHER infernal machine for making monsters!
>
> Another? Hmmmm…

Well primordium dose take place after halo 4 also just a thought is it possible that the didact in halo 4 maybe composed as well?

Quote from Primordium Chakas " Without the domain we will not know the motivations of the didact or any other forerunner"

Chakas Installation 07 a mass graveyard for millions where 10 graveminds had already been deactivated.

Requiem mass celebration of the dead and the ring behind in the main menu maybe installation 07 and maybe the master builder.

Chakas Chapter 37 It hurt us the primordial it did something to us all the while the didact began getting weaker maybe the primordial did some major damage to the didact.

Chapter 35
The didact shows pity for chakas

Didact “You have been through a great ordeal and you have been very roughly treated i am sorry for that”.

The composed Warrior-Servants isn’t so much a theory as it is a fact at this stage.