Projectile or hit-scan?

Would you guys want halo 3’s weapon system back, where almost every gun was projectile for halo 6? I know that one of the complaints was that the BR was useless at further ranges but considering that we have new xbox one hardware, 343 could easily make the bullets travel faster. So with that in mind would you like to see every weapon being projectile or would you still prefer hit-scan for halo 6?

Projectile for forerunner and covenant weapons (minus snipers), and human weapons hitscan (minus the obvious, such as the rockets)

Projectile baby.

The BR thing would be okay now because we have the DMR. There would be a bigger difference between the two than there is now.

> 2533274924106284;2:
> Projectile for forerunner and covenant weapons (minus snipers), and human weapons hitscan (minus the obvious, such as the rockets)

I would say the opposite, Forerunner weapons are light based. Bullets should be projectile.

That would depend on if the netcode actually worked or not.

> 2533274875412897;4:
> > 2533274924106284;2:
> > Projectile for forerunner and covenant weapons (minus snipers), and human weapons hitscan (minus the obvious, such as the rockets)
>
>
> I would say the opposite, Forerunner weapons are light based. Bullets should be projectile.

*Hardlight

Not the same thing.

For performance and latency related reasons, hitscan is the technically superior hit detection system.

Projectile hit detection checks for collisions every frame(actually some use ticks instead if I recall correctly), hitscan checks only when the weapon is fired; which is a lot less load on the engine considering how many projectiles can be airborne at any given time.

If true projectile-based weapon projectiles travel fast enough per frame, they can completely avoid hit detection and that’s without any sort of lag.

I wonder if the projectile weapons in Halo 5 are actually instances that are updated per frame or they use some sort of staggered raycasting technique…

I sincerely doubt that we will see another main Halo game with a projectile or even pseudo-projectile hit detection system for weapons like the BR or AR, it’s highly inconsistent when coupled with even minor latency.

> 2533274810001991;7:
> For performance and latency related reasons, hitscan is the technically superior hit detection system.
>
> Projectile hit detection checks for collisions every frame(actually some use ticks instead if I recall correctly), hitscan checks only when the weapon is fired; which is a lot less load on the engine considering how many projectiles can be airborne at any given time.
>
> If true projectile-based weapon projectiles travel fast enough per frame, they can completely avoid hit detection and that’s without any sort of lag.
>
> I wonder if the projectile weapons in Halo 5 are actually instances that are updated per frame or they use some sort of staggered raycasting technique…
>
> I sincerely doubt that we will see another main Halo game with a projectile or even pseudo-projectile hit detection system for weapons like the BR or AR, it’s highly inconsistent when coupled with even minor latency.

Not to mention that from a logical standpoint, most projectiles in Halo should be moving far too quickly for the unaugmented human eye to see.

> 2533274950478805;8:
> > 2533274810001991;7:
> > For performance and latency related reasons, hitscan is the technically superior hit detection system.
> >
> > Projectile hit detection checks for collisions every frame(actually some use ticks instead if I recall correctly), hitscan checks only when the weapon is fired; which is a lot less load on the engine considering how many projectiles can be airborne at any given time.
> >
> > If true projectile-based weapon projectiles travel fast enough per frame, they can completely avoid hit detection and that’s without any sort of lag.
> >
> > I wonder if the projectile weapons in Halo 5 are actually instances that are updated per frame or they use some sort of staggered raycasting technique…
> >
> > I sincerely doubt that we will see another main Halo game with a projectile or even pseudo-projectile hit detection system for weapons like the BR or AR, it’s highly inconsistent when coupled with even minor latency.
>
>
> Not to mention that from a logical standpoint, most projectiles in Halo should be moving far too quickly for the unaugmented human eye to see.

Can Kelly even see bullet profectiles?

What if she has an ai inserted in her boosting her neural network like cortana did to chief

in a perfect world with perfect netcode, projectile + single shot utility weapon > hitscan!
So much more fun

Hitscan is better for me lol

> 2533274809890894;9:
> > 2533274950478805;8:
> > > 2533274810001991;7:
> > > For performance and latency related reasons, hitscan is the technically superior hit detection system.
> > >
> > > Projectile hit detection checks for collisions every frame(actually some use ticks instead if I recall correctly), hitscan checks only when the weapon is fired; which is a lot less load on the engine considering how many projectiles can be airborne at any given time.
> > >
> > > If true projectile-based weapon projectiles travel fast enough per frame, they can completely avoid hit detection and that’s without any sort of lag.
> > >
> > > I wonder if the projectile weapons in Halo 5 are actually instances that are updated per frame or they use some sort of staggered raycasting technique…
> > >
> > > I sincerely doubt that we will see another main Halo game with a projectile or even pseudo-projectile hit detection system for weapons like the BR or AR, it’s highly inconsistent when coupled with even minor latency.
> >
> >
> > Not to mention that from a logical standpoint, most projectiles in Halo should be moving far too quickly for the unaugmented human eye to see.
>
>
> Can Kelly even see bullet profectiles?
>
> What if she has an ai inserted in her boosting her neural network like cortana did to chief

If she did, then she wouldn’t have asked Chief about his relationship with Cortana in Mission 2.

I just learned about hitscan and realize why I sucked so much at Halo 3 lol

I really like the idea of projectile based weapons like it was done in Halo 3 and Halo Reach, and I understand hitscan is the ideal method (for performance issues and etc) but projectile just makes it seem so much more realistic I want it lol.

Bringing projectiles back would definitely make it much much harder than Halo 5 is now.

I think its fine since Bullets like fast while plasma wouldn’t be since being plasma.

Not sure if this is a necro (seems like it) but to put things into perspective, there’s little to gain from projectile based hit detection on human weapons (AR, BR, DMR, etc.) as the difference in time it takes for a bullet to realistically travel average distances (effective weapon ranges in Halo) in most in-game combat scenarios would likely only differ by a fraction of a second.

Halo isn’t typically a game centred on excessive ranges so the realism / performance trade-off is completely unnecessary.

Also, I’m pretty sure that Reach used hitscan for human weapons. The reliability of human weapons was heavily tied to weapon bloom, which was controversial at the time to say the least.

Maybe this should be locked?

Is it just me or did projectiles feel 10 times better in Reach than in 3. My 2 best Halos are Reach and 2 and one of my worst is 3 and I honestly can’t tell you why.

Halo Ce and Halo 3 are the only games to use projectile on human weapons. Reach used hitscan.

And even in Halo Ce, with it’s faster bullet travel times relative to Halo 3, the travel delay was still noticeable on larger maps like Hang em High and Damnation.

Weapon killtimes only differ by fractions of a second between games yet people still manage to notice and moan about them. Depending on context a fraction of a second can actually be a long time.

Projectiles just make the game too inconsistent since not everyone has the same connection quality & speed.

> 2535440494822287;13:
> I just learned about hitscan and realize why I sucked so much at Halo 3 lol
>
> I really like the idea of projectile based weapons like it was done in Halo 3 and Halo Reach, and I understand hitscan is the ideal method (for performance issues and etc) but projectile just makes it seem so much more realistic I want it lol.
>
> Bringing projectiles back would definitely make it much much harder than Halo 5 is now.

#necropost.

But I prefer projectile since if requires more skill to use.