Project Didact! FULL DIDACT COSTUME COMPLETE!

I’m currently in the process of creating a full body Halo 4 Didact Costume. Still in the early stages of the costume build but the helmet sculpt and Hand sculpts are almost done. Just another day or two to smooth them out a bit and prep for molding.

If you want to see daily progress check out my facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evil-…05941566119243

I’m also doing (almost) daily live cam feed from the workshop if you want to tune in and watch me make a mess and cuss a lot. I Plan to live stream the entire costume build, start to finish over the next few months. (link to my Ustream channel and notifications on when I will be streaming can be found on my FB page linked above)

Here are the latest progress photos on the Didact costume sculpts.
Helmet Sculpt

Hand/Arm Sculpts

360 progress video of the helmet Sculpture.

Ok.
This is crispy.
I’m going to favourite this and watch the progress you make on this.

Quick question in regards to the costume making, what are you gonna make the actual costume out of?

The Techsuit layer will be mostly soft poly foam/latex and the armor layers will either be vac formed or cast in clear resin to allow for the insane amount of lighting that has to be installed.

Very cool. I love the design of the Didact’s helmet and I’m eager to see your process plus finished results. Great work so far by the way.

Helmet Sculpture Completed! I will begin molding it tomorrow.

Here is a short 360 video showing the finished Didact Helmet sculpture:
Halo 4 Didact Helmet Sculpture Completed

Got some decent photos taken of the finished Helmet sculpture (more photos can be found on my Facebook Page) Going to be starting on the molds for this today, and live streaming the process on my Ustream Channel.

Finished Didact Helmet Sculpture

Oooh! Awesome!

Helmet molds finished. First raw test pulls from the mold! (cast in SmoothCast 300) Time to trim, sand and do some lighting and paint tests.

2nd raw pull of the Halo 4 Didact Helmet

| Greetings OPHUMP!
I must say this project is quite intriguing,
and the professional grade work that has gone into it peaks my interest even more so.
So far the helmet and arms look astounding, and I can’t wait to see the rest of this project.
Keep up the great work my friend. |

/Tuo Silens Mors

/Semper Vigilans

Took 4 attempts before I got a pull with a uniform thickness throughout the casting. An even thickness was necessary to be able to cut and later install clear panels and lighting effects. Gotten about 80% of the lighted areas cut from the helmet so far using a hot knife, the rest will need a dremil with a very small detail bit to remove.

Interior View of the Helmet

80% lighting ports cut out

Lighted “Proof of Concept” photo. (final lighting will be yellow)

That’s pretty snazzy. If you don’t mind me asking, what are you using to make the casting for the costume? (i.e. any software or machinery)

That head… It’s too damn good!

> That’s pretty snazzy. If you don’t mind me asking, what are you using to make the casting for the costume? (i.e. any software or machinery)

Thanks, No machinery or computer assists what so ever. Doing it the old fashioned way, sculpting by hand, making molds by hand and casting the molds,… by hand. lol

I have seen this thread every time I come to these forums. I also liked your facebook page, and am watching your progress. Very nice job on the Didact’s helmet. Can’t wait to see the full armor set!

I assume you’ve heard of the 405th. Put your build on there too if you haven’t already.

Helmet/Costume progress update: Started to do some paint testing on the first Didact Helmet. Pretty happy with how it’s turning out so far. About 60% completed on the helmet at this point.
Halo 4 Didact Helmet Latest Progress Video - YouTube

I’m a newer member of the 405th and do have a thread there for this build but last I checked the noob forums are pretty bugged up atm. Waiting till it gets fixed before I do much update posting there.

04/09/13 Halo 4 Didact Helmet Progress. Mostly painted and LED lighting installed. 192 LED bulbs total in this helmet. LED battery pack was pretty drained by the time I got around to taking photos, so lighting is a little dim here. Had them running for about 5 hours while installing everything to test battery pack lifespan. Poured some test eye lenses in Yellow tinted clear resin, should be ready to install tomorrow. Detail painting and a heavy gloss coat before it’s finished.

Halo 4 Didact Helmet 040913 Progress 75%

> 04/09/13 Halo 4 Didact Helmet Progress. Mostly painted and LED lighting installed. 192 LED bulbs total in this helmet. LED battery pack was pretty drained by the time I got around to taking photos, so lighting is a little dim here. Had them running for about 5 hours while installing everything to test battery pack lifespan. Poured some test eye lenses in Yellow tinted clear resin, should be ready to install tomorrow. Detail painting and a heavy gloss coat before it’s finished.
>
> Halo 4 Didact Helmet 040913 Progress 75%

Mate this is crazy good quality, loving your work and thanks for posting the photos/videos. It’s been fun to see it develop and I know what I want for my birthday!

Current progress on the Halo 4 Didact costume.(hands) Raw pulls from the molds in Smooth-On’s FlexFoam-it III. Currently making resin castings from the same molds, forming the armor sections which will be mounted on the hands.(armor parts cast in SmoothCast 300) This video also demonstrates the benefits and use of collapsible core hand forms.
http://youtu.be/aDfoKmYpPyk

Been a while since I last updated,… already feeling the time crunch for DragonCon. Here’s what I’ve gotten done over the last few weeks.

Forearm armor parts:
Halo 4 Didact Forearm Armor

Boot Armor parts:
Halo 4 Didact Boots

Lots more photos and detailing on how the parts were sculpted, molded, cast and assembled on my Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evil-FX-Props-Armor/305941566119243