Progressive resolution system?

In the new blog post Holmes talks about the new progressive resolution system that would dynamically scale the resolution of game to maintain the game at 60fps. I know he said it can scale the game up to 1080p. Is there any word on how low the system will allow the resolution to go and whether if its dependent on cloud computing?

It’s probably related to cloud computing in some way, but I don’t have the specifics to tell you on how that works. The minimum res would probably range from about 900p and 30-45fps

Alright I just hope that the game won’t drastically drop in resolution due to a slowed connection or anything like that.

We have absolutely no info on how it works, whether it’s truly dynamic or changes during a cutscene transition in anticipation of a “heavy” situation, how far it can drop, etc.

The only thing I’m confident that it has nothing to do with is cloud computing. For one, it hasn’t been confirmed for singleplayer at this point. But more importantly, cloud computing handles AI and physics calculations (or so we have been led to believe) rather than rendering the environment.

Whatever it is, it’ll be better than seeing framerate lag, because trying to fend off 5 elites during massive framedrops is not fun.

> 2533274823349602;6:
> > 2533274819075101;2:
> > It’s probably related to cloud computing in some way, but I don’t have the specifics to tell you on how that works. The minimum res would probably range from about 900p and 30-45fps
>
>
> Where did you get that?
> I assumed that Halo 5 will always run at 60FPS. It also says dynamic resolution not dynamic frames.

And Josh seems to confirm that they’ve put dynamic resolution in to maintain 60fps throughout

> 2533274823349602;6:
> > 2533274819075101;2:
> > It’s probably related to cloud computing in some way, but I don’t have the specifics to tell you on how that works. The minimum res would probably range from about 900p and 30-45fps
>
>
> Where did you get that?
> I assumed that Halo 5 will always run at 60FPS. It also says dynamic resolution not dynamic frames.

you’re right, the dynamic res is to maintain 60fps

If The Witcher 3 is anything to go by then it will run between 900p and 1080p.

I doubt it will be lowered any more than 900p, maybe the mid 800p in extreme situations.

Most likely, the game will drop to 900p during the serious parts of the campaign (Imaginen Halo 3, The Covenant opening scene x10) but will always maintain 60 FPS.

This is a great system.
Prioritizing frame rate is absolutely the best move.
Anyone saying who they can really tell the difference between native 1080p and upscaled 900p is lying.
99% of gamers who have become obsessed with resolution this generation wouldn’t even know the resolutions of the games they are comparing are unless Digital Foundry did an analysis and told them.

> 2533274935834633;12:
> This is a great system.
> Prioritizing frame rate is absolutely the best move.
> Anyone saying who they can really tell the difference between native 1080p and upscaled 900p is lying.
> 99% of gamers who have become obsessed with resolution this generation wouldn’t even know the resolutions of the games they are comparing are unless Digital Foundry did an analysis and told them.

I wish I could click like on your post 1000 times.

Ok to clarify FPS is a constant 60 resolution is usually 1080 but in some of the more hectic sections it will drop (I doubt it will go bellow 900 and it definitely will not go below 720).

It changes depending on how much stuff and what is, happening on screen. So for example if the intro was actual game play then the game would lower the resolution so that it can maintain 60fps.