Progressive Mechanics ideas

My main concern (and I hope it is yours too) is the mechanics of the movement in Infinite.

We all know now that traditional halo mechanics are out and sprint, grapple hook is in. So, I’m prefacing post introduction that this thread only contains creative movement ideas in the goal of assisting the godfather of halo in development.

Movement ideas:

1. downward clambor - when you crouch slide over a drop-off, you clambor down to avoid shots from the enemy.
  2. multidirectional sprint - back peddling and slide to side sprint can be used to improve mechanics… Not just forward.

These are two that I’ve noted in gameplay so far. I hope you can assist me in this process bc with another year to go, I think graphics, however important, should be accompanied by inventive gameplay.

did you just say you want to sprint backwards?

> 2533274821339472;2:
> did you just say you want to sprint backwards?

Kind of…

For instance, if you are backing away from a gunfight and laying some shots, if you tap sprint you can accelerate your backward walk.

Maybe, for the sake of realism, not at a full sprint but enough to assist you in evading.

Tks for the reply. Now I’m almost flirting with the idea that you increase backwards movement by tapping sprint and then as you turn around, you increase speed into a full sprint…

It’s a work in progress.

> 2535411529096152;1:
> My main concern (and I hope it is yours too) is the mechanics of the movement in Infinite.
>
> We all know now that traditional halo mechanics are out and sprint, grapple hook is in. So, I’m prefacing post introduction that this thread only contains creative movement ideas in the goal of assisting the godfather of halo in development.
>
> Movement ideas:
>
> 1) downward clambor - when you crouch slide over a drop-off, you clambor down to avoid shots from the enemy.
> 2) multidirectional sprint - back peddling and slide to side sprint can be used to improve mechanics… Not just forward.
>
> These are two that I’ve noted in gameplay so far. I hope you can assist me in this process bc with another year to go, I think graphics, however important, should be accompanied by inventive gameplay.

the age old answer of increasing BMS is staring you down right now…adding more mechanics does not make a game better

> 2535458188883243;4:
> > 2535411529096152;1:
> > My main concern (and I hope it is yours too) is the mechanics of the movement in Infinite.
> >
> > We all know now that traditional halo mechanics are out and sprint, grapple hook is in. So, I’m prefacing post introduction that this thread only contains creative movement ideas in the goal of assisting the godfather of halo in development.
> >
> > Movement ideas:
> >
> > 1) downward clambor - when you crouch slide over a drop-off, you clambor down to avoid shots from the enemy.
> > 2) multidirectional sprint - back peddling and slide to side sprint can be used to improve mechanics… Not just forward.
> >
> > These are two that I’ve noted in gameplay so far. I hope you can assist me in this process bc with another year to go, I think graphics, however important, should be accompanied by inventive gameplay.
>
> the age old answer of increasing BMS is staring you down right now…adding more mechanics does not make a game better

:roll_eyes:

I like the idea of sliding down near a ledge to do a quicker drop. I get the idea of backpedaling faster while being able to return fire as well but at the same time it just brings up either stay and fight or turn and run. Makes me think that it would need some type of buffer like less accuracy or something for being able to retreat and shoot at the same time (maybe reduced accuracy). The idea of moving faster backwards kind of seems redundant though. Always enjoy ideas for improving mechanics though!

> 2535411529096152;3:
> > 2533274821339472;2:
> > did you just say you want to sprint backwards?
>
> Kind of…
>
> For instance, if you are backing away from a gunfight and laying some shots, if you tap sprint you can accelerate your backward walk.
>
> Maybe, for the sake of realism, not at a full sprint but enough to assist you in evading.
>
> Tks for the reply. Now I’m almost flirting with the idea that you increase backwards movement by tapping sprint and then as you turn around, you increase speed into a full sprint…
>
> It’s a work in progress.

i do like your clamber idea and that should be a thing.

so you want shooting while sprinting for the backwards sprint as well as shooting while in forward sprint?

> 2533274809988140;5:
> > 2535458188883243;4:
> > > 2535411529096152;1:
> > > My main concern (and I hope it is yours too) is the mechanics of the movement in Infinite.
> > >
> > > We all know now that traditional halo mechanics are out and sprint, grapple hook is in. So, I’m prefacing post introduction that this thread only contains creative movement ideas in the goal of assisting the godfather of halo in development.
> > >
> > > Movement ideas:
> > >
> > > 1) downward clambor - when you crouch slide over a drop-off, you clambor down to avoid shots from the enemy.
> > > 2) multidirectional sprint - back peddling and slide to side sprint can be used to improve mechanics… Not just forward.
> > >
> > > These are two that I’ve noted in gameplay so far. I hope you can assist me in this process bc with another year to go, I think graphics, however important, should be accompanied by inventive gameplay.
> >
> > the age old answer of increasing BMS is staring you down right now…adding more mechanics does not make a game better
>
> …:roll_eyes:
>
> I like the idea of sliding down near a ledge to do a quicker drop. I get the idea of backpedaling faster while being able to return fire as well but at the same time it just brings up either stay and fight or turn and run. Makes me think that it would need some type of buffer like less accuracy or something for being able to retreat and shoot at the same time (maybe reduced accuracy). The idea of moving faster backwards kind of seems redundant though. Always enjoy ideas for improving mechanics though!

as for the sprint backwards idea, im not a fan of being able to run away and shoot at the same time as it extends battle durations which leads to sweaty teamshooting(why i dont like thruster). i think of halo combat as a joust, once you commit to a battle, someone has to die quickly. picking battles in classic halo was vital as its hard to run away and change your mind.

however its possible it could be balanced since its possible to apply damage and stop enemies activating sprint when in battle. so now that i think of it like that, the idea is fine

Honestly I’d love to be able to go prone (lay down) and to slide.

> 2533274821339472;6:
> > 2535411529096152;3:
> > > 2533274821339472;2:
> > > did you just say you want to sprint backwards?
> >
> > Kind of…
> >
> > For instance, if you are backing away from a gunfight and laying some shots, if you tap sprint you can accelerate your backward walk.
> >
> > Maybe, for the sake of realism, not at a full sprint but enough to assist you in evading.
> >
> > Tks for the reply. Now I’m almost flirting with the idea that you increase backwards movement by tapping sprint and then as you turn around, you increase speed into a full sprint…
> >
> > It’s a work in progress.
>
> i do like your clamber idea and that should be a thing.
>
> so you want shooting while sprinting for the backwards sprint as well as shooting while in forward sprint?

I thought about that concept at an earlier time and it requires a mitigation to the shooting dynamics (like when you are coming out of a sprint and the cross hairs are not on the screen in h5). You can still shoot but it is more difficult. You need to maintain the pro of shooting while walking.

Off the top of my head, I’m thinking the cross hairs should maybe be just a dot and the auto aim should be reduced in some fashion in regards to gameplay. It is just a quick idea but if you turned off auto aim ai while sprint was enabled and identified it to the player with an adjusted reticle-it might add an element to gameplay.

not related to movement but would be cool if you could double tap the melee button quickly at someones back, assassinate them and hold their body as cover. You can still aim 360 degrees while holding the body but as soon as you walk, you drop the body.

> 2533274821339472;2:
> did you just say you want to sprint backwards?

That would be… disturbing…

> 2535458188883243;4:
> > 2535411529096152;1:
> > My main concern (and I hope it is yours too) is the mechanics of the movement in Infinite.
> >
> > We all know now that traditional halo mechanics are out and sprint, grapple hook is in. So, I’m prefacing post introduction that this thread only contains creative movement ideas in the goal of assisting the godfather of halo in development.
> >
> > Movement ideas:
> >
> > 1) downward clambor - when you crouch slide over a drop-off, you clambor down to avoid shots from the enemy.
> > 2) multidirectional sprint - back peddling and slide to side sprint can be used to improve mechanics… Not just forward.
> >
> > These are two that I’ve noted in gameplay so far. I hope you can assist me in this process bc with another year to go, I think graphics, however important, should be accompanied by inventive gameplay.
>
> the age old answer of increasing BMS is staring you down right now…adding more mechanics does not make a game better

True, we just finished playing an ability-abundant game in Halo 5. Many found it to be over-complicated.