Primordium - T.O. lying?

Spoilers

So in Pimordium I have read and been seeing alot of people saying that there was no cure to the flood and that the flood retreated, because the precursors were testing humanity.

It’s been a long time since I read first strike correct me if im wrong, but I remeber Sgt Johnson surving the flood because he could be infected but not transformed because of his Boren’s syndrome, which were suposedly from his spartan 1 augmentations. This means there is a cure.

But does that mean that the TO is lying about their not being a cure? or that what he is saying is true, and that this cure’s first occurence is from the spartan 1’s being made.

It seems to me that he is lying, and perhaps the spartan 4’s they are making are all going to have this immunity like sgt. johnson.

On another note, has any spartan 1-3 ever been transformed into the flood?

> Spoilers
>
>
>
> So in Pimordium I have read and been seeing alot of people saying that there was no cure to the flood and that the flood retreated, because the precursors were testing humanity.
>
> It’s been a long time since I read first strike correct me if im wrong, but I remeber Sgt Johnson surving the flood because he could be infected but not transformed because of his Boren’s syndrome, which were suposedly from his spartan 1 augmentations. This means there is a cure.
>
> But does that mean that the TO is lying about their not being a cure? or that what he is saying is true, and that this cure’s first occurence is from the spartan 1’s being made.
>
> It seems to me that he is lying, and perhaps the spartan 4’s they are making are all going to have this immunity like sgt. johnson.
>
> On another note, has any spartan 1-3 ever been transformed into the flood?

Chief almost got infected, Cortana saved him by sending an electrical current though the nasty bugger.

Would it maybe the only reason why flood didnt alll the time infect human back then was because forerunners were being tested by the precursors? Ill be honest, I read all the book and dont remember one human being “spared” from the flood after the Halo firing.

The big revelation (besides the fact that Precursors and the Flood are one in the same or one is a more evolved form of the other) is that the Flood can CHOOSE to infect. They pretended humanity had a cure. Obviously, humanity is going to be tested in the Reclaimer trilogy against both the Precursors/Flood and the Didact as enemies. It is now our turn to show we are worthy to take up the Mantle, if what the TO says is true.

> The big revelation (besides the fact that Precursors and the Flood are one in the same or one is a more evolved form of the other) is that the Flood can CHOOSE to infect. They pretended humanity had a cure. Obviously, humanity is going to be tested in the Reclaimer trilogy against both the Precursors/Flood and the Didact as enemies. It is now our turn to show we are worthy to take up the Mantle, if what the TO says is true.

That’s what i’m getting at, Did they actually choose to not infect them, or is the T.O. just lying about that. Maybe the flood did retreat, but because they weren’t able to infect the humans. It was only the TO who said the story, and sgt johnson being immune to it kinda points towards the TO lying about there not being a cure.

> > The big revelation (besides the fact that Precursors and the Flood are one in the same or one is a more evolved form of the other) is that the Flood can CHOOSE to infect. They pretended humanity had a cure. Obviously, humanity is going to be tested in the Reclaimer trilogy against both the Precursors/Flood and the Didact as enemies. It is now our turn to show we are worthy to take up the Mantle, if what the TO says is true.
>
> That’s what i’m getting at, Did they actually choose to not infect them, or is the T.O. just lying about that. Maybe the flood did retreat, but because they weren’t able to infect the humans. It was only the TO who said the story, and sgt johnson being immune to it kinda points towards the TO lying about there not being a cure.

You have to remember that the supposed cure involved a third of humanity sacrificing itself to the Flood to stop the infection. It wasn’t a cure in the usual sense.

Also, no Spartan has ever been infected by the Flood. After all, only 4 S-II’s have ever actually faced it before.

Primordial says that the Flood chose to not infect humans and Forethenco seems to agree with this on pg 367 when he says, “This is the answer. No immunity and no cure. There is only struggle and succumb… We have met our creators, they have given us the answers we sought - and that is our curse.” Here it sounds like he’s confirming that there was never a cure and that the Captive had told the humans so when it was captive in their prison.

Earlier in the story though something contradicts that. When Forethenco and Risers Spirit-girl talk he says that they learned of the cure from the Captive which she then contradicts and says that their own scientists found it. Exact dialogue:

Risers spirit: “the Primordial gave us information, and with it, we saved billions of human lives.”

Forthenco: “This is far from the whole truth. Humans themselves discovered what needed to be done to preserve ourselves and our descendants against the Shaping Sickness.”

A few exchanges later, Risers spirit: “Forerunners are dying - but we live on! And that is what the Primordial promised.”

Forethenco; “It said no such things to me.”
(pg. 227)

After reading that again I’m seeing the possibility that there was no cure, only selection. But if so, what was the test? And how can humanity now in 26th century defeat it if it can’t be defeated?

> > > The big revelation (besides the fact that Precursors and the Flood are one in the same or one is a more evolved form of the other) is that the Flood can CHOOSE to infect. They pretended humanity had a cure. Obviously, humanity is going to be tested in the Reclaimer trilogy against both the Precursors/Flood and the Didact as enemies. It is now our turn to show we are worthy to take up the Mantle, if what the TO says is true.
> >
> > That’s what i’m getting at, Did they actually choose to not infect them, or is the T.O. just lying about that. Maybe the flood did retreat, but because they weren’t able to infect the humans. It was only the TO who said the story, and sgt johnson being immune to it kinda points towards the TO lying about there not being a cure.
>
> You have to remember that the supposed cure involved a third of humanity sacrificing itself to the Flood to stop the infection. It wasn’t a cure in the usual sense.
>
> Also, no Spartan has ever been infected by the Flood. After all, only 4 S-II’s have ever actually faced it before.

Going along with my recent post: Was the “test” that the humans past the willingness to sacrifice the third?

> Spoilers
>
>
>
> So in Pimordium I have read and been seeing alot of people saying that there was no cure to the flood and that the flood retreated, because the precursors were testing humanity.
>
> It’s been a long time since I read first strike correct me if im wrong, but I remeber Sgt Johnson surving the flood because he could be infected but not transformed because of his Boren’s syndrome, which were suposedly from his spartan 1 augmentations. This means there is a cure.
>
> But does that mean that the TO is lying about their not being a cure? or that what he is saying is true, and that this cure’s first occurence is from the spartan 1’s being made.
>
> It seems to me that he is lying, and perhaps the spartan 4’s they are making are all going to have this immunity like sgt. johnson.
>
> On another note, has any spartan 1-3 ever been transformed into the flood?

This is what I was thinking as well. Wouldn’t the captive tell this lie so everyone would just submit themself to become infected? Saying this, would have people stop trying to find the cure and just go to their death.
If the captive’s plan was for every living thing to be apart of the flood… then why would he stop trying to infect the humans if they are supposed to be apart of this plan?
There’s a cure. T.O just doesn’t want people to believe in such a cure. Johnson is the proof to support this.

Burmetheus :

From what I got was that Lord of Admirals didnt know that the Primordial was talking with Ydrin. It was Human that probably came with everything but under the guide of the Primordial. Maybe Forthenco just didnt know about the work they had together.

Maybe we are dealing with another kind of flood. This flood was spread with powder and the one we knew in the game was different. Maybe there was selection before, but i doubt there is now.

> Burmetheus :
>
> From what I got was that Lord of Admirals didnt know that the Primordial was talking with Ydrin. It was Human that probably came with everything but under the guide of the Primordial. Maybe Forthenco just didnt know about the work they had together.
>
> Maybe we are dealing with another kind of flood. This flood was spread with powder and the one we knew in the game was different. Maybe there was selection before, but i doubt there is now.

It’s just some of the wording in there that gets me:

“the Primordial gave us information, and with it, we saved billions of human lives.”
It’s not something like, “we cured the Flood”, or "we defeated the Flood, just “we saved lives.”

“Humans themselves discovered what needed to be done to preserve ourselves and our descendants against the Shaping Sickness.”
Again It’s just preserving themselves not beating the flood.

TO could definitely be lying, but I get the feeling He is not.