Pretty Graphics vs. High FPS Performance

One of my biggest complaints about Reach so far has been the framerate. Basically, Bungie pushed the engine to the absolute limit, and in certain graphically intense situations, the framerate dips significantly. While I want to be able to enjoy seeing the detail that goes into the campaign, I also need to have the FPS to be able to aim.

This is also very noticeable in forge world, as most maps need to be very conscious of lag and can rarely push the boundaries of what’s possible. It’s extremely limiting and makes it very difficult to make maps that both play well, and look great.

My solution to this is to offer players the choice. It’s been an option in PC games forever. The idea is that you can go into your options and choose between High Detail Mode, where every little texture is rendered as exactly as possible, sometimes at the cost of framerate, or Performance Mode, where the textures are lower in resolution, but the framerate stays at a constant high FPS. Ideally I’d want 60fps, however it has to stay constant, so a steady 40-50 fps is better than 60 but sometimes drops to 30. Seeing as how all xbox users have the same hardware, this option would be fairly easy to implement (relative to on a PC where they have full sliders) as every xbox should perform the same.

Thoughts?

hmm?

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought every Halo ever moved at 30 fps, it’s kinda the ‘feel’ of Halo, if you want something faster go play Half-life, or something like that.

I prefer solid games over graphics.

I’m fine with the game staying at 30fps, but the framerate drops in Reach are absolutely unacceptable.

Framerate problems utterly cripple 4 player splitscreen, and the sad part is that the increase in graphical fidelity is basically pointless in splitscreen anyway due to the smaller amount of space.

Halo 3 ran smooth as butter in almost all modes and situations, and many of its maps look much better than Reach’s. That’s your benchmark, not Reach’s terrible blur effects and impostering system that makes map look horrible alongside having a terrible framerate.

Graphics aren’t just about level of detail, they are about style, functionality, and performance. Don’t forget that 343.

Yeah Halo: Reaches motion blur is badly implemented, it just doesn’t look right and it hurts my eyes after a while, Gears of war 3’s unreal engine’s motion blur is the way to do it.

Halo: Reach’s motion blur doesn’t hide the inconsistent framerate it just makes things slightly blurry, its weird.

The Reach engine has terrible performance and needs to be dropped if 343 are serious about rebooting the franchise.

If H4 uses an tweaked Reach engine it’s already got one foot in the grave.

Dunno…

I think it’d be kind of sweet to see a Halo game running at 60FPS

Still… a rocksteady 30FPS would be fine by me as long as I see the DEATH OF BLOOM.

I would also like to see a Vidoc on the slow, agonising death of bloom too.

Finally, I reckon a ‘I Watched Bloom Die Slowly and Loved It’ T-Shirt should be included in the Legendary edition.

I digress… solid gameplay is the key.

> Dunno…
>
> I think it’d be kind of sweet to see a Halo game running at 60FPS
>
> Still… a rocksteady 30FPS would be fine by me as long as I see the DEATH OF BLOOM.
>
> I would also like to see a Vidoc on the slow, agonising death of bloom too.
>
> Finally, I reckon a ‘I Watched Bloom Die Slowly and Loved It’ T-Shirt should be included in the Legendary edition.
>
> I digress… solid gameplay is the key.

Lol I would buy that shirt

Forge maps drop below 30 fps way too much. It shouldn’t happen.