Power Structure of the Hierarchs

I am both curious and interested in learning how the power is separated and worked between the three Hierarchs. Would it be comparable to Roman Empire , where they would rule over separate domains and have tension between them and serious political possibly even military infighting? Or is it more defined and separation powers comparable to branches of U.S.government where they have separate aspects of the empire to oversee. Based on the limited viewing in the games it just seemed like Prophet of Truth calling the shots and it felt like that in Contact Harvest.

-The way it seems in the games is Truth is an Augustus (senior emperor) and Mercy and Regret are both Caesars (junior emperors).

I am just wondering your opinion on the Hierachs power structure and would you like to see it formalized in future media?

Yeah, you’re pretty spot on. They’re all technically the same ranking and have the same powers, but Truth is the one really in control. But you mentioned that each may have a specific jurisdiction or area they rule in, as far as I can tell that isn’t the case and they share control of every part of the Covenant’s government without any one of them officially bound to any particular domain.

> 2535456575907503;2:
> Yeah, you’re pretty spot on. They’re all technically the same ranking and have the same powers, but Truth is the one really in control. But you mentioned that each may have a specific jurisdiction or area they rule in, as far as I can tell that isn’t the case and they share control of every part of the Covenant’s government without any one of them officially bound to any particular domain.

I don’t see it as practical that they would not have specific oversight on various committees, bureaucracies , general tasks because the Covenant is so overwhelmingly large that it would be almost impossible to function without dividing it up. Actually this just makes me wish for a more formalized assessment of the entire Covenant Empire in the future.

In Halo 2 it seems the Prophet of Regret moves with completely his own jurisdiction , first to Earth without telling anyone in High Charity (I think) and then to Delta Halo. There doesn’t seem to be formal punishing beyond Truth’s harsh words , but informally it seemed like Truth was prepared to kill him anyway and the Masterchief just did it for him.

I also don’t really understand the councils purpose in general?

> 2535465364486894;3:
> > 2535456575907503;2:
> > Yeah, you’re pretty spot on. They’re all technically the same ranking and have the same powers, but Truth is the one really in control. But you mentioned that each may have a specific jurisdiction or area they rule in, as far as I can tell that isn’t the case and they share control of every part of the Covenant’s government without any one of them officially bound to any particular domain.
>
> I don’t see it as practical that they would not have specific oversight on various committees, bureaucracies , general tasks because the Covenant is so overwhelmingly large that it would be almost impossible to function without dividing it up. Actually this just makes me wish for a more formalized assessment of the entire Covenant Empire in the future.
>
> In Halo 2 it seems the Prophet of Regret moves with completely his own jurisdiction , first to Earth without telling anyone in High Charity (I think) and then to Delta Halo. There doesn’t seem to be formal punishing beyond Truth’s harsh words , but informally it seemed like Truth was prepared to kill him anyway and the Masterchief just did it for him.
>
> I also don’t really understand the councils purpose in general?

It’s totally possible that each one does have a specific set of responsibilities and have particular tasks they oversee, but like you said we never really had much insight into how the Covenant works politically, so we can’t know for sure, unfortunately. As for Regret, they still operate independently of one another and like you said, Regret never told any important members of the Covenant that he was going to Earth. And Truth did indirectly kill him by withholding reinforcements which allowed Chief to kill Regret.

And for the Council, while the Prophets did have the final say on all matters, they still took the concerns of the other Covenant species into consideration, if only out of fear of retaliation. Any important decisions, like confirming a replacement Hierarch in the event that one dies or significant military action, that weren’t approved by the Council would be against council protocol. Aside from that it was divided into subsections in charge of keeping the Covenant running, since it wasn’t an entirely militaristic empire there were civil matters that needed to be attended to. Basically the Prophets can’t do everything themselves and if they didn’t give the other species the illusion that their opinion mattered, the Covenant would fall apart