Post-Halo 6

I hope that with the end of the Reclaimer Saga, the Covenant species from the Halo Universe will be independent of one another. Now, the Covenant Empire sort of exists, but I expect it (and hope for it) to completely dissemble. It would open up so many new opportunities.

I imagine a post-“Second” Human-Covenant War society to be very different. I want a universe where there’s not just two political alliances: the UNSC and Covenant (the Flood and Forerunners don’t count as political entities). I want one with multiple factions, each overlapping with their beliefs and demography. I can see every species being a part of this intergalactic community, besides the Lekgolo of course :’( (but they can still be present). They’re all sentient beings, capable of carrying on with society by themselves (whether it be through trade, war, political relations, government, etc.). I feel such a change would bring with it great story telling.

I’m not exactly sure where they we go with this (let alone, where I am going with this), but it would be interesting to see the relations between the species without a leader unifying them all (Truth, the Arbiter, Jul 'Mdama). In other words, a Halo without the Covenant baddies gasp.

For all of these reasons, I believe a Halo RPG (you read correctly) taking place in 2630+ would be an awesome addition the series. If everything goes as planned (the Covenant completely collapses, relative intergalatic peace, etc.), each species would be forced to rebuild itself. Imagine that you’re on the way to travelling to a post-Covenant world on your star-ship (in search of a Grunt terrorist) when a group of Jackals raid and board your ship! Or maybe, you are helping out the Brutes by preventing their society from collapsing yet again. The possibilities are endless.

In short, I would love to see some sort of Halo media set far into the future (but not too far), around fifty to one hundred fifty years after the Chief. What do you think?

I would like to see that but I strongly doubt that it will ever happen. The Halo story seems to be going in the opposite direction. You see Halo 3 was our best chance to meaningfully evolve the setting, but all we got was something that shamelessly panders to our human centric ego and goes back to the status quo in every other way. If Halo 3 couldn’t “break the spell”, then I don’t think anything will. No one is interested in the Covenant, and that includes 343i, other than for them being 2 dimensional hateful villains. They will always be Halo’s go-to enemy I fear.

+1!

You happen to be thinking F A R into the future, but planning ahead is good…

By Halo 6, I would expect things to be a bit more… Precursor.

Humanity is being tested, the Flood unleashed into the Galaxy once more, and all races in existence will be united to fight the Flood together…

Unity, pain, and suffering… No one likes to live with other species, no one likes to side with former enemies… But the Precursors promised the unification of all life one way or another, and I think we all would like the option that does not involve the Flood.

The Milky Way must stand together, or it will die alone…

> You happen to be thinking F A R into the future, but planning ahead is good…
>
> By Halo 6, I would expect things to be a bit more… Precursor.
>
> Humanity is being tested, the Flood unleashed into the Galaxy once more, and all races in existence will be united to fight the Flood together…
>
> Unity, pain, and suffering… No one likes to live with other species, no one likes to side with former enemies… But the Precursors promised the unification of all life one way or another, and I think we all would like the option that does not involve the Flood.
>
> The Milky Way must stand together, or it will die alone…

While that would make sense, humans don’t stay united for long (and I assume that the Covenant species are somewhat similar to us), especially when we’re talking about 50-150 years.

I think it would be too unrealistic to show them all going their separate ways. Of course there would be those who want to rebuild their own people and don’t care about the others, but the unrealistic part would be them all sharing this same mentality. We’re going to get Grunts who side with Elites because that’s what they choose and we’re going to get Grunts who side with Brutes because that’s what they choose. This leaves us with multiple factions with different goals but we’re not going to see every species return to their respective worlds and just rebuild on their own.

> I think it would be too unrealistic to show them all going their separate ways. Of course there would be those who want to rebuild their own people and don’t care about the others, but the unrealistic part would be them all sharing this same mentality. We’re going to get Grunts who side with Elites because that’s what they choose and we’re going to get Grunts who side with Brutes because that’s what they choose. This leaves us with multiple factions with different goals but we’re not going to see every species return to their respective worlds and just rebuild on their own.

I didn’t mean that each species would “go back to itself”, I’m sorry if it came out that way. New heterogeneous societies would be formed, all with their own unique ideas and beliefs.

I imagine the complete collapse of the Covenant Empire to be similar to our world’s collapse of the Ottoman Empire (or even Soviet Union). Maybe the Elites and/or Brutes won’t have the resources (let alone patience) to take care of the Grunts? Besides, they were forced into the alliance in the first place–I wouldn’t be surprised if they were the first to leave.

I think it would make more sense if the species gradually separated themselves. Their only uniting factor was the Prophet’s promise of the Great Journey which was revealed to be a hoax (yet some still believe in it…).

The lower class Covenant species were (and most likely still are) controlled through fear and threat of annihilation and every species (even the almighty Elites) was manipulated by the Prophets. Not only is there discrimination, some of them simply don’t get along:

  • None of them respect the Grunts.
  • The Jackals especially hate them. Oh, and they’re there only for monetary rewards.
  • The Elites despise the Brutes; the Brutes despise the Elites.
  • There is a caste system!

I’m actually surprised that order is maintained. When you control your people through fear and threat of annihilation, there’s bound to be eventual separation and “revolution”.

It’s silly that these species keep grouping themselves together. I wish we had a better explanation on this, but we don’t. After the Reclaimer Saga, I want a Halo Universe where there aren’t two distinctions: Covenant or UNSC. Each species should have their own opportunity to seize power (and as far as we know, life is very nationalistic). This is also a perfect set-up for a Halo RPG :slight_smile:

All I know is 5/6 are going to be EPIC! Possibly fighting flood, covies AND promethans? And the story to unfold? Wowwwwwww.

So excited.

> We’re going to get Grunts who side with Elites because that’s what they choose and we’re going to get Grunts who side with Brutes because that’s what they choose.

I’ve always thought it was more likely that the Grunts simply went with who was commanding them at the time of the Schism.

> > We’re going to get Grunts who side with Elites because that’s what they choose and we’re going to get Grunts who side with Brutes because that’s what they choose.
>
> I’ve always thought it was more likely that the Grunts simply went with who was commanding them at the time of the Schism.

I would say a lot of them were motivated by religious beliefs. Grunt dialog throughout Halo 3 implies they were pretty devout as they constantly cried out “Death to the heretics”. We can’t forget that the Covenant was formed based on a religious belief and it’s hard to turn your back on those beliefs after believing in them for so long.

> > > We’re going to get Grunts who side with Elites because that’s what they choose and we’re going to get Grunts who side with Brutes because that’s what they choose.
> >
> > I’ve always thought it was more likely that the Grunts simply went with who was commanding them at the time of the Schism.
>
> I would say a lot of them were motivated by religious beliefs. Grunt dialog throughout Halo 3 implies they were pretty devout as they constantly cried out “Death to the heretics”. We can’t forget that the Covenant was formed based on a religious belief and it’s hard to turn your back on those beliefs after believing in them for so long.

Mind control at its finest.

> > > > We’re going to get Grunts who side with Elites because that’s what they choose and we’re going to get Grunts who side with Brutes because that’s what they choose.
> > >
> > > I’ve always thought it was more likely that the Grunts simply went with who was commanding them at the time of the Schism.
> >
> > I would say a lot of them were motivated by religious beliefs. Grunt dialog throughout Halo 3 implies they were pretty devout as they constantly cried out “Death to the heretics”. We can’t forget that the Covenant was formed based on a religious belief and it’s hard to turn your back on those beliefs after believing in them for so long.
>
> Mind control at its finest.

Exactly. That’s why it’s not really that silly to see these people continuing to form groups because they are forming up with people who share the same ideals. And right now it’s not as simple as Covenant Vs UNSC because the Covenant as a whole is far from united. We have the Arbiter’s faction, Avu Med 'Telcam’s faction, Jul 'Mdama’s faction, Brutes are doing their own thing and so on. That’s one of the reasons why I support calling Jul 'Mdama’s faction “The Storm” because it helps differentiate them from the rest of the Covenant factions. Personally, I think it should be something like this…

Arbiter: Covenant Reformists
'Telcam: Abiding Truth
'Mdama: The Storm
Brutes: Covenant Loyalists

> > > > > We’re going to get Grunts who side with Elites because that’s what they choose and we’re going to get Grunts who side with Brutes because that’s what they choose.
> > > >
> > > > I’ve always thought it was more likely that the Grunts simply went with who was commanding them at the time of the Schism.
> > >
> > > I would say a lot of them were motivated by religious beliefs. Grunt dialog throughout Halo 3 implies they were pretty devout as they constantly cried out “Death to the heretics”. We can’t forget that the Covenant was formed based on a religious belief and it’s hard to turn your back on those beliefs after believing in them for so long.
> >
> > Mind control at its finest.
>
> Exactly. That’s why it’s not really that silly to see these people continuing to form groups because they are forming up with people who share the same ideals. And right now it’s not as simple as Covenant Vs UNSC because the Covenant as a whole is far from united. We have the Arbiter’s faction, Avu Med 'Telcam’s faction, Jul 'Mdama’s faction, Brutes are doing their own thing and so on. That’s one of the reasons why I support calling Jul 'Mdama’s faction “The Storm” because it helps differentiate them from the rest of the Covenant factions. Personally, I think it should be something like this…
>
> Arbiter: Covenant Reformists
> 'Telcam: Abiding Truth
> 'Mdama: The Storm
> Brutes: Covenant Loyalists

I am talking about an entire century into the future. This is merely what I want for the Halo universe, not what will happen. I want more individuality for each species, with their own time in the spotlight. It would open up a whole new gateway of possibilities. But remember, such a situation would be long after Master Chief’s death and the Human-Covenant War (and this new Second Human-Covenant War).

After reading about Venezia in Thursday War (or was it Glasslands?) and how humans and different Covenant species were living in the same colony, I started wondering whether or not the multiple species of the Halo universe would ever peacefully coexist.

Considering how Hoya mentioned that Earth was accepting Covenant refugees, I think there may be hope yet for your idea.

The next Halo Trilogy will involve a marine finally returning to civilian life and trying to find a job. He finds that his daughter who he hasn’t seen in many years (been off fighting didact and -Yoink-) is dating an elite and they become further estranged when the marine threatens him and calls him a hinge-head. The manufacturing plant he manages to get a job at lays off all of the floor workers, hiring a few engineers in their place, he has to attend anger management sessions after nearly beating a grunt to death in the grocery store. Suffering from complications incurred during his service to the UNSC during both wars, the marine finds the VA backlogged trying to help him and is forced out onto the streets after launching into a drunken rant at the Elite from before and his daughter, who were now getting married, before trying to kill said Elite with a wine glass.

Cast out and despondent on the streets, he is approached by a former ODST trooper who offers him a place to stay and he eventually is roped into joining a humans first insurrectionist group, but one the first battle Spartan IV’s come through and easily kill everyone

I see the Halos being fired again, so in terms of life after H6, there in none.

> I see the Halos being fired again, so in terms of life after H6, there in none.

Exactly, I can see that see that and Chief could ask a monitor form of Cortana (if she returns, hopefully not) “Now, old friend, we have the most important job in history–perhaps in all time. You may very well outlast all of us here. You may see the new galaxy emerge. Tell me, Cortana, if this was your choice, after all we have seen and survived… would you fire the rings?”

> > I see the Halos being fired again, so in terms of life after H6, there in none.
>
> Exactly, I can see that see that and Chief could ask a monitor form of Cortana (if she returns, hopefully not) “Now, old friend, we have the most important job in history–perhaps in all time. You may very well outlast all of us here. You may see the new galaxy emerge. Tell me, Cortana, if this was your choice, after all we have seen and survived… would you fire the rings?”

I hope not, that seems far too verbose for Chief. If something like that happened, he’d just simply ask her, “Would you do it?” and that would be it.

On topic, there is already plenty of different factions resulting from the collapse of the Covenant. We have 'Mdama’s faction (the Storm, if you want to call it that) 'Telcam’s faction, the Arbiter’s faction, the Brutes, and who knows what other ones (Jackals going back to their pre-Covenant pirating ways, Hunters doing… something, etc.) I’d love for all of them to be expanded on in Halo 5.

I kinda got this feeling that the flood will return with forces comparable with the forerunner/flood war. It would force the covenant, humans and perhaps the forerunners to join forces to fight the flood, emerging victorius, and make the New Covenant, with a council with reprecentatives from every species. Thinking soemthing among the lines of Mass Effect. This would for me be a good ending. The mistake htat was done in the last big flood war was fighting with each other instead of banding together. Of course there would still be minor conflicts, but it would be overal peace.

It’s almost impossible to say what they have in store for the rest of the trilogy.