Possible timeline inconsistency

In Hunters in the Dark we are told that Elias Holt became a spartan “very shortly” (!! Keep this in mind) after the war and that he “proved to be a very competent soldier” during the war. We are also told that he is young and green compared to other S-IVs and never even fought a Sangheili during the war.

In New Blood we learn that in 2554 when Jun asked Buck to become a S-IV for the first time, Mickey and Romeo weren’t qualified enough to become a Spartan. Only later when the requirements were less strict did they qualify.

How the heck was Elias Holt, a green soldier who never even saw a Sangheili during the war, more qualified than Romeo or Mickey? Or is this a bit of a timeline inconsistency?

Do we have a date for the class 2 of S-IV’s? It could still be ‘very shortly’

> 2533274964189700;2:
> Do we have a date for the class 2 of S-IV’s? It could still be ‘very shortly’

Seeing as alpha-nine had time to go on several missions after the war, then break up after Dutch retired and rookie died, then buck vacationed with Dare and turned down Jun, and then later has another vacation during which Mickey and Romeo finally qualified for the 2nd class of S-IVs. To me that doesn’t sound like “shortly after”. My guess is late 2554

I’m willing to bet that Romeo’s behavioral problems and Mickey’s potential mental stress after the Rookie’s death may have been problematic for their induction into the S-IVs. However, Holt’s inclusion still squares okay because candidates for the S-IV program were either experienced vets or young individuals who showed potential. He is certainly a step up from Spartan Madsen who got into the program because of nepotism.

> 2533274812652989;4:
> I’m willing to bet that Romeo’s behavioral problems and Mickey’s potential mental stress after the Rookie’s death may have been problematic for their induction into the S-IVs. However, Holt’s inclusion still squares okay because candidates for the S-IV program were either experienced vets or young individuals who showed potential. He is certainly a step up from Spartan Madsen who got into the program because of nepotism.

Madsen’s backstory always makes me laugh haha. Thanks for reminding me that some of the early candidates weren’t exactly battle hardened and just showed alot of promise. That clears this up as far as I’m concerned

> 2533274812652989;4:
> I’m willing to bet that Romeo’s behavioral problems and Mickey’s potential mental stress after the Rookie’s death may have been problematic for their induction into the S-IVs. However, Holt’s inclusion still squares okay because candidates for the S-IV program were either experienced vets or young individuals who showed potential. He is certainly a step up from Spartan Madsen who got into the program because of nepotism.

You’re great. I agree with every post you make I think

Note it was 2553 that Jun asked Buck to become a Spartan VI before he refused.

Buck and the remains of Alpha-9 become Spartan-VIs in 2554.

So not really a timeline issue there.

> 2533274836874363;7:
> Note it was 2553 that Jun asked Buck to become a Spartan VI before he refused.
>
> Buck and the remains of Alpha-9 become Spartan-VIs in 2554.
>
> So not really a timeline issue there.

I wasn’t referring to when Buck could have gotten into the S-IV program, but when mickey and Romeo could. I thought it didn’t make sense that Holt would get in before Romeo and Mickey but Halsey cleared that up for me

> 2533274836874363;7:
> Note it was 2553 that Jun asked Buck to become a Spartan VI before he refused.
>
> Buck and the remains of Alpha-9 become Spartan-VIs in 2554.
>
> So not really a timeline issue there.

Wait, we’re making Spartan 6’s now?

> 2535411711152989;9:
> > 2533274836874363;7:
> > Note it was 2553 that Jun asked Buck to become a Spartan VI before he refused.
> >
> > Buck and the remains of Alpha-9 become Spartan-VIs in 2554.
> >
> > So not really a timeline issue there.
>
>
> Wait, we’re making Spartan 6’s now?

No, man - just multiple classes of Spartan IV’s. If we follow your logic, the Spartan IV’s are actually Spartan VIIs due to the number of Spartan III companies - all of which had mild alterations.

> 2533274927592272;10:
> > 2535411711152989;9:
> > > 2533274836874363;7:
> > > Note it was 2553 that Jun asked Buck to become a Spartan VI before he refused.
> > >
> > > Buck and the remains of Alpha-9 become Spartan-VIs in 2554.
> > >
> > > So not really a timeline issue there.
> >
> >
> > Wait, we’re making Spartan 6’s now?
>
>
> No, man - just multiple classes of Spartan IV’s. If we follow your logic, the Spartan IV’s are actually Spartan VIIs due to the number of Spartan III companies - all of which had mild alterations.

I think he just made an error with VI that meant to be IV, a typo.

> 2533274812652989;11:
> > 2533274927592272;10:
> > > 2535411711152989;9:
> > > > 2533274836874363;7:
> > > > Note it was 2553 that Jun asked Buck to become a Spartan VI before he refused.
> > > >
> > > > Buck and the remains of Alpha-9 become Spartan-VIs in 2554.
> > > >
> > > > So not really a timeline issue there.
> > >
> > >
> > > Wait, we’re making Spartan 6’s now?
> >
> >
> > No, man - just multiple classes of Spartan IV’s. If we follow your logic, the Spartan IV’s are actually Spartan VIIs due to the number of Spartan III companies - all of which had mild alterations.
>
>
> I think he just made an error with VI that meant to be IV, a typo.

Yea just a typo. ^^’ Sorry that kinda slipped past me.