pOSSIBLE New GRENADE iDEAS?

ITT Try and guess the new greande(s) that will be in this game and share some grenade ideas to hopefully inspire 343i, then when the game is released we will come back to this thread and be like aww yea. Here’s some I thought of while 5’n some noobs:

EMP Grenade - Think of the grenade launcher in Halo reach at this moment. This grenade should be identical to that grenade in a lot of ways:

Pros:
-Drains enemy shields completely if they are in blast radius.
-Disables vehicles for a short amount of time.
-Instantly explodes on enemy and vehicle contact.
-Has the largest blast radius of all the grenades.
-Results in an EMP Blast medal :slight_smile:

Cons:
-Cannot kill enemies or destroy vehicles.

Needle Grenade - A revamped spike grenade from halo 3. I think this can be an awesome grenade if made right.

Pros:
-Instantly kills enemy players who are in radius resulting in a Needle Combine Explosion and Medal.
-Can stick enemy players resulting in a Needle Combine Explosion and Medal.

Cons:
-Unique Radius harder to cope with than other grenades.

Bubble Shield - Imagine the bubble shield we are all aware of, except you can throw it!

Pros:

• It’s a bubble shield.
  • instantly starts expanding when you throw it. Allowing you to save lives easier.

Cons:
-Can be destroyed by EMP Blasting Weapons and equipment.
-Can be destroyed by shooting it in it’s idle form.
-It cannot kill or destroy vehicles lol…

Discuss.

Needle Grenade. I miss the spike grenades.
Just, for that to exist, the Covenant would have to be somewhere.

Grenade Grenade: a grenade that flings another grenade the very same distance that you can throw a grenade for that extra grenade-throwing distance you always dreamed of.

Interesting ideas. I would say though that the emp grenade should have a normal blast radius, as loosing your shields leaves players incredibly vulnerable, especially if you have a BR

Also, i think your needle grenade should only stick to soft targets (players) and do more limited damage to vehicles. it basically sounds like a needler in grenade form, so think it should act like one, doing relatively low damage except for when enough needles hit you to super combine. then, well… secondary boom. and the bubbleshild grenade should expand rapidly and have more limited bouncing than say a frag grenade. maybe like a plasma without the sticky feature. i think it should be possible to drop one where you stand if you so choose.

otherwise those are all interesting ideas, not sure how any of them would play though. I think there might be enough emp weapons, especially if the GL returns, the needle grenade sounds (in function) kind of like a plasma grenade or spike grenade clone (sticky grenade), and the bubble shield is probably better as traditional equipment. having it as a grenade would imply that it would be redly attained in numbers, making it more game breaking than game improving.

Two sides to every coin. I vote interesting, but have to be thoroughly tested and considered.

> Grenade Grenade: a grenade that flings another grenade the very same distance that you can throw a grenade for that extra grenade-throwing distance you always dreamed of.

Perhaps they should make players able to throw 2 grenades at once with both hands XD

Grenade Grenades would be overpowered then lol…

> needle grenade sounds (in function) kind of like a plasma grenade or spike grenade clone (sticky grenade)

Make the Needler grenade less powerful and have it function as both the needler rifle and needler works. The grenades will do low damage if just by themselves,but when you stack up the amount of grenades you have…Boom.

Throwable bubble shield vs. the newly thought up “Regenerator Grenade”

My creative juices o man

> Grenade Grenade: a grenade that flings another grenade the very same distance that you can throw a grenade for that extra grenade-throwing distance you always dreamed of.

Yo dawg, we heard you like grenades, so we put a grenade in a grenade so you can grenade while you grenade

> > needle grenade sounds (in function) kind of like a plasma grenade or spike grenade clone (sticky grenade)
>
> Make the Needler grenade less powerful and have it function as both the needler rifle and needler works. The grenades will do low damage if just by themselves,but when you stack up the amount of grenades you have…Boom.

The reason Frag grenade and Plasma were both viable is due to them having different uses. frags were less powerful but easier to hit with and able to be bounced around corners. plasma grenades had a longer fish making them most viable only when you stick an enemy directly.

if you make the needle grenade, which sounds difficult to use (like the plasma grenade), deal low damage requiring multiple grenades to have full effect, then it will basically be useless, overshadowed the the returning grenade types unless there is some other effect that makes it special.

I think in halo 3 the spike grenades were slightly more powerful but harder to use. if the needle grenade remains difficult as the op suggested, they would have to be powerful, like the spike grenades were. but that still would lead to the problem of redundancy with plasma grenades. i think the main reason some chose spike over plasma was personal preference rather than a situational issue.

EMP grenade would be pretty cool.

> > > needle grenade sounds (in function) kind of like a plasma grenade or spike grenade clone (sticky grenade)
> >
> > Make the Needler grenade less powerful and have it function as both the needler rifle and needler works. The grenades will do low damage if just by themselves,but when you stack up the amount of grenades you have…Boom.
>
> The reason Frag grenade and Plasma were both viable is due to them having different uses. frags were less powerful but easier to hit with and able to be bounced around corners. plasma grenades had a longer fish making them most viable only when you stick an enemy directly.
>
> if you make the needle grenade, which sounds difficult to use (like the plasma grenade), deal low damage requiring multiple grenades to have full effect, then it will basically be useless, overshadowed the the returning grenade types unless there is some other effect that makes it special.
>
> I think in halo 3 the spike grenades were slightly more powerful but harder to use. if the needle grenade remains difficult as the op suggested, they would have to be powerful, like the spike grenades were. but that still would lead to the problem of redundancy with plasma grenades. i think the main reason some chose spike over plasma was personal preference rather than a situational issue.

Yeah,you can’t exactly stick the needler tracker onto the Needler grenade as that’s all it would need to overpower the Plasma grenade in terms of accuracy. I suppose they could however,act like the mines from TF2,you can plant them on walls and such and they detonate on proximity with the victim. The Grenades can also contain a certain amount of needles,enough to pop shields but not enough for a supercombine. They would perhaps fall back as a support type grenade. Although I’m afriad it would be copying slightly from the spike grenades,as those things stuck to walls.

Needle grenade could explode with a radios damage, followed by homing needles :stuck_out_tongue:

> Needle grenade could explode with a radios damage, followed by homing needles :stuck_out_tongue:

Thats what I’d be afraid of. I would assume it would be too OP,especially if the tracking was anything like H3. By God that was evil tracking capabilities the H3 needler had. Perhaps if they just shot out in a spread direction it would make it less powerful.

> Needle grenade could explode with a radios damage, followed by homing needles :stuck_out_tongue:

You know that actually doesn’t sound that bad. But the nade would have to either be huge or magically create the needles which still would be awesome. Point blank radius would be deadly O.O

> Yeah,you can’t exactly stick the needler tracker onto the Needler grenade as that’s all it would need to overpower the Plasma grenade in terms of accuracy. I suppose they could however,act like the mines from TF2,you can plant them on walls and such and they detonate on proximity with the victim. The Grenades can also contain a certain amount of needles,enough to pop shields but not enough for a supercombine. They would perhaps fall back as a support type grenade. Although I’m afriad it would be copying slightly from the spike grenades,as those things stuck to walls.

Hmm… actually i could see a proximity mine as a grenade. sticks where you throw it, detonating when a target comes in range. auto explores after maybe 30 seconds max, with a smaller blast radius compared to the halo 3 proxy mine to compensate for it being a grenade (greater quantity on map). id also say no IFF, so you only want to put it where you or your team won’t want to go. encourages communication cause you wouldn’t want to each up them betrayals.

still should be rare though. id hate it to turn into a game where every corner you turn could be your last. maybe have it beep softly so you would have to listen. if they are well placed you would be forced to waste a grenade to detonate it, or just go around…

maybe not such a good idea after all but ill say anyway.

> > Yeah,you can’t exactly stick the needler tracker onto the Needler grenade as that’s all it would need to overpower the Plasma grenade in terms of accuracy. I suppose they could however,act like the mines from TF2,you can plant them on walls and such and they detonate on proximity with the victim. The Grenades can also contain a certain amount of needles,enough to pop shields but not enough for a supercombine. They would perhaps fall back as a support type grenade. Although I’m afriad it would be copying slightly from the spike grenades,as those things stuck to walls.
>
> Hmm… actually i could see a proximity mine as a grenade. sticks where you throw it, detonating when a target comes in range. auto explores after maybe 30 seconds max, with a smaller blast radius compared to the halo 3 proxy mine to compensate for it being a grenade (greater quantity on map). id also say no IFF, so you only want to put it where you or your team won’t want to go. encourages communication cause you wouldn’t want to each up them betrayals.
>
> still should be rare though. id hate it to turn into a game where every corner you turn could be your last. maybe have it beep softly so you would have to listen. if they are well placed you would be forced to waste a grenade to detonate it, or just go around…
>
> maybe not such a good idea after all but ill say anyway.

I was considering the Betrayal thing,and I figured it would be no problem if it was removed. They would definitely be tactical and powerful if they were used to control choke points,and I’d see that as a huge disadvantage,especially if there was more than a couple per map. They would make for some interesting customs…Like the SAW gametypes haha

> I was considering the Betrayal thing,and I figured it would be no problem if it was removed. They would definitely be tactical and powerful if they were used to control choke points,and I’d see that as a huge disadvantage,especially if there was more than a couple per map. They would make for some interesting customs…Like the SAW gametypes haha

That is why i suggested allow betrayals. you cannot use them to simply seal up your base, unless you don’t want your ream to get in either. Same for the short duration you could toss a few around your flag room, go for a flag run, and they would be clear when you get back, hopefully having killed at lease one enemy and having protected the flag. encourages communication (communication is dead in Reach) and allows options without being too OP.

i could se maybe 4 available on a standard map, with a respawn time of 60 or 90. if your team got all 3 and wanted to be able to have max time coverage you could only use one at a time, or you could use all 4 for full coverage, but only for 1/4 the time. thats also why i suggested the beep. you could use them as a trap to lure enemies in a fight, but if it is quiet they could steer clear or use a frag to clear them. many ways to balance them, even for competitive.

> > I was considering the Betrayal thing,and I figured it would be no problem if it was removed. They would definitely be tactical and powerful if they were used to control choke points,and I’d see that as a huge disadvantage,especially if there was more than a couple per map. They would make for some interesting customs…Like the SAW gametypes haha
>
> That is why i suggested allow betrayals. you cannot use them to simply seal up your base, unless you don’t want your ream to get in either. Same for the short duration you could toss a few around your flag room, go for a flag run, and they would be clear when you get back, hopefully having killed at lease one enemy and having protected the flag. encourages communication (communication is dead in Reach) and allows options without being too OP.
>
> i could se maybe 4 available on a standard map, with a respawn time of 60 or 90. if your team got all 3 and wanted to be able to have max time coverage you could only use one at a time, or you could use all 4 for full coverage, but only for 1/4 the time. thats also why i suggested the beep. you could use them as a trap to lure enemies in a fight, but if it is quiet they could steer clear or use a frag to clear them. many ways to balance them, even for competitive.

Sort of like the actual Prox. Mine had from Halo 3. Yeah the beeping would be handy,but we don’t want it to get taken out by a grenade if its like 15 feet away from it. Although we don’t want it to be invincible either. I should be able to be set off from gunfire,just like we can blow up grenades when we shoot them. But yeah,damage output and use would be the big question of the Needler grenade.

Insta-kill-hax-grenade. Oh wait, that’s already in Reach. >.>

Needle nade sounds alright :slight_smile: