Possible meaning of Infinite in the title

Was thinking about the possible meaning behind the word, “Infinite” in the upcoming Halo title. Knowing 343 Industries, they have a reason directed towards the game’s main plot. Although not as obvious as Guardians in the last main Halo title, I had a feeling the title has something to do with Cortana. Considering her fragmentation during her rampancy during the events of Halo 4, and one of her personalities coming into contact with the Domain, triggering Halo 5’s events, what if the Infinite is a reference to how there might be many more fragments out there on the loose, possibly an Infinite number of them. A different and maybe more benevolent one might have a role in the storyline since it sounded like her (albeit, a little stunnish) at the end of Discovery Hope.

The UNSC Infinity supercarrier, probably.

Agree on the super carrier theory… maybe there is a moment in the game where the ship’s crew resolve is tested, or Chief has to do a blind rush to save it. Could also be that it is the only thing Cortana remembers in her rampancy, as she is always searching for it.

> 2533274917301945;2:
> The UNSC Infinity supercarrier, probably.

If that’s the case, why is the game called “Infinite” instead of “Infinity”? I would think the title pertains more to the rumored open world aspect of the game, meaning infinite possibilities. This is supposed to be the biggest Halo game to date, after all.

I’ve somewhat seen it as a statement about Halo as a franchise. That Halo itself is infinite in its possibilities, that it is here to stay, and that this game will set the foundation for the future of the franchise.

I’m not sure what actual thing, event, or aspect it could be referring to, but then again, I don’t know the story or gameplay. It’s possible that the title purely refers to the story or game.

Alternatively, it could mean both something in the story AND be a statement.

I thought about making a thread about this. But, you beat me to it!!!

Anyways, I used to think “Infinite” was a generic name for Halo. Until now…

I personally think “Infinite” implies much more than just UNSC Infinity. More than just DLCs, games as a service, and future contents.

I think the “Infinite” title is taking a more thematic, philosophical, and metaphorical approach. Here are a few keywords: inspiration, everlasting, impossible, dream, imagination, boundless, believe, faith, hope.

Halo Infinite is using themes, ideas, and certain outlooks on life that speaks “Reach for the impossible” type of notion. The type of outlook where imagination is boundless. Where growth is unlimited. Where there is always something to reach for. Fight for. Where there is always meaning. Where there is always Hope.

Of course, one can also argue that the opposite is also true! That there is Unlimited hopelessness. Unlimited pain. Unlimited darkness. And Halo Infinite addresses that… With Master Chief. MC is that symbolic point of inspiration. The spark that fuels the fighter, dreamer, and wanderer inside each of us.

Master Chief is that figure that lights up the pathway for humans to follow. A pioneer who’s actions inspire others to reach for what they once thought was impossible.

There is a reason why E3 2019 trailer is called “Discover Hope.” Why Halo Infinite cover art looks the way it does. Why they added the Pilot character.

Pondering about the meaning behind Halo Infinite title leads me to think that it also implies one’s journey to endless personal discoveries. A journey into the boundless unknown. Where infinite discoveries are made.

Halo Infinite is inspired by Halo CE. That much we know. But I’m willing to bet it took some huge inspirations from Dune as well.

Dan Chosich explains this very well in “The Making of E3 2018 Teaser” video!

P.S.

A movie that also used these similar themes and ideas I’ve discussed so far is INTERSTELLAR.

I think it comes down to the fact that it’s generic enough to mean anything. There are a lot of parallels being put forward between what Infinite is meant to be and what CE was when it first released. Think back to the name “Halo: Combat Evolved”. That sounds fairly generic too right? Evolved combat could mean literally anything. “Halo: Infinite” feels like a callback to that generic name.

Infinite fun, infinite grind, infinite amount of DLC they can add thanks to the new engine, infinite amount of smurfs; the possibilities are…infinite.

In all seriousness, I think Tariq9898 hits the nail on the head. The concept of infinity makes you wonder like a kid full of excitement trying to find the gold at the end of a rainbow.

> 2535435902217648;7:
> I think it comes down to the fact that it’s generic enough to mean anything. There are a lot of parallels being put forward between what Infinite is meant to be and what CE was when it first released. Think back to the name “Halo: Combat Evolved”. That sounds fairly generic too right? Evolved combat could mean literally anything. “Halo: Infinite” feels like a callback to that generic name.

The “Combat Evolved” subtitle wasn’t actually supposed to be there originally. Halo CE was originally just going to be called Halo, in a similar vein to past Bungie titles with their one-word names (Marathon, Myth, Oni, Destiny, Matter, etc.). Microsoft felt that just “Halo” wouldn’t be marketable enough. so they added the “Combat Evolved” subtitle at the last minute, hence why the subtitle isn’t present in the main menu.

Despite this, it was a fitting subtitle, as the game’s combat was truly unlike anything before it. It’s because of Halo CE that we have the “Shoot-Grenade-Melee” combat system that most modern shooters use. Half-Life introduced the storytelling and level design techniques that modern shooters use, but Halo brought out the combat mechanics.

> 2533274870308953;1:
> Was thinking about the possible meaning behind the word, “Infinite” in the upcoming Halo title. Knowing 343 Industries, they have a reason directed towards the game’s main plot. Although not as obvious as Guardians in the last main Halo title, I had a feeling the title has something to do with Cortana. Considering her fragmentation during her rampancy during the events of Halo 4, and one of her personalities coming into contact with the Domain, triggering Halo 5’s events, what if the Infinite is a reference to how there might be many more fragments out there on the loose, possibly an Infinite number of them. A different and maybe more benevolent one might have a role in the storyline since it sounded like her (albeit, a little stunnish) at the end of Discovery Hope.

What about there being the an infinite number of places to go

Well, I’m curious to see how long this new game will be kept relevant. Wouldn’t mind if it were like Windows 10 (Windows Infinite), or like Destiny 2 which will see a lifespan of at least six years. Hope they will add to the game before replacing it.

> 2535466533436400;4:
> > 2533274917301945;2:
> > The UNSC Infinity supercarrier, probably.
>
> If that’s the case, why is the game called “Infinite” instead of “Infinity”? I would think the title pertains more to the rumored open world aspect of the game, meaning infinite possibilities. This is supposed to be the biggest Halo game to date, after all.

I thought i heard the game was going to be called Halo 6: Infinity, but they changed it because Halo Infinite sounded better. Think COD Infinite Warfare, made by Infinity Ward. I may be wrong.

Maybe it has meta meaning about how Halo will last forever, or infinite possibilities (or whatever), or maybe they just want the marketing to seem that way.

It could also have to do with an infinite universe, the Warden Eternal (or Cortana somehow). Maybe the Prometheans rebrand themselves as “The Infinite” and Halo 6 is named similarly to Halo 5: Guardians.

I still think it was just named after the UNSC Infinity, similar to how many levels in previous Halo games were named after the Pillar of Autumn, Halo, and many other vessels. Then, they decided to change it slightly for marketing reasons. It does sound better, in my opinion, than Halo: Infinity.

> 2533274892901745;9:
> > 2535435902217648;7:
> > I think it comes down to the fact that it’s generic enough to mean anything. There are a lot of parallels being put forward between what Infinite is meant to be and what CE was when it first released. Think back to the name “Halo: Combat Evolved”. That sounds fairly generic too right? Evolved combat could mean literally anything. “Halo: Infinite” feels like a callback to that generic name.
>
> The “Combat Evolved” subtitle wasn’t actually supposed to be there originally. Halo CE was originally just going to be called Halo, in a similar vein to past Bungie titles with their one-word names (Marathon, Myth, Oni, Destiny, Matter, etc.). Microsoft felt that just “Halo” wouldn’t be marketable enough. so they added the “Combat Evolved” subtitle at the last minute, hence why the subtitle isn’t present in the main menu.
>
> Despite this, it was a fitting subtitle, as the game’s combat was truly unlike anything before it. It’s because of Halo CE that we have the “Shoot-Grenade-Melee” combat system that most modern shooters use. Half-Life introduced the storytelling and level design techniques that modern shooters use, but Halo brought out the combat mechanics.

That’s some interesting stuff I didn’t know, thanks!

I still tend to think that, in terms of current thought processes and the attempt to re-capture the magic of the original trilogy, the term “Infinite” feels just as generic sounding as “combat evolved” appeared to be back in 2001. It also sounds a lot better than “Halo 6”. In most instances (and to many people), going six installments deep into a franchise is a bit much. That’s “Mechashark vs Giant Octopus” territory lol.

I think it has to do with Time travel/parallel Universe story in it.Bioshock Infinite had this,for example of the word Infinite.

I personally feel that the term “infinite” may be linked to a new business model. Maybe part of the game such as Matchmaking will be free-to-play and the term infinite is a reference to the amount of players the game can support due to Microsoft’s new cloud technology. Another guess is the capabilities of Forge in combination with a new feature where there may be a playlist with infinite map opportunities. Overall, both are unlikely as it is probably linked to the story in some form.

My thoughts on why the ‘Infinite’ moniker is featured in the title has to do with 343 Industries’ vision for longevity into the next generation of Halo.

• Notice no semicolon ‘:’ between Halo and Infinite like other Halo suffix titles indicating a more significant use of the word Infinite. Infinite possibilities? - Another is to do with Halo Infinite being a ‘games for a service’ like World of Warcraft & Destiny that would run for quite a long time, indicating possibly Halo Infinite as the new franchise title which instead of sequels gets updates over time and a DLC bank that stores old content for easier load times and sizing.

> 2533274873172929;16:
> …
> - Another is to do with Halo Infinite being a ‘games for a service’ like World of Warcraft & Destiny that would run for quite a long time, indicating possibly Halo Infinite as the new franchise title which instead of sequels gets updates over time and a DLC bank that stores old content for easier load times and sizing.

Thats what I was thinking! Basically, what if 343 plans for Inifinite to be the ONLY Halo game through the entire run of the Series X. Depending what the new system is capable of, they could just just keep adding mulitplayer and campaign DLC to make Inifinite the new “Halo hub” for the foreseeable future. Kinda like MCC is the hub for all the old games, Inifinite can have all the new games and spin-offs moving forward. And then all we need is those two games to have essentially the entire Halo saga, and we can just forget about H5 entirely!

… kidding about that last part lol

> 2533274896268651;17:
> > 2533274873172929;16:
> > …
> > - Another is to do with Halo Infinite being a ‘games for a service’ like World of Warcraft & Destiny that would run for quite a long time, indicating possibly Halo Infinite as the new franchise title which instead of sequels gets updates over time and a DLC bank that stores old content for easier load times and sizing.
>
> Thats what I was thinking! Basically, what if 343 plans for Inifinite to be the ONLY Halo game through the entire run of the Series X. Depending what the new system is capable of, they could just just keep adding mulitplayer and campaign DLC to make Inifinite the new “Halo hub” for the foreseeable future. Kinda like MCC is the hub for all the old games, Inifinite can have all the new games and spin-offs moving forward. And then all we need is those two games to have essentially the entire Halo saga, and we can just forget about H5 entirely!
>
> … kidding about that last part lol

It has been proven that sequels split a franchises population over time due to so many differing viewpoints of what the franchise should be.

The way to host a continual audience is via updates over seasons or content streams like World of Warcraft, Fortnite, Destiny etc.

Only way to evolve is to host core mechanics and “force” your audience to update with the seasons content and game overhauls over the generations keeping a game relevant. In other worlds classic Halo with custom features for dual wielding, sprinting, spartan abilities, equipment etc. Story packs, new multiplayer maps, vehicles, weapons forge objects, firmware updates, QoL etc.

My gut tells me its something to do with the Domain or just the Forerunner legacy in general.