Possible Issue with the Shadows in Forge

How are we supposed to build enclosed rooms/maps without them being incredibly dark? The only possible solution is lights, but they have always caused frame-rate issues.

Walls have lights in them that turn on if needed. (at least, reach had that)

> Walls have lights in them that turn in if needed. (at least, reach had that)

Those, too, caused frame-rate issues. I haven’t seen any apparent lights on objects in Halo 4 videos so far though.

It was confirmed by Bs Angel a while back that if you make like a enclosed box, it won’t be so dark you can’t see.

> It was confirmed by Bs Angel a while back that if you make like a enclosed box, it won’t be so dark you can’t see.

I know that much haha. From the videos we’ve seen of Relay, there are still some very dark spots, and that map has a lot of windows on it. Think about what the outer ring on Relay would look like if there weren’t any windows.

I am more concerned with the special effects and how dark those will be.

It’s simple. Build a room with windowed walls.

And then we kill the Batman.

I’m sure they have some solution, or else they wouldn’t have added it.

> It’s simple. Build a room with windowed walls.
>
> And then we kill the Batman.

I don’t know why, but this made me crack-up.

I don’t think lights will cause as bad framerate with the dynamic lighting in place. The shadows also never get dark enough to where it will affect visibility.

> > It was confirmed by Bs Angel a while back that if you make like a enclosed box, it won’t be so dark you can’t see.
>
> I know that much haha. From the videos we’ve seen of Relay, there are still some very dark spots, and that map has a lot of windows on it. Think about what the outer ring on Relay would look like if there weren’t any windows.

Probably won’t make much of a difference for the shadowed areas, actually. Halo 4’s shadow map baking doesn’t seem to be especially sophisticated; what we’ve seen to far looks like it basically just traces out light blockage in a single pass. That is, a room without windows isn’t going to be any darker than a room with windows; the only difference in lighting will be the one spot where light comes through the window and hits the ground.

Actually, if the render lighting levels adjust for overall screen brightness, you might actually be able to see in the dark areas better if there aren’t any windows, since the screen will decide to become brighter overall.

//================================

Basically, these shadows are way too cheap to create the issues you’re worried about. And most really “good” light baking systems that would create those problems would also allow you to bake as many user-placed lights as you wanted (as in high-quality PC based map editors).

Rumor is that Frame Rate issues are a thing of the past… So we will see when it comes out though.

I’d personally love to have a dark room.