Possible Halsey, John-117 & Librarian theory

I apologize ahead of time if this is long. But I have a theory. What if Dr. Catherine Elizabeth Halsey and Master Chief Petty Officer John “Sierra” 117 are the reincarnations of the Didact and the Librarian? It would make sense because Dr Halsey was able to GENETICALLY alter a human’s biology and make them far superior to that of a normal human being by at least 5 times. John could be the reincarnation of the Didact because of his famed military experiences and renowned publicity within the UNSC. Being able to lead troops into battle and getting almost everyone out in one piece and overcoming incredible feats that would easily kill any other Spartan on the field no matter what their strengths. I believe that both Halsey and John are supposed to be the reincarnations of the Librarian and the Didact because, going from the cut-scenes of Halo 4, Spartan Ops and the terminals and books, they say that the Librarian is able to theoretically bend a person’s destiny to her liking and she is said to be able to view into the future, much like the way she was able to create a path for the young Forerunner Manipular, Bornsteller Makes Eternal Lasting, to the location of Earth which lead to the Didact’s Cryptum and awakening to help fight off the incoming Flood threat. It would explain why the Librarian, the head Life-worker, would be able to physically be in the presence of both John and Catherine in Halo 4; she anticipated both of their arrivals. She may very well be still alive as well as the Ur-Didact (Didact in Halo 4). In Halo 4, the Librarian told John that “The gene-song I placed within you contains many gifts, including an immunity to the Composer. But it must be unlocked!” Given this statement, it would seem that the Librarian had foreseen this event or guessed at an outcome and placed what she calls a ‘gene-song’ in John’s body. Another instance that the Librarian has theoretically passed her persona along to Catherine when she trusts Catherine with the Jonus Key, a device that tracks all known pieces of Forerunner technology strewn across the galaxy and the simple fact that the Librarian knows who Catherine is, even down to her name and she knows John’s real name even though not many (excluding a VERY select few UNSC marines and ONI officers) know his true name. However, the Librarian doesn’t say John’s name and simply calls him ‘Reclaimer’. Even had she not known his true name, she knows who John is, down to the very fiber of his being. Maybe because she was able to see his prowess in combat or she was able to foresee all the events play out before they ever happened. It’s the only logical reason for the Librarian to know who John and Catherine are. I believe that the Librarian as well as the Ur-Didact to still be alive somewhere in the galaxy. Why else would a physical object be given if the Librarian were an artificial intelligence. If you have different views, then please post them in the comments below (no hate or trolling, please). And again, this is only theory, not fact.

This is a really good theory. I still find it hard to believe though. How can Catherine “bend” people to her will (shape their destiny) as the Librarian can? Also, weren’t the Librarian and Didact at odds with how to deal with the threat of the flood? Didact wasn’t/isn’t a product of the Librarian, he doesn’t owe her anything. But I am inclined to believe it just because of how awesome it would be if this was canon.

Dr. Halsey might not have been able to bend people to her will, but she is able to manipulate their biology and strengthen them, which, in a sense, ties into how the Librarian was able to guide Bornsteller to the Didact’s Cryptum and how she was able to alter John’s biology to make him immune to the effects of the Composer. While it’s true that the Didact didn’t owe the Librarian anything, you have to compare John’s prowess with the Didact’s. Both want to fight things their way instead of destroy themselves to save others. In Halo 4, we see that, after the loss of Cortana, the Chief finds it hard to cope with his humanity simply because that was Cortana’s job. In his head, while he was able to save humanity for the umpteenth time, he still sees it as mission failed simply because he wasn’t able to save Cortana or any of the scientists in Ivanoff Station. The Didact, on the other hand, couldn’t cope with agreeing to destroy his own people so that he could save thousands of species within Forerunner-controlled space. Combine both statements together, and we get this. Both the Didact’s and the Chief’s strong urge to win their way, any way they could, put them in the same boat. While they’re both willing to sacrifice themselves to the cause, they find it hard to do so because if it failed, then it would be mission failed and it would’ve been in vain; if you get where/what I’m trying to say.

My theory is John has the Didact’s Geas (I highly believe this), and Halsey has the Librarian’s Geas (I’m not too sure about this one).

I think your correct Ghost and we will see Halo pan out this way.

I also think The Librarian / Halsey and Cortana are one and the same.

If you watch the end of Halo 4 when John 117 takes off his armour he is making the shape of The Didacts symbol.

> My theory is John has the Didact’s Geas (I highly believe this), and Halsey has the Librarian’s Geas (I’m not too sure about this one).

No, i don’t think so, all geases come from Librarian, she is the only one who places a geas and plans for the future. She has put a geas for everything, halsey, spartans, cortana…
John has some strange contact with the Didact, he could have his imprint (memories or consciousness) like Fortchencho in Chakas, but this is part of Librarians plans.

What I mean is the difference between geas and imprint, probably john has the Didact’s consciousness and Librarian caused this.

Paragraphs are your friend…

> I think your correct Ghost and we will see Halo pan out this way.
>
> I also think The Librarian / Halsey and Cortana are one and the same.
>
>
> If you watch the end of Halo 4 when John 117 takes off his armour he is making the shape of The Didacts symbol.

Pretty sure that was intended as a crucifix symbol, a Jesus on the cross pose.

I don’t know if “reincarnation” is really the right word to be honest.

Nothing against your theory in and of itself, but this sort of thing is why I don’t like Greg Bear’s and 343i’s interpretation of the Forerunner’s history and their last days. Stuff like geas/genesongs, Librarian apparently planning Master Chief and Cortana’s existences over 100,000 years in the past, ancient human empires, the Flood being created as a test to see if we can hold the Mantle, etc.

I knew that we weren’t going to be given the exact story from the Halo 3 terminals, but this just all seems way too silly for me. As its own story, I’m sure it would be fantastic. I really do. But this seems like it should be part of Star Wars rather than Halo.

> My theory is John has the Didact’s Geas (I highly believe this), and Halsey has the Librarian’s Geas (I’m not too sure about this one).

Alot think this.

This theory doesn’t seem too bad, but, if the Librarian ‘planned’ for all of this to happen, then why did she not just give the Janus Key to Chief? We all know that it would have been much safer. And i find it extremely odd how she can ‘anticipate the future’. I mean, did she foresee that ONI was going to try and kill Halsey, and cause her to lose one arm? Did she foresee that Cortana was going to die in the aftermath of the battle with the Didact? It seems a bit cheesy if you ask me. I think the Librarian may be able to elevate Halsey to Life-shaper rank, by speeding up her evolution, kind of how she did the Chief, but reincarnations? Hardly. Destined successors for the aforementioned position(s) maybe, but not reincarnations of the same people.

> This theory doesn’t seem too bad, but, if the Librarian ‘planned’ for all of this to happen, <mark>then why did she not just give the Janus Key to Chief? We all know that it would have been much safer</mark>. And i find it extremely odd how she can ‘anticipate the future’. I mean, did she foresee that ONI was going to try and kill Halsey, and cause her to lose one arm? Did she foresee that Cortana was going to die in the aftermath of the battle with the Didact? It seems a bit cheesy if you ask me. I think the Librarian may be able to elevate Halsey to Life-shaper rank, by speeding up her evolution, kind of how she did the Chief, but reincarnations? Hardly. Destined successors for the aforementioned position(s) maybe, but not reincarnations of the same people.

Because at the time, Infinity was held down by gravity well, and the Didact was on the loose. Bad idea.

> Nothing against your theory in and of itself, but this sort of thing is why I don’t like Greg Bear’s and 343i’s interpretation of the Forerunner’s history and their last days. Stuff like geas/genesongs, Librarian apparently planning Master Chief and Cortana’s existences over 100,000 years in the past, ancient human empires, the Flood being created as a test to see if we can hold the Mantle, etc.
>
> I knew that we weren’t going to be given the exact story from the Halo 3 terminals, but this just all seems way too silly for me. As its own story, I’m sure it would be fantastic. I really do. But this seems like it should be part of Star Wars rather than Halo.

The thing about geas and genesongs is that they don’t directly make something so. They are more like little nudges in a certain direction. I mean to me personally it does sort of make Chief a “Chosen One” cliche, but the process itself isn’t too bad. After all, the Librarian may have nudged humanity down certain choices, but it was humans who made the augmentations for Spartans, it was humans who made Smart AIs like Cortana and it was humans who made MJOLNIR.

I would argue that perhaps the Librarian has the best intentions, but is trying to have the Forerunners live vicariously through humanity. It will be our choice where we go in the end.

For me, it’s not the one plot point, but the entirety of it. Ancient human empires, the Flood being a test for humanity, Forerunners imprinting themselves on each other, the Precursors being the mysterious ancient race because we can’t have the Forerunners being the mysterious ancient race anymore, the whole nine yards. The Forerunner books have left a bad taste in my mouth since the beginning. I’m not criticizing Greg Bear. Like I said before, they sound like they’d be great stories on their own, but it just doesn’t sound like it all belongs in the Halo Universe no matter how many things from the Halo 3 terminals you throw in there.

I wouldn’t really care so much if I didn’t think it was going to bleed in to the main series. But Librarian unlocks Master Chief’s genesong to make him immune to the Composer, he and Cortana were the end results of milennia of genetic manipulation (for what purpose? To save humanity from the Didact? The Covenant? The Flood? What? It makes no sense), and now we think that Chief might have the Didact’s geas, making him the 3rd Didact or something? It’s weak.

I actually am in the process in writing very very rough outlines for a simpler tale that tells of the Forerunners’ downfall against the Flood and their galactic suicide based more on the Halo 3 terminals, with some elements from the Greg Bear books thrown in as well (mostly names and characters rather than stuff like genesongs and Ancient Human Empires). It’s not going past the outline stage; it’s just for fun. Can I tell a better tale than Bear? Well, I wouldn’t be so presumptuous. Like I said, it’s an attempt to simply tell the tale of the Forerunner-Flood War without all the “space magic” elements coming into play. And like I said, I’m just doing it for fun.

I also came to this theory from different evidance

1. Catherine notes similarities between the composers design and human ai matrix scanner
  2. 343 statement he found the librarian in the unsc database ( forerunner sage book 3)
    3 they look similar
    Also i find it intreaging a medical doctor has great knowledge of computer science astro science and other areas to such a high level

a very good theory. maybe 343 is heading the way you think. it is a wide believed theory and many have had the same thought including me. Good job on the theory and post

I wanted 117 to have the Lord of Admirals gea.