Possible Corrections for the 2011 TFoR Reissue

Tor Books is re-issuing the reprint of The Fall of Reach in mass-market paperback and calling it the definitive edition. It is due this June. I have created this thread in the desperate hope of Reaching someone at 343 Industries. All listings are from the 2010 print of the book.

Issue #1: Known Covenant Races

Towards the end of page 275 Catherine Halsey starts commenting on the existence of different Covenant species. While the 2010 reprint acknowledges the existence of the Elites, it states that ONI only hypothesizes about the existence of Brutes. Halo Evolutions makes it very clear that humanity knows all to well about the existence of this species. The same matter is true for Prophets, as Halo Legends makes it clear that humanity knows they exist as well (“The Babysitter”).

Issue #2: MJOLNIR Shield Technology

Page 283 cites Dr. Halsey as saying the Mark V armor system uses shielding derived from what the Jackals use. In every game, the Mark V’s shielding more closely resembles Elite shielding.

Issue #3: Artificial Gravity

Also on page 283 is mention that UNSC engineers had recently made advancements in artificial gravity, and that some UNSC ships were already using the technology. In Halo Wars, we clearly see the Spirit of Fire with artificial gravity twenty-two years prior to The Fall of Reach.

Issue #4: Pillar of Autumn Refit Time

On page 271 (August 25th) Cortana states that she will begin the Pillar of Autumn’s refit. Two days later on page 276, she states that the ship is refit. While this seems to be in order with the original print, the 2010 edition adds the aformentioned communications log between Keyes and a Vice Admiral alluding to the refit operation as taking multiple days. Keyes states that the refit is 98% complete with seventy-two hours remaining.

EDIT: I removed the section about making the book fit in with the game. After watching some of the cinematics again, this really isn’t feasible without rewriting the whole last chapter and some stuff before it.

I could have sworn it already came out. I saw a copy at Barnes and Nobles in Wichita.

The Definitive Edition of First Strike is out, but I can’t find one for The Fall of Reach anywhere. Everyone says June 2011.

Found it: Halo: The Fall of Reach (Definitive Edition)

Hey 343ie’s, could you enlighten us? I kind of want to buy the KOBO editions of the new re-editions too.

> Issue #2: MJOLNIR Shield Technology
>
> Page 283 cites Dr. Halsey as saying the Mark V armor system uses shielding derived from what the Jackals use. In every game, the Mark V’s shielding more closely resembles Elite shielding.

ONI could have produced armor shields based on the Jackal shields that just happened to operate similar to Elites. It’s a safe assumption that all Covenant shield technology is related.

> Issue #3: Artificial Gravity
>
> Also on page 283 is mention that UNSC engineers had recently made advancements in artificial gravity, and that some UNSC ships were already using the technology. In Halo Wars, we clearly see the Spirit of Fire with artificial gravity twenty-two years prior to The Fall of Reach.

Recently is a relative term. For example, I would call the Internet a recent technological advancement even though it is about 40 years old.

Well it’s a good thing I waited before I bought the new Fall of Reach. I really hope the corrected info will clean up most of the confusion post Halo: Reach.

Reach should be corrected, not the books.

I wish they fixed some, rather than add a few more in tFoR.

Contact Harvest and Halo Wars both put all known Covenant races at one planet during the first 5 years of the war. The C.P. clearly has the Sangheili known before the events of Reach.

Human tech shields may work like the Sangheili’s, but as far as I know, they’re still reversed from the Kig-yar’s. I agree, puzzling. But answers come in time. Just keep poking questions, not so much assertions of the contrary.

The arti.-gravity as said, but not just that, the description hardly matches CE’s appearance of the Autumn.

As for the first arrival and subsequent mission dates, agreed a slight altering could smooth things out.

But, as I treat the novels as skuttle-butt/watercooler-talk, I have no problems as is.

am i the only one who finds it stupid they are waiting till now to release it?

i wasted money when i bought the re-edition thinking it was going to have corrections to the canon, im just not wasteing my time buying this now after i already bought the re-edition which was only bigger with new cover art and had a few things at the end which have nothing to do with the book itself, maby first strike because bungie has said in the legendary video jun survived so i want to see what happens to jun and master chief

> Tor Books is re-issuing the reprint of The Fall of Reach in mass-market paperback and calling it the definitive edition. It is due this June. I have created this thread in the desperate hope of Reaching someone at 343 Industries. All listings are from the 2010 print of the book.
>
> Issue #1: Known Covenant Races
>
> Towards the end of page 275 Catherine Halsey starts commenting on the existence of different Covenant species. While the 2010 reprint acknowledges the existence of the Elites, it states that ONI only hypothesizes about the existence of Brutes. Halo Evolutions makes it very clear that humanity knows all to well about the existence of this species. The same matter is true for Prophets, as Halo Legends makes it clear that humanity knows they exist as well (“The Babysitter”).
>
> Issue #2: MJOLNIR Shield Technology
>
> Page 283 cites Dr. Halsey as saying the Mark V armor system uses shielding derived from what the Jackals use. In every game, the Mark V’s shielding more closely resembles Elite shielding.
>
> Issue #3: Artificial Gravity
>
> Also on page 283 is mention that UNSC engineers had recently made advancements in artificial gravity, and that some UNSC ships were already using the technology. In Halo Wars, we clearly see the Spirit of Fire with artificial gravity twenty-two years prior to The Fall of Reach.
>
> Issue #4: First Arrival of the Covenant at Reach
>
> Pages 325 and 326 quote Captain Keyes as saying that he is suddenly surprised the Covenant had managed to find Reach. By this point in time in the Reach game, the planet was already visibly under assault. The 2010 reprint also contains a communications log from Captain Keyes to a vice admiral alluding to the planet having been under invasion for days.

your slightly misguided. the brutes were rarley deployed. only for missions in large civilian areas (martial law would be declared anyway, and ONI never tells the whole truth).
mjolnir shielding WAS reverse engineered from jakal shields, as elite shielding is cannonicaly ‘weaker’ than mjolnir shields.
the spirit of fire did not have true artifical gravity. though not shown the game, most areas were low gravity most likley.

> > Tor Books is re-issuing the reprint of The Fall of Reach in mass-market paperback and calling it the definitive edition. It is due this June. I have created this thread in the desperate hope of Reaching someone at 343 Industries. All listings are from the 2010 print of the book.
> >
> > Issue #1: Known Covenant Races
> >
> > Towards the end of page 275 Catherine Halsey starts commenting on the existence of different Covenant species. While the 2010 reprint acknowledges the existence of the Elites, it states that ONI only hypothesizes about the existence of Brutes. Halo Evolutions makes it very clear that humanity knows all to well about the existence of this species. The same matter is true for Prophets, as Halo Legends makes it clear that humanity knows they exist as well (“The Babysitter”).
> >
> > Issue #2: MJOLNIR Shield Technology
> >
> > Page 283 cites Dr. Halsey as saying the Mark V armor system uses shielding derived from what the Jackals use. In every game, the Mark V’s shielding more closely resembles Elite shielding.
> >
> > Issue #3: Artificial Gravity
> >
> > Also on page 283 is mention that UNSC engineers had recently made advancements in artificial gravity, and that some UNSC ships were already using the technology. In Halo Wars, we clearly see the Spirit of Fire with artificial gravity twenty-two years prior to The Fall of Reach.
> >
> > Issue #4: First Arrival of the Covenant at Reach
> >
> > Pages 325 and 326 quote Captain Keyes as saying that he is suddenly surprised the Covenant had managed to find Reach. By this point in time in the Reach game, the planet was already visibly under assault. The 2010 reprint also contains a communications log from Captain Keyes to a vice admiral alluding to the planet having been under invasion for days.
>
> your slightly misguided. the brutes were rarley deployed. only for missions in large civilian areas (martial law would be declared anyway, and ONI never tells the whole truth).
> mjolnir shielding WAS reverse engineered from jakal shields, as elite shielding is cannonicaly ‘weaker’ than mjolnir shields.
> the spirit of fire did not have true artifical gravity. though not shown the game, most areas were low gravity most likley.

actually their is the issue with the spirit of fire haveing artifical gravity,cant remember when it said they developed it so if somebody could verify it to see if it interfears with halo wars

and second error is red team was working on civilian deployments and not at the pillar of automn(well i guess the remainder since 3 of them are lost in space)

> your slightly misguided. the brutes were rarley deployed. only for missions in large civilian areas (martial law would be declared anyway, and ONI never tells the whole truth).
> mjolnir shielding WAS reverse engineered from jakal shields, as elite shielding is cannonicaly ‘weaker’ than mjolnir shields.
> the spirit of fire did not have true artifical gravity. though not shown the game, most areas were low gravity most likley.

Brutes

Nevertheless, there existence has been confirmed, not hypothesized. My issues lie with the last word in that sentence. It would make more sense to make it say, “ONI knows of two additional species.” instead of “ONI hypothesizes the existence of two additional species.”

MJONLIR Shielding

I didn’t say they weren’t originally engineered from Jackal shielding. All I said was it isn’t consistent with the games. And it’s not surprising that ONI did a better job of it than the Covenant did. They don’t create, they imitate, and rather poorly. As an example, Cortana was able to do way better with the Ascendant Justice’s plasma canon’s than the Covenant themselves could. How many sources actually say that MJOLNIR shielding was derived from the Jackal’s stuff?

Artificial Gravity

Someone else made what I consider to be a more valid point. “Recent” could easily mean thirty years. Your hypothesis, though, would say that being in orbit gives you low gravity. I really doubt this as being in orbit also forces you away from the planet due to centrifical force. You are effectively weightless.

> and second error is red team was working on civilian deployments and not at the pillar of automn(well i guess the remainder since 3 of them are lost in space)

WHAT?! Halo: Reach says Red Team was assisting with civilian evacuations?

And for reference, they didn’t return to the Pillar of Autumn. They went underground beneath CASTLE Base.

@Green Alloy(forgot to quote): Maybe, maybe not. Re-releasing Reach wouldn’t be an economically smart or even feasible move. Remember that Eric Nylund help a bit in the Halo: Reach story line. I’m very sure they had a compromise and this definitive edition was sort of planned but, I guess tor jumped the gun and released a new version that had problems with it. I rather have the book changed than confusion to persists. I think it’s one of the best options we have right now.

I don’t think it’s a full reissue. It’s standard form to release in hardback or trade paper, then mass market. They’re just going to a different edit to address the year issue and possibly changing the cover.

> > and second error is red team was working on civilian deployments and not at the pillar of automn(well i guess the remainder since 3 of them are lost in space)
>
> WHAT?! Halo: Reach says Red Team was assisting with civilian evacuations?
>
> And for reference, they didn’t return to the Pillar of Autumn. They went underground beneath CASTLE Base.

yeah in the cutscene after new alexandria jun askes carter about gauntlet red and echo team being assigned to civilian evac ops

Wow. I watched that and then some other cinematics.

So let me get this straight: Reach is totally screwed by August 23rd and everything’s on fire with civilians being evacuated with the help of Red Team. But lo and behold, six days later, they have a briefing at CASTLE Base telling them about capturing a prophet.

And this point, there just isn’t any point in editing the book to fit in with the game. You’d need to make way too many adjustments and you may as well just scrap it at point and declare it non-canonical. What I’m saying is, that game completely trashes the whole last third of the book.

I have updated my initial post accordingly.

i agree with everyone on the fact that with the release of Halo Reach they story of the universe is contradictory at times but bear in mind that Tfor was written almost 10 years ago now so its a fair assumption at that point halo reach wasnt planned or even considered. just be thankful that this expansive universe has had this enduring appeal that people appreciate.

I hope they try to make Reach fit into the book.