Possible canon explanation for armor design change

I know us halo fans love our totally unnecessary lore explanations for design changes, and I just thought of a pretty good one to explain the monumental shift in armor aesthetic between 5 and infinite, and it’s pretty simple. Banished weapons. The covenant loved plasma, and employed plasma in basically every role imaginable. Small arms, high explosive, hell even melee weapons were made of plasma. But the banished don’t always follow this convention. The banished employ a lot more solid projectile weapons, namely their spike weapons, and having smooth armors with minimal places for a projectile to ‘catch’ would be much better than the armor of 5, which minimizes deflection chance by having very complicated armor geometry.

That’s good. Bug we were fighting prometheans for sometime after halo 4, what’s the tech projectile, “hard-light”? Would that be closer to plasma then?

> 2533274812935863;2:
> That’s good. Bug we were fighting prometheans for sometime after halo 4, what’s the tech projectile, “hard-light”? Would that be closer to plasma then?

It could be argued that Promethean weapons are poorly understood and hard light isn’t a traditional projectile.

That, and another big factor. Alot of armors in Halo 4 and Halo 5 were outsourced armors made by 3rd party companies working closely with the UNSC and ONI. Much like in real life instead of all of these armors being produced in-house by the UNSC, some of them were designed and manufactured by companies. This would of course lead to design and function changes, because the Generation 1 armors were all created and designed, for the most part, in-house by ONI and Dr. Halsey. Since Halsey is back in the loop of things post-Halo 5, she is now designing and contributing to the armors again which is leading to the armors being closer in design to Gen1 forms.
That’s the lore explanation. Notice, in Halo 5 and Halo 4, armors made by specific companies in lore all follow a similar design pattern and motif. You’ll find most people in Halo 5 wearing armors made directly by ONI’s Watergate Division, Hannibal Weapon Systems, Misriah Armory, etc. With Dr. Halsey back in the saddle for armor design, the Gen3 armors are not only very advanced but have features on them that the Gen 2 suits were missing.

The non-lore explanation, which is pretty similar to the lore explanation, is that 343 industries outsourced some of the armor designs to other studios and companies to diversify the designs and motifs among Halo 5’s armor sets.

> 2533274882898126;4:
> That, and another big factor. Alot of armors in Halo 4 and Halo 5 were outsourced armors made by 3rd party companies working closely with the UNSC and ONI. Much like in real life instead of all of these armors being produced in-house by the UNSC, some of them were designed and manufactured by companies. This would of course lead to design and function changes, because the Generation 1 armors were all created and designed, for the most part, in-house by ONI and Dr. Halsey. Since Halsey is back in the loop of things post-Halo 5, she is now designing and contributing to the armors again which is leading to the armors being closer in design to Gen1 forms.
> That’s the lore explanation. Notice, in Halo 5 and Halo 4, armors made by specific companies in lore all follow a similar design pattern and motif. You’ll find most people in Halo 5 wearing armors made directly by ONI’s Watergate Division, Hannibal Weapon Systems, Misriah Armory, etc. With Dr. Halsey back in the saddle for armor design, the Gen3 armors are not only very advanced but have features on them that the Gen 2 suits were missing.
>
> The non-lore explanation, which is pretty similar to the lore explanation, is that 343 industries outsourced some of the armor designs to other studios and companies to diversify the designs and motifs among Halo 5’s armor sets.

In fairness though a tonne of manufacturing companies and corporations with ties to the UNSC have tried their hand at making Mjolnir Armor modifications and designs.

Its a very diverse portfolio of Spartan Armors on offer and from an equally diverse share of companies with different uses, strengths and weaknesses.

Halsey once again being part of the process will no doubt bring back some focus into the needs and design of the armor which I feel was blurred somewhat after the human covenant war. With humanity at peace they had more time to try more radical and experimental ideas, with varying degrees of success.

So what’s going to be the lore explanation for removing the integrated thrusters and sprinting?

“Magical voices in our head complained about PVP being too quick so we removed the thrusters to make fighting slower.”
“Bob? Why are you listening to voices in your head, we’re fighting a war for survival against the Created and the Banished. Mobility helps keep us alive!”
“The magical voices know all. Now don’t mind me while I remove sprinting so our super soldiers can only jog everywhere.”

I actually enjoyed the quicker, and smoother, mobility Halo 5 provided with the thrusters and sprinting. But anyone who knows anything about combat knows mobility keeps you alive. So I am REALLY curious as to what reason, if any, they’ll provide to explain why they nerfed the Spartans.

> 2533274825081591;6:
> So what’s going to be the lore explanation for removing the integrated thrusters and sprinting?
>
> “Magical voices in our head complained about PVP being too quick so we removed the thrusters to make fighting slower.”
> “Bob? Why are you listening to voices in your head, we’re fighting a war for survival against the Created and the Banished. Mobility helps keep us alive!”
> “The magical voices know all. Now don’t mind me while I remove sprinting so our super soldiers can only jog everywhere.”
>
> I actually enjoyed the quicker, and smoother, mobility Halo 5 provided with the thrusters and sprinting. But anyone who knows anything about combat knows mobility keeps you alive. So I am REALLY curious as to what reason, if any, they’ll provide to explain why they nerfed the Spartans.

video games and their gameplay mentality change. Thats all the reason needed. We dont know enough about the gen 3 series of armor, but one possible explanation is the removal of thrusters was done in order to power the hardlight shielding. So the reduction in mobility was done to increase overall defensiveness of the unit. That of course is a hald -Yoink- explanation I came up with on the spot. Really though, we dont need one. There were mechanics that really did not fit the gameplay of the vison of halo they moved towards and they removed them. Thats all the reason players need.

> 2533274825081591;6:
> So what’s going to be the lore explanation for removing the integrated thrusters and sprinting?
>
> “Magical voices in our head complained about PVP being too quick so we removed the thrusters to make fighting slower.”
> “Bob? Why are you listening to voices in your head, we’re fighting a war for survival against the Created and the Banished. Mobility helps keep us alive!”
> “The magical voices know all. Now don’t mind me while I remove sprinting so our super soldiers can only jog everywhere.”
>
> I actually enjoyed the quicker, and smoother, mobility Halo 5 provided with the thrusters and sprinting. But anyone who knows anything about combat knows mobility keeps you alive. So I am REALLY curious as to what reason, if any, they’ll provide to explain why they nerfed the Spartans.

Using the thrusters did a number on the Mjolnir’s power systems, not to mention the mere act of running would prevent shields from recharging, something that would undoubtedly end up killing many Spartans during ops.
That being said, the Gen3 armors were based off of Halsey’s Gen1 Mark VII designs, which happens to be the most advanced armor made my modern Humans. The shields can move, shape and mold to give the maximum protection when taking a hit, it’s easier to maintain by yourself, and it’s full of the most advanced nanobots, meaning whenever the suit takes alot of damage, it will fix itself over time. Sprinting has not been removed and has been confirmed for Halo Infinite, thrusters being taken out is most likely a design choice by Halsey and due to the fact that it drains the power systems more than what is truly necessary. Don’t think of it as a nerf, moreso they decided to put more advaced technologies inside the suits rather than increased mobility via thrusters.

> 2533274825081591;6:
>
>

Couldn’t agree more. I’m also a little sad to see spartan movement getting nerfed. A good lore explanation for this would be good. Some of the explanations people are coming up with seem reasonable. I’d be interested to see them weave an explanation of it into campaign dialog somehow.

> 2533274825081591;6:

What was the lore reason for Spartans no longer being able to shoot while sprinting?
And at slower speeds in-game than they have been documented to retain full combat capabilities and accuracy in-universe, mind you.

What was the lore reason for Spartans foregoing the superior smart-link systems on weapons that provided video feedback from the gun itself and could actually calculate where the bullet will land, instead resorting to crude and outdated iron sights from literally over 600 years ago?

> 2533274825081591;6:
> But anyone who knows anything about combat knows mobility keeps you alive. So I am REALLY curious as to what reason, if any, they’ll provide to explain why they nerfed the Spartans.

Anyone who knows anything about combat knows that shooting the enemy dead is what actually keeps you alive. Running around like a headless chicken in the middle of a gunfight doesn’t.
Forcing weapons down for sprint was stupid from the get-go, both from a lore and a gameplay perspective.

Besides, as has been mentioned, as far as we know Infinite will still have sprint (and allegedly also ADS on non-scoped weapons), so it’ll still not make any sense in the context of lore.

@Topic: The reason for the change in design of the Mjolnir is most likely that the UNSC realized that having an “armor” which isn’t actually armored on over 50% of the Spartan’s body doesn’t provide enough protection.

> 2533274801176260;10:
> > 2533274825081591;6:
> > So what’s going to be the lore explanation for removing the integrated thrusters and sprinting?
>
> What was the lore reason for Spartans no longer being able to shoot while sprinting?
> And at slower speeds in-game than they have been documented to retain full combat capabilities and accuracy in-universe, mind you.
>
> What was the lore reason for Spartans foregoing the superior smart-link systems on weapons that provided video feedback from the gun itself and could actually calculate where the bullet will land, instead resorting to crude and outdated iron sights from literally over 600 years ago?
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274825081591;6:
> > But anyone who knows anything about combat knows mobility keeps you alive. So I am REALLY curious as to what reason, if any, they’ll provide to explain why they nerfed the Spartans.
>
> Anyone who knows anything about combat knows that shooting the enemy dead is what actually keeps you alive. Running around like a headless chicken in the middle of a gunfight doesn’t.
> Forcing weapons down for sprint was stupid from the get-go, both from a lore and a gameplay perspective.
>
> Besides, as has been mentioned, as far as we know Infinite will still have sprint (and allegedly also ADS on non-scoped weapons), so it’ll still not make any sense in the context of lore.
>
> @Topic: The reason for the change in design of the Mjolnir is most likely that the UNSC realized that having an “armor” which isn’t actually armored on over 50% of the Spartan’s body doesn’t provide enough protection.

In a combat situation where your enemy could be around any corner (as is true in almost every game mode in halo) you’re trained to walk briskly with your gun at the ready, which is exactly what Spartans do in-game before 4 (and reach technically) sprinting never really made sense. As for thrusters, it really could just be a case of added weight and energy consumption vs returns. Why doesn’t every Spartan have a Jetpack AND active cammo AND a hologram system AND a bubble shield? Probably because those systems all weigh too much and use to much energy compared to the two technologies that have been in every platform in-game: smart link and energy shielding. Getting more bullets on target and being able to safely absorb enemy fire are both simple and efficient ways to increase your effectiveness in a firefight, whereas zooming around, running with your gun down, and floating in the air are not. There doesn’t NEED to be a canon explanation, but they gave a (really dumb) one for why elites and jackals look different, so I just thought it would be fun to think of why armors would look so drastically different as well. I didn’t think this would boil down to another H4/5 vs Original trilogy thread, but sadly it seems to have done so.

im just going to leave this here: Sprint doesn’t belong in halo, advanced mobility makes halo a worse game, H4/5 armors look stupid, and there is hardly anything redeemable about the H4/5 covenant designs as well.