Population Decline

Hey all,

I enjoy using my new iPhone 5 to browse the forums when I get a chance. I am used to only using my laptop. So now I lurk more and post less. A lot of what I see are people talking about how the population is in such terrible decline compared to when the game first shipped.

They then take that claim and use it to push their agendas such as “oh the population is in decline and it is because 343 has not nerfed the DMR yet.” Or, “the population is falling and it is because the competitive players have not been given their due.”

Sadly, I have not seen a single person act as the voice of reason and logic by stating facts: the population is falling because it happens to every game. Black ops 2 has seen a drop in population. People play a game when it first comes out and then switch over to sporadically playing it.

Halo is not dying. Halo 4 is currently fourth on major Nelson’s list for most played games and its actually very good considering it is up against black ops two and mine craft. Not to mention fourth place out of all the games on the entire platform is something many developers would kill for.

Just thought I would enlighten the forum with some facts before I play some games. Have a great night all.

halo 3 was better then the COD out in its day.

BO2 still has around 300K-100K on most days
H4 at max is around 50-80k at only 4-5 months release

Halo 4 is dying because 343 lacks the proper mentality to fix whats broken and keep whats not

If you think the average joe gamer cares or notices balancing issues you are mistaken. Call of duty is more popular because it appeals more to what casual gamers want.

Buddy, say whatever you want too. I used to log dozens of hours a week on H2, H3 and then less on Reach, and now I barely even play H4.

Reach’s DMR sucked. Bloom and AA were lame. So I disliked Reach.

Halo 4 has a laundry list of problems.

I still game, just not so much on H4, because it sucks.

When they had the forge playlists I played them like a maniac. Those levels were FUN! Then they left. Now it’s poo.

> If you think the average joe gamer cares or notices balancing issues you are mistaken. Call of duty is more popular because it appeals more to what casual gamers want.

Wierd how halo 3 two years after its release it still was going strong while fighting mw2

> If you think the average joe gamer cares or notices balancing issues you are mistaken. Call of duty is more popular because it appeals more to what casual gamers want.

The average joe is what kept halo 3 alive for so long, Call of duty is more popular (not necessarily more popular but able to keep/maintain a large population) because its kept the same Core gameplay since god knows how long ago while slowly BUT gradually throwing in new variables to make the game better.

halo 4 (343) has not done this, they completely flipped the table on the second game (counting reach) without even thinking about how most of the population of core halo players would think about it.

Too many stupid changes and not listening to the community and what they want. Yeah they did a slight Boltshot nerf but the gun is still OP and there are so many other things people want and alot of the new things 343 have done are not wanted or do not work.

Anyone outside America has a tough time due to no good connection option and the optimised system not working anywhere near as good as good connection did in Reach.

Also the really low rank doesnt help. WAY too easy and quick to get too. Alot of people got SR130 & 1250gs and stoppped playing as much or all together. The ranks are just a number there shouldnt be a cap at all.

343 seems to have no idea how to keep population and how to keep them happy.
By looking at these forums people are not happy and almost nothing has been done.

I still believe in the fact that the lack of a local only search option is the cause of a decline in population somewhat. Many people try to put up with it, but eventually most just give up. I’ve barely put any time into multiplayer for this reason and a lot of videogames lose their overall population for this very reason. Even CoD is a victim to this, MW2 sparked massive controversy when it did the same thing, and they learned from this mistake (although their idea of fixing it was less then ideal).

All multiplayer problems Halo 4 has? All of it is irrelevant when a large portion of the players can’t even experience these problems first hand and get a decent idea of those problems if the game is lagging too much for them to notice.

Please discuss population in this thread. Thanks.

Lets be realistic. Bo2 is bigger not because they appealed to casuals, or listen to the community or whatever reasons everyone is giving. Bo2 has more people playing it because more people bought it, more people bought it because it’s marketed better, and also space operas don’t appeal the same way they used to, the space marine isn’t as cool anymore.

It doesn’t matter what 343 would have done with halo 4, it would still be less successful than bo2.