Poll: Spartan Ops maps to MP Forge Worlds

In another thread someone mentioned Forging on Spartan Ops maps. I’m assuming it’s the same issue as with Reach that it is too difficult to make the AI work around the extra “blocks” so that is not what I’m requesting. I am requesting that sometime after launch they be repurposed into Forge Worlds for competitive multiplayer! Depending how big the Spartan Ops maps are, either the whole map would be Forgeable or just the part of it that is most flexible (I’m sure the map designers would be able to figure that out).

Advantages to doing this:

1. New Forge World maps at a lower development cost. Obviously some effort would be required to get them compatible for multiplayer but it is far easier/cheaper than building a new environment from scratch.
  2. Increased Forge variety. Right now we know Halo 4 comes with three Forge maps Ravine (rolling hills), Impact (asteroids), and Erosion (cave). So far in Spartan Ops we have seen missions that are snowy, sandy cliffs, and volcanic. How awesome would it be to have Forge variants on these maps?!
  3. There are 50 Spartan Ops missions. FIFTY! Not sure if each has a separate map or if there is repetition, but even if we just were to get 2-3 of them think of all the extra life it would breathe into Forge and multiplayer. Halo 4 has the most gorgeous maps to date and it would be awesome to be able to play competitive on some of the Spartan Ops maps.

So, it’s a simple poll. Vote whether or not you would like Spartan Ops maps to become new Forge Worlds and if yes whether you would be willing to pay for them or not.

EDIT: I’m being told petitions are against the rules. I made sure to specifically check before posting and checked again afterwards and I’m still not seeing anything. The only potential connection I could see would be the “unsolicited idea” section but to me that sounds more like just don’t send ideas straight to 343/MS. Changed the title so it wouldn’t violate rules then. Just a simple poll!

That would be awesome if we could slice out portions of those maps and use them for MP. I wonder how hard it would be to do that? I remember someone proposed a similar idea a while back for Reach with the Firefight maps but it was never done. If it’s possible they should definitely do it.

Petitions are against the guidelines.
INB4 LOCK!

Won’t happen.

Although technically possible, you would have to download the maps all over again. As in previous halo games, a game’s map file contains the data for everything that can be spawned on that map, including NPCs

so to make the spartan ops maps playable, you’d have to download modified versions of the maps, which could easily be a 2GB download. Even then, Microsoft has to adapt each single map to work fine with multiplayer. There are graphical effects in that map which account for only 4 players, since that’s the max SpOps can have.

They’d have to test to make sure they play nice with 16 players, fix bugs, etc. It’s not worth their time.

EDIT: Oh, forgot the best part. You’d have to pay for it. People would complain they’re paying cash for maps already on their disc

A petition? I forsee a lock in this thread’s future

> Petitions are against the guidelines.
> INB4 LOCK!

I made sure to check beforehand and didn’t see anything against petitions?

And to the above. Agreed, it would be a huge download, that’s why I mentioned maybe just 2-3 maps. We honestly don’t need 50 Forge maps. I don’t even think the Forgers would know what to do with them! We already have grassy, asteroid, and cave. There really isn’t much more we need besides maybe snow, sand, and volcanic (although tbh I was totally not expecting asteroid…pleasant surprise!).

> Won’t happen.
>
> Although technically possible, you would have to download the maps all over again. As in previous halo games, a game’s map file contains the data for everything that can be spawned on that map, including NPCs
>
> so to make the spartan ops maps playable, you’d have to download modified versions of the maps, which could easily be a 2GB download. Even then, Microsoft has to adapt each single map to work fine with multiplayer. There are graphical effects in that map which account for only 4 players, since that’s the max SpOps can have.
>
> They’d have to test to make sure they play nice with 16 players, fix bugs, etc. It’s not worth their time.
>
> EDIT: Oh, forgot the best part. You’d have to pay for it. People would complain they’re paying cash for maps already on their disc

Dang.

Oh well.

Also, to respond to the performance issues of having Spartan Ops maps catered to 4 people. Good point, didn’t consider that, but I’m suggesting cutting maybe just 1/3 of the map out and putting a cliff/wall in so it looks enclosed. Part of the reason Spartan Ops would never support 16 players is the maps are just too big. Cutting them down in size considerably would likely greatly improve performance and if there are actually 50 total Spartan Ops maps (I’m tending to think this is just missions with maybe a dozen maps they can do some minor tweaks on) then it shouldn’t be too hard to find ones that are less of a drag on performance.