Pointers for a beginning Forger?

I’m just starting to toy around in Forge and am trying to actually make a halfway decent map instead of just fooling around, so I’m wondering if any of you have some useful tips or advice for a Forge newbie such as me.

Thanks in advance! =)

Set the degree for angles so its even, and also use the edit coordinates option to make smooth and even maps, sometimes it does not work so click and hold the left stick to slow down movement to get the piece into the right position. Balance the map out in someway by making bases symmetrical and spreed or add weapons/vehicles evenly across the map. Hoped it helped.

Yeah, using merely the “edit coordinates” option doesn’t always put pieces together neatly. Example, “Bunker, Round”; placed two of them at the exact same coordinates and rotated one by 180° to get the Hemorrhage-style base. Still a small gap between those two pieces. :-/

If that happens then just use slight movements of your left stick. Not everything goes together perfect when using “edit coordinates”.

Everything you need to know about good map creation is in these forging lessons. It’s a little long winded but I think it will help.

http://www.reachingperfection.com/p/forge-lessons.html

TIP: Hold the crouch button in Monitor Mode for more fine-precision movement of objects.

Start by thinking about what the player will be doing, and end that way. Everything should cater to what’s going on in your player’s head, and if it doesn’t- fix it.

> Everything you need to know about good map creation is in these forging lessons. It’s a little long winded but I think it will help.
>
> http://www.reachingperfection.com/p/forge-lessons.html

These lessons that I’ve written are theory based level design so when you start to get the hang of forge they are ways to help you perfect your skills.

Some of the most common mistakes I see beginner forgers do is use pre-fabricated buildings as what they are supposed to be. Try not to use objects in the obvious way possible. It will help your map build its own personality and help your map standout from the rest. Also avoid just stringing bridges and ramps together. Instead try flipping the bridges and ramps upside down and double them up, side by side. Wider paths are much easier to fight on. Avoid tons of narrow passage ways and widen your paths to allow people to have those great DMR strafe battles that they love.