PoA's Engine Room in The Maw

The one thing that kinda bugs me in CE is the last level, specificly the engine room. It was actually quite funny to see it in an almost unharmed condition, while the rest of the ship was basicly a chard mess!

A sugguestion for Anniversary would be to have the room have more damage, at the very least a few broken consoles and beams.

What else to you think needs changing ascetically to give the game a better feel?

PS; This might just be me, but did anyone else notice that in the E3 trailer, in the shot of 343 Guilty Spark (The Level) that it was raining? :smiley:

Yeah, I wondered about that too.

It would make sense to build the engine room in the middle of the ship to protect it as much from damage as possible. It would also make sense to build good fire proof doors in there that would lock when a fire starts. I believe this is the reason it was unharmed, there’s basically at least ten meters of titanium and lots of hallways to every direction. They probably keep the engine room safe from impacts and fire.

Makes sense when you put it that way, Good point!

Although I really love The Maw, I can’t help but think that this level is a complete mess.

I’ve just played through it yesterday during the course of my semiannual H:CE campaign replay, and there are a few things that really bug me.

1. As storminator said, the whole inside of the ship appears damaged except for the engine room.

2. The way from the air locks where you “land” the Banshee to the bridge is replicable, as is the way from the bridge to the engine room. But from then on I completely lose any sense of orientation. The engine room appears to be quite at the front of the PoA and not in the stern where the actual engines are. Why?

3. The Warthog run is what really get’s me going. It just doesn’t make any sense to me that you’re basically driving on the PoA’s upper decks. I mean, you can see the sky above you. The whole level design in that part just makes me wonder what kind of weird ship the PoA is? HUUUUGE tunnels like that make absolutely no sense, especially the ones making 180° turns. Also, if you look at the PoA from above during the cutscenes, there is absolutely nothing that even only hints at the ship looking that weird. There are no openings in the ship’s top hull at all, yet - as I said - you see the sky a few times while driving the Warthog.

Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to bash H:CE in general or The Maw specifically. Those are just a few things I never understood. :slight_smile:

> Although I really love The Maw, I can’t help but think that this level is a complete mess.
>
> I’ve just played through it yesterday during the course of my semiannual H:CE campaign replay, and there are a few things that really bug me.
>
> 1) As storminator said, the whole inside of the ship appears damaged except for the engine room.
>
> 2) The way from the air locks where you “land” the Banshee to the bridge is replicable, as is the way from the bridge to the engine room. But from then on I completely lose any sense of orientation. The engine room appears to be quite at the front of the PoA and not in the stern where the actual engines are. Why?
>
> 3) The Warthog run is what really get’s me going. It just doesn’t make any sense to me that you’re basically driving on the PoA’s upper decks. I mean, you can see the sky above you. The whole level design in that part just makes me wonder what kind of weird ship the PoA is? HUUUUGE tunnels like that make absolutely no sense, especially the ones making 180° turns. Also, if you look at the PoA from above during the cutscenes, there is absolutely nothing that even only hints at the ship looking that weird. There are no openings in the ship’s top hull at all, yet - as I said - you see the sky a few times while driving the Warthog.
>
> Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to bash H:CE in general or The Maw specifically. Those are just a few things I never understood. :slight_smile:

1. I explained it in my previous post

2. Have to blame gameplay for that, Bungie just didn’t want to make it too long. the engine room should actually be in the middle of the ship, not back.

3. This is the biggest mistake in Halo CE, probably the whole Halo trilogy too, the Warthog run is actually thrice the length of PoA and you start about seventy meters above the ship. Then you go towards a hangar that’s three kilometers from the front of the ship. Have a look for yourself. Bungie probably just wanted to make it cooler, but it would actually have made more sense to make it go towards the back of the ship or alternatively make the engine room appear at the back of the ship. Canonically there are no such structures inside (or more like over) PoA. You can blame gameplay for it.

Well lets face it, gameplay wise it doesn’t really matter, but realisticly your dead on. Now that I think about it, the Extraction point for Foehammer shouldn’t even be out in the open like that! just another thing for 343 to address in the Remake

> 3) This is the biggest mistake in Halo CE, probably the whole Halo trilogy too, the Warthog run is actually thrice the length of PoA and you start about seventy meters above the ship. Then you go towards a hangar that’s three kilometers from the front of the ship. Have a look for yourself. Bungie probably just wanted to make it cooler, but it would actually have made more sense to make it go towards the back of the ship or alternatively make the engine room appear at the back of the ship. Canonically there are no such structures inside (or more like over) PoA. You can blame gameplay for it.

I guess this is one of the rare occasions where I think that Bungie should have stopped sacrificing other things for gameplay. While I do enjoy the Warthog run, every single time I have that odd feeling that I should have popped out of the PoA at several points. And that just leaves a strange and slightly bitter taste in my mouth.

In my opinion, it would have been much more reasonable (and maybe even more fun) to have the player rush to the Longsword launch bay on foot. It could have been like an easy “mini platformer” where you have to jump across gaps in the floor, down a service shaft, climb up a ladder, and so on, all the while with the clock ticking and not staying in one place to long because of the Flood and Covies.

Ah, well. That’s all water under the bridge now. At least now I know why my otherwise pretty good sense of direction goes haywire in that level. XD

The engines are located at aft of the PoA. The engine room, which powers both the engines and MAC, would be located as close to the 2 of them as possible. That would mean the engine room is also located in the aft of the PoA. Its best location would be safely on the X-Y convergence of the ship, between the engines and MAC. No ship designer would created a need for all that power to be generated at the bow of a ship just to be transferred to the aft and then used… Powerwire is as short as possible. Control wire can be whatever length is needed to ensure the powerwire remains short.

Where foehammer chose to pick up the Chief makes the most sense as a Pelican does not maneuver well and so for a quick pick-up, lots of open area is needed. However, the best bet would have been to have foehammer meet the Chief in the hangar bay instead of picking him up.

Gameplay wise, very little makes sense in how the ship is constructed. The 3km trek across a 1.17 km deck is obviously a fault.
The giant gap in the middle of ship… who designs a gap like that in a ship?
The engine room is situated near the outer hulls AND at the belly of the ship’ s bow.
Oh and along that exaggerated final run, what kind of military architect would design a service-way with all of those winding corridors that connect to open rooms filled with structures that prevent expediated travels? Soooo not “proper.” :wink:
Oh and who puts a mess hall directly beside the main bridge? I never once saw a convenient head, only convenient eating areas :slight_smile:

As for the engine room not being all yoinked! up. There is a reason the main armoury is situated beside the engine room, it is the most secured and damage resistant area in the ship. (Too bad the Spartan weapon locker was so close to the outerhulls). Yes the armoury shows more damage than the engine room, but that’s relatively speaking.
The weapon lockers aren’t meant to be tough, the rooms that house them are. So the lockers and bulkheads are damaged (for whatever reason) while the actual “shell” that contains both the armoury and engine room is very much intact.
The engine room itself, it shows damage, just not extreme damage like the rest of the ship as it is constructed of materials meant to be resistant to high temperatures and stress levels in the first place.

I wonder if Halo: CEA will have the same issues in the Warthog run and related issues? Something tells me that they won’t be filling in any gaps in the hull on the Warthog run…

> I wonder if Halo: CEA will have the same issues in the Warthog run and related issues? Something tells me that they won’t be filling in any gaps in the hull on the Warthog run…

I’m pretty sure it’ll be exactly like in H:CE just with nicer and shinier graphics. After all, you can’t really fix “that great gap” because that’s where Forehammer and the two Banshees fly through.

Thank you all for your walls of text and wealth of informiation! I’m glad I actually got a good discussion going.

Now I’m going to post this on B.nets Halo: CE Fourm and see what kind of responses I get.

Most people had this discussion years ago >_<

CEA won’t change a thing except a layer of graphics over the same models.

Also, credit were it’s due: that image of the maw run coming out the front of POA’s model is from Stephen Loftus’ article on HBO.

The Engine Room was probably somewhere deep in the core of the ship, where it was protected from the weapon bombardments during the battle over Halo. It’s also possible Cortana was specifically preserving the Engine Room from Covnenant Attacks because it is the most important room on the ship, completely necessary to move.

As for the Warthog Run, it’s not the only thing that was never scaled/built properly. Remember the mission Uprising from Halo 2? At the beginning of the level you can see the Delta Halo Control Room, look top/down at the level and where you end the mission (Again being able to see said control room), the control room magically moved about a Kilometer away and is facing a different direction at a 45 degree angle.

It is common sense really, thanks for the input.

Oh, and my PS was reduntant. Been playing CE today and there’s rain in the original level! >_<
Odd, cos I thought the original engine couldn’t simulate weather

It’s snows when it says “Final Run.” :slight_smile:

The engine room is so far into the ship it wasn’t affected as much by the impact. It makes sense.

Halo 3 had weather, yet they kept advertising it as impossible until Reach came out. Guess they didn’t realize Halo CE, 2, and 3 all had snow.