Plot point or plot hole?

I’m assuming the object Master Chief is holding at this point in the Halo: Xbone trailer is Cortana’s data chip, but wasn’t it disintegrated near the end of Halo 4?

Where’d John get the new chip?

I think some aspects of the trailer are meant to be taken more metaphorically. The chip could possibly mean Master Chief can’t let go of Cortana after her death.

I think the chip is more metaphorical than literal, and we also know that trailers are almost never canon.

Clearly the chip, and the degraded armor show that the Master Chief isn’t the same without Cortana… And the Cloak is symbolic to how he always masks his emotions - Even when a true and terrifying threat is about to emerge:

Giant Forerunner Machine rises out of the sand…

AI’s can be stored in any chip, like how you can move data from usb to computer

> AI’s can be stored in any chip, like how you can move data from usb to computer

But the Particular chip that stored Cortana was destroyed… The Master Chief wouldn’t just carry around a random chip with him.

> > AI’s can be stored in any chip, like how you can move data from usb to computer
>
> But the Particular chip that stored Cortana was destroyed… The Master Chief wouldn’t just carry around a random chip with him.

It may remind him of her in some way, or it may be a Cortana model. Either way, for the sake of the trailer it’s likely a metaphor.

There have always been two chips. The big one that Captain Keyes first gave him that can fit in his palm, and a bite-sized one we see constantly in Halo 3 (and the one he puts into all the terminals in Halo 4). Also, in Halo 3 after Johnson’s death, we see the palm-sized chip - On Sierra 117 we see the bite-sized chip.

Chief has the palm-sized chip still with him.

> > AI’s can be stored in any chip, like how you can move data from usb to computer
>
> But the Particular chip that stored Cortana was destroyed… The Master Chief wouldn’t just carry around a random chip with him.

Depends, what if he’s not looking for Cortana? What if he’s looking for, what many theorize, 05-032 Mendicant Bias? What if he’s thinking he can persuade Mendicant to join with him and that part of Mendicant can go into the chip?

> Depends, what if he’s not looking for Cortana? What if he’s looking for, what many theorize, 05-032 Mendicant Bias? What if he’s thinking he can persuade Mendicant to join with him and that part of Mendicant can go into the chip?

Or he could be looking for both.

> > Depends, what if he’s not looking for Cortana? What if he’s looking for, what many theorize, 05-032 Mendicant Bias? What if he’s thinking he can persuade Mendicant to join with him and that part of Mendicant can go into the chip?
>
> Or he could be looking for both.

Most likely

I want to know why he even needs the chip to make Cortana interface with stuff, in Halo 2 he didn’t need to

> > > Depends, what if he’s not looking for Cortana? What if he’s looking for, what many theorize, 05-032 Mendicant Bias? What if he’s thinking he can persuade Mendicant to join with him and that part of Mendicant can go into the chip?
> >
> > Or he could be looking for both.
>
> Most likely

Metastability… 05-032 Mendicant Bias was the only AI known to have reached metastability, and 05-032 is thought to have been the one that sent MC to Requiem.

> > > > Depends, what if he’s not looking for Cortana? What if he’s looking for, what many theorize, 05-032 Mendicant Bias? What if he’s thinking he can persuade Mendicant to join with him and that part of Mendicant can go into the chip?
> > >
> > > Or he could be looking for both.
> >
> > Most likely
>
> Metastability… 05-032 Mendicant Bias was the only AI known to have reached metastability, and 05-032 is thought to have been the one that sent MC to Requiem.

Judging Cortana has a line when you approach a terminal in Halo 3, I’d say Chief finding them is canon, so Chief is well aware of Mendicants existence, maybe Chief indirectly holds Mendicant Bias as a reason for Cortanas death

> I think the chip is more metaphorical than literal, and we also know that trailers are almost never canon.
>
> Clearly the chip, and the degraded armor show that the Master Chief isn’t the same without Cortana… And the Cloak is symbolic to how he always masks his emotions - Even when a true and terrifying threat is about to emerge:
>
> Giant Forerunner Machine rises out of the sand…

Except that, while the cloak could still be used as a metaphor for the Chief’s emotional detachment, it’s been confirmed by Frankie on NeoGaf that John is deliberately using the cloak to mask his appearance. From whom or what we don’t know yet, but I think it’s fairly safe to assume that, if the cloak is more than a metaphor, the chip probably is as well.

The trailer really doesn’t give us a frame of time that we could safely assume how far along this moment takes place after the events of Halo 4.

Thus, this leaves a wide range of possibilities as to the origin and purpose of the chip.

Teasers are teasers. This may not be the actual events of the game, like the Halo 4 announcement trailer. They just give a vague idea of what the game will be about, and make sure that we are asking questions.

Her chip was probably symbolic, and not really intended to have that sort of contradiction to Halo 4’s ending. Also, Cortana has only one chip; Master chief was able to transmit Cortana without her chip in Halo 2 because he had her chip in his Neural Interface. That was a new feature with Mark VI.

> Except that, while the cloak could still be used as a metaphor for the Chief’s emotional detachment, it’s been confirmed by Frankie on NeoGaf that John is deliberately using the cloak to mask his appearance. From whom or what we don’t know yet, but I think it’s fairly safe to assume that, if the cloak is more than a metaphor, the chip probably is as well.

Think about how he got to the Ark anyway. Wouldn’t he need a keyship to activate the portal in the first place? Maybe he’s hiding from whoever got him there. The trailer indicated that he had gone rogue, judging by the cracks in his armor, it was probably a struggle.

That brings up another question! I don’t think Truth’s keyship ever left the Ark, so how did they activate the Portal? Even if they used slipspace, it would cause a huge slipspace debt to travel there. Maybe he got there on the Rubicon.