Please remove incoming power weapons announcer!

I have logged over 90 games in the Halo 5 Beta and thoroughly enjoyed it! It is definitely an adjustment after playing Halo Reach and Halo 4, but that is primarily a good thing.

Overall, I like the competitive emphasis that is already built into Halo 5. While there are many aspects of the game that I like, there are still a few that I don’t. However, one of them seems contrary to the newly revived competitive emphasis that Halo 5 embodies: the in-game announcer telling us how soon the power weapons (rockets, sniper, etc.) will spawn. Is it helpful? Yes, absolutely… but the problem is that it’s helpful to every player on both teams. Even players who are relatively inexperienced are reminded to migrate towards to power weapons spawn points to battle it out.

In previous iterations of the game, one of the things that differentiated the experienced & effective teams from the rest of the pack was that they knew the timing of the power weapons respawns and acted accordingly. Having the in-game announcer providing constant reminders about when the power weapons will appear essentially eliminates that competitive edge and serves as a “crutch” for the teams that don’t have the presence of mind to watch the clock to plan the appropriate strategies.

Tl;dr… the in-game announcer provides reminders about the power weapons respawn timing, and that eliminates a competitive edge that the smarter teams have possessed for many years. Please eliminate those reminders.

You nailed that explanation. I’ve been thinking this the entire beta. Announcing power spawns is ridiculous, idk who thought that was a good idea. Just another example of the shrinking skill gap in halo.

Idk I’m kinda for it.

From a competitive pov I say remove it

From a balanced and equal parts view I say keep it

yeah, because its soooo skillful to find out the timer on the spawns and use a stopwatch, its just a silly inconvenience, i know it makes you feel special when you the know the timers and other people don’t…but you aren’t…its just most people don’t give a -Yoink-

I like it actually, it forces players to move to a new location. I think it’s fun to see which team can set up shop and defend their position so they can get the weapon instantly.

People would just camp where the power weapons spawned, I did it all the time too. So I rather have the time indecators/anouncements so everyone can have a fair chance :slight_smile:

You are wrong.i

“in previous iterations of the game, one of the things that differentiated the experienced & effective teams from the rest of the pack was that they knew the timing of the power weapons respawns and acted accordingly.”

If you watch Ogre 2, the greatest Halo CE player, play Halo CE, you can hear a voice in the background going (5, 4, 3, 2, 1) for every power up/power weapon. He uses timers. All experienced players used timers.

In Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo 4, Halo 2A, all the pro teams use “coaches” to time weapons.

Now instead of getting a timer, or hiring a fifth player, it is built into the game.

Your argument that skilled players timed the weapons is WRONG. They either use an extra person to time the weapons, or they use an app/stopwatch.

Are you “pro” players mad that people actually put up a fight for power weapons now? Oh boo hoo, we took away your advantage of meticulously counting the seconds to weapon respawns like an -Yoink!- person. As you people tend to say, #getbetter.

#I will not buy Halo 5
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/i-will-not-buy-halo-5/b414827f-3aaa-4d41-bc6e-a756dd99e717/posts

> 2535445390271381;9:
> #I will not buy Halo 5
> https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/i-will-not-buy-halo-5/b414827f-3aaa-4d41-bc6e-a756dd99e717/posts

Please at least use a hashtag right, its #iwillnotbuyhalo5 you can’t have spaces in a hashtag. smh.

OT - Knowing the weapons spawns is not skillfull, like people above have said, most keen players have timers. It’s like with jungle timers in LoL which they added because it just gave people who didn’t a timer a disadvantage.

People shouldn’t be able to get an advantage through something out of the game.

> 2533274825499812;7:
> Your argument that skilled players timed the weapons is WRONG. They either use an extra person to time the weapons, or they use an app/stopwatch.

Just because the top-tier pros utilized a coach during their tournament matches doesn’t change the fact that they can still time the weapons respawn themselves. I have watched enough of them during their Twitch streams to see that they have the timing memorized. I am an exceedingly mediocre player, but keeping track of the timing regarding the sniper on Ragnarok or the Over-shield on Adrift wasn’t that difficult.

As I said before, it’s providing a “crutch” for the teams that don’t have the presence of mind to watch the clock to plan the appropriate strategies.

> 2542657289632179;1:
> Tl;dr… the in-game announcer provides reminders about the power weapons respawn timing, and that eliminates a competitive edge that the smarter teams have possessed for many years. Please eliminate those reminders.

I agree! I’m not very good at Halo, but I love the game. Using good strategy is one of the few things that I do reasonably well, and that includes timing when the weapons respawn. If you provide everybody with a verbal reminder, you are spoon-feeding them! If they don’t know when the rockets respawn, that’s not my fault. We shouldn’t dummy-it-down for them.

> 2542657289632179;1:
> Tl;dr… the in-game announcer provides reminders about the power weapons respawn timing, and that eliminates a competitive edge that the smarter teams have possessed for many years. Please eliminate those reminders.

Well said; 100% agreed

> I agree! I’m not very good at Halo, but I love the game. Using good strategy is one of the few things that I do reasonably well, and that includes timing when the weapons respawn. If you provide everybody with a verbal reminder, you are spoon-feeding them! If they don’t know when the rockets respawn, that’s not my fault. We shouldn’t dummy-it-down for them.

Exactly. To be honest, I am quite surprised that more players haven’t expressed their concerns about this. If we are trying to get back to emphasizing the most competitive aspects of 4v4 Halo games, there probably shouldn’t be an announcer who provides a built-in handicap for some players.

Yeah i agree OP, and Im not usually one for compromise in Halo. It ends up with features nobody truly likes; just kinda settled for. But idk a compromise I think could maybe work is an alert saying “Power Weapons have spawned!” Right when they are up; that way any team who properly sets up for power weapons is going to get them and Ha in a way itd be nice if you time the rockets; people will be coming right to ya! (But yeah in a perfect halo; no announcer)

I like it. I think it gives lots of new players some focus during the game. The majority of online players are casual and won’t realise why they are being bettered by the opposition. For absolutely competitive game modes, I can see it being switched off, for general player and for the greater good, I think it’s one of the best ideas in Halo for a while.

The games in Halo 5 are all VERY frantic. Much more so than previous Halo games, and that’s all well and good as far as I’m concerned. This new pace keeps every game extremely interesting.

> 2533274795072109;16:
> I like it. I think it gives lots of new players some focus during the game. The majority of online players are casual and won’t realise why they are being bettered by the opposition. For absolutely competitive game modes, I can see it being switched off…

I could actually live with this. Throughout the last few years, I have been an advocate of maintaining both a ranked and a social Team Slayer playlist: the ranked variety would prohibit split-screen guests, have visible in-game ranks, and eliminate -Yoink!- like the in-game announcer’s reminders about the power weapons. The Social Slayer playlist would allow split-screen guests, avoid visible in-game ranks, and could include the in-game announcer’s reminders about the power weapons.

The bottom line is that for a serious competitve matchmaking playlist, it should not have the in-game announcer’s reminders about the power weapons.

Honestly, I think it really is time to revisit this topic.

Now that we have the potential of have 4v4 or 5v5 social playlists, I truly believe that 343i should remove the power weapons announcer in the ranked Arena playlists. Keep him in the more casual social playlists, but someone else already said it best: “If you provide everybody with a verbal reminder, you are spoon-feeding them! If they don’t know when the rockets respawn, that’s not my fault. We shouldn’t dummy-it-down for them.”

Honestly, in my opinion, wouldn’t be so annoyed by it if it wasn’t voiced by generic soldier generic man.

If the actual Halo announcer said when the power weapons would be up, it would be a lot more bearable and interesting.

Honestly, I never even want to go anywhere near a weapon spawn ever since they started announcing them. It just turns into a useless and annoying circle jerk over the weapon, on top of a cluster -Yoink- of grenade spam.

P.S. It also indirectly reveals your location when you pick it up, which I think is a big no-no.