Please nerf grenades in Halo 4....

I’m sick and tired of how much of a spam fest Halo has become thanks to grenades…at least in Halo 3 they could be used some what tactically, but in Halo: Reach everyones friggin’ reaction when they find someone is “THROW GRENADES !!!”…are you serious !? either limit the grenade count to 1 or nerf them to how they were in Halo 3.

…ohh you mean those miniature nukes?

yeah, they should be nerfed

it’s BS that a Spartan SUPER-SOLDIER can die from a small frag grenade that was 10 feet away from him…

I don’t mind the grenade explosion – if you played the Beta you would of cried with how strong they are! haha

Although I believe in a – spawn with 1 grenade, and they should be rarer on the maps to pick up.

They do the same damage in H3, or atleast that’s what i’ve heard. I think the reason they appear to be more dangerous is because of the slow movement speed and jump height, so you can’t escape very easily from the blast radius.

Frag.
Point blank impact - 95% Shield loss.

Plasma.
Point blank impact - KIA.

@Drunk Moose
Yes, I remember how terribly strong they were in the beta…I remember…

@Dragondude80
there is no way that they’re as strong as they were in Halo 3, in Halo 3 the blast radius was MUCH smaller, and 1 grenade took your shields a little bit below half, I was just playing 3 the other day, but now in Reach a single grenade has the ability to not only take out your shields, but if you have full shields and 3 health bars it will KILL you…now thats just -Yoink- if you ask me.

i agree op. If people watched the recent MLG event, that was the best example of that.

the radius is to big… Plasmas are fine but fix the frags for h4… thats my biggest problem with reach

I think a grenade at point blank range should take out your shields and a LITTLE bit of health, but not kill you, like in Reach.

Also MUCH smaller radius.

> there is no way that they’re as strong as they were in Halo 3

Turns out, they were exactly as damaging as the Halo3 variants in the Beta and where actually toned down by 1 health bar for the final release.

> , in Halo 3 the blast radius was MUCH smaller,

I don’t know about MUCH, but it is smaller, about 70%-80% of Reach’s distance. Of course I have no hard data on this one, so it is possible to be more.

> and 1 grenade took your shields a little bit below half,

Untrue, 1 frag and 2 bodyshots from a BR or 4 shots from an AR equals death.

> I was just playing 3 the other day, but now in Reach a single grenade has the ability to not only take out your shields, but if you have full shields and 3 health bars it will KILL you…now thats just -Yoink!- if you ask me.

Yes if you have red-bar health and are bodyshot by a sniper or in the epicentre of a frag, you are dead.
AND it turns out that if you impact a frag on a player with enough force, it’s a single frag to kill if the enemy remains on the epicentre. One can do this by using Sprint, Evade, an explosion, free-fall speed from enough height and even being a passenger in a vehicle.

> I’m sick and tired of how much of a spam fest Halo has become thanks to grenades

Forgot this, what games have you been playing that you’ve had so many grenades? One team has to not be using their 'nades before dying so that the other can have so many to find.
Starting with 1 grenade in almost every single gametype, with only a few 'nade caches in every map, I haven’t the foggiest as to what you mean by a spamfest of 'nades.

There are two ways that grenades have been done in Halo games:

1. The area denial tool.
  2. The “gun supplement” weapon.

The former was in CE, where grenades had massive damage and explosive radii, but a very long fuse time. This meant that grenades weren’t chucked at an enemy the instant you see them in hopes of draining their shields. Instead, they were used tactically to deny access to an area for a short time (entering the radius of a live grenade generally meant you were unable to escape its explosion; solution, don’t go near the grenade). The result was grenades being used tactically to limit the opponent’s options and to punish them for not respecting those limitations. It was balanced by the fast kill times that CE had. If two players see each other at the same time and one throws a grenade and the other starts shooting, the shooter will win, provided their aim isn’t garbage.

The latter was in Halo 2 and 3, where the fast detonation times, small blast radius, and low damage (compared to CE’s grenades) meant that they were far more often used to drain an enemy’s shields so you could finish them with a quick headshot. The tactical application still existed to a lesser extent, but unfortunately it degraded into more of a situation where players would throw grenades when entering combat in the hopes of hitting someone for an easy kill rather than throwing them in anticipation of where an enemy is likely to go to deny them access to that area.

Reach was neither of the two (fitting, as it is not a Halo game), but instead a combination. You had the fast fuses of 2/3’s grenades, designed to allow players to chuck them willy-nilly at the first site of an enemy, with CE’s damage and explosive radius, making them miniature Hiroshima spheres that take virtually no thought or foresight to use effectively.

Thank you!!! we need halo 3 grenades back. I’m tired of 5 shoting noobs only for them to drop a frag just before they die and the blast radius blowing me to bits.

you provide a very good argument…but how the hell can you say “Reach is not a Halo game” when clearly it is. You do know that Halo games are going to feed off of what bungie made reach to be right ?, they’re not going to down grade a halo game and take everything out cause bungie screwed up, they’re going to add on and TRY to make it batter…but yes. grenades suck.

What needs to happen is grenades becoming avoidable. We need higher movement speeds and jump heights. I think these two have already been confirmed based on some of the gameplay we saw.

They also need longer fuses, and need to do less damage. They’re ridiculous in Reach.

CE frags have a 1 second fuse time and stickies have a 3 second fuse time.

Stickies are very consistent in their arm times because they don’t bounce much and they arm the moment they stick.

Frags on the other hand do not activate their fuse till the frag stops bouncing. This leads to frags feeling like they have 2 second or more fuse times, but what’s really happening is they aren’t arming off the first bounce off an enemy or ground piece.

Another one of these?

Okay maybe they will listen. But i dont mind the grenades at all.

I try and tell you people. Don’t blame the grenades(or melee) blame the HEALTH. It is the pitiful HEALTH that has been draggin down every Halo game from H2 onward.

In Halo 2-Reach HEALTH has been close to HALF the hitpoints compared to shields. So ANY damage you take to your shields has a FAR greater impact on you than it SHOULD.

For Illustration…
H2, 3, Reach
Health 45HP Shield 70HP THIS IS limited

CE
Health 75HP Shield 75HP SIMPLE AND BALANCED

THIS SHOULD BE FIXED FOR HALO 4

More balanced grenades
More Balanced melee
More Balanced weapon sandbox.

Ack, good input :slight_smile:
Though I do believe it was 100-100 for CE, either way it is a 50-50 split no matter the actual values and your points still stand.

> Ack, good input :slight_smile:
> Though I do believe it was 100-100 for CE, either way it is a 50-50 split no matter the actual values and your points still stand.

Exactly. Thank you thank you thank you

I’m fine with the amount of damage they deal (after all, they are explosives), it’s the blast radius that feels a bit much. Plasma grenades feel fine, but frags feel like mini-nukes.

With the possibility of a third type of grenade being introduced, it is obvious that they are looking at them and seeing what could be fixed.