Please make Halo 4 UNIQUE.

I’ve been reading forums for days ever since I left B.net. And so far, I’ve been reading almost the same thing like:
No bloom
No AA’s
Bring the BR back
Etc.
Basically what I’ve been reading (IMO) was to make Halo 4 like Halo 3.5.
I want Halo 4 to be a unique experience that sets it apart than the last trilogy. In my opinion (and PLEASE don’t troll me), Halo: Reach is an example. Bungie took advantage of the Spartan III’s being weaker than Spartan II’s (like not jumping high) and bringing Reach to the table to bring something fresh to the formula like the AA’s, the bloom, the weapons, etc. Those ideas were the reason that brought me back to play Halo again. Because to me the formula was getting tiresome.

That’s what I want for the next game. This doesn’t mean that I want AA’s to come back. Remember, Reach’s arsenal was completely destroyed during the invasion so I doubt that they’ll be returning. 343 needs to make their mark too. Not recycle the same formula. Think about it, it is the 10th anniversary of Halo. Halo 4 should be more than what Halo is now. So I hope that 343 brings something new to the Halo formula that will keep Halo “The game that revolutionized modern shooters on consoles”.

Please reply with respect and don’t troll.
EDIT: This doesn’t mean I want an entire overhaul on Halo. I do want Halo 4 to have the core game-play we all know and love for the past decade, but I want Halo 4 to be unique in a way that sets it apart from the previous games.

343’s got a zillion employees who’ve never worked on a Halo game. And Halo 4 is Halo for a new era. With those in mind, I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw a Halo that was quite different from the past ones- even Reach. Personally, I agree with you, OP. I want something new; after 10 years, the Halo formula is getting old. But I don’t want the game to be unrecognizable.

I understand it’s tough to toe the line, but the perfect Halo 4 would be refreshingly new while still instantly being recognizable as a Halo game.

> 343’s got a zillion employees who’ve never worked on a Halo game. And Halo 4 is Halo for a new era. With those in mind, I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw a Halo that was quite different from the past ones- even Reach. Personally, I agree with you, OP. I want something new; after 10 years, the Halo formula is getting old. But I don’t want the game to be unrecognizable.
>
> I understand it’s tough to toe the line, but the perfect Halo 4 would be refreshingly new while still instantly being recognizable as a Halo game.

I agree. I wasn’t implying that Halo should have a overhaul. I just want something new to the formula that sets it apart from the last decade, but that in it’s core it feels like the game that we all know and love for 10 years.

Come on now, there’s got to be a dissenting voice somewhere in here… No? well, i’ll stand in for one then:

OMG Y U N0 LIK3 4RM0R L4WK C0M3 0N U GUY5!!!11!!!

seriously, I agree with you on this one. Halo needs a bit of a makeover, and now seems a great time to give it one.

I agree. I don’t want it too unique though. I would like if there was a suggestions email to 343i and I would love them all to sit down and think of new game types and game modes like firefight and forge were the greatest things in my opinion. Something great like those.

Unique… Unique… Unique for a Halo like adding in Armor Abilities, Loadouts, and other customizations? I think they tried that and the reception from some was less than welcome.

I, on the other hand, loved the implementations. So if they can do something drastic and take risks like Bungie did with Reach then it’ll work just fine.

A lot of times i think they just would rather have Halo 3.5 than Halo Reach.5. I, too want a refreshing game but Reach did not do a very good job of it in the end.

AA’s and bloom didn’t make Reach great, i’ll rather prefer them to not touch the core gameplay too much!

> Unique… Unique… Unique for a Halo like adding in Armor Abilities, Loadouts, and other customizations? I think they tried that and the reception from some was less than welcome.
>
> I, on the other hand, loved the implementations. So if they can do something drastic and take risks like Bungie did with Reach then it’ll work just fine.

They definitely did, but I think what a lot of people are looking for (myself included) is for them to take those sorts of ideas, and push them further, add more, and overall make it a Halo game like we’ve never seen (inb4 “obviously you’ve never seen it, it’s not out yet”)

> > Unique… Unique… Unique for a Halo like adding in Armor Abilities, Loadouts, and other customizations? I think they tried that and the reception from some was less than welcome.
> >
> > I, on the other hand, loved the implementations. So if they can do something drastic and take risks like Bungie did with Reach then it’ll work just fine.
>
> They definitely did, but I think what a lot of people are looking for (myself included) is for them to take those sorts of ideas, and push them further, add more, and overall make it a Halo game like we’ve never seen (inb4 “obviously you’ve never seen it, it’s not out yet”)

Yea, I too hope that they’ll keep pushing the envelope. Not everything will work out, but I applaud them for trying. Do I care for armor abilities - meh. But they brought a new something to the game for me. It took some serious fortitude for them to risk something like this.

By the time 4 rolls out, I’d love to see something that shakes the very core of gameplay aesthetics in the same way as Amor Abilities did. Hopefully it will work out and be a favorite amongst all fans.

I just want a new engine. The current one is nearly 10 years old, and it’s starting to show it’s age now.

> I just want a new engine. The current one is nearly 10 years old, and it’s starting to show it’s age now.

Well I don’t know if that will happen since Bungie rebuild the engine when they were making Reach. So who knows, 343 could be using it or working on a new one.

> > I just want a new engine. The current one is nearly 10 years old, and it’s starting to show it’s age now.
>
> Well I don’t know if that will happen since Bungie rebuild the engine when they were making Reach. So who knows, 343 could be using it or working on a new one.

The way I see it, the more a designer keeps using the same engine, the more restricted they are to the limits of that engine. There are only so many times you can push the limits to a game engine, and I think Reach was that limit. You still had some flaws such as being unable to add anything new to the current maps such as Forge items, which would have made being on different Forge World maps a little more tolerable.

Each game does need to add new things to the same old formula to keep things fresh. The problem is with Reach is that Bungie took a big leap with AA’s and bloom. Honestly I don’t care if AA’s stay or go, as long as sprint at least remains. Bloom on the other hand, is a tad bothersome, but I’ve adapted and learned how to use it.

What I’m saying is, we do need that same old formula. It’s what makes Halo… Halo. But we do need fresh new features, just not in big leaps like Reach was. 343 shouldn’t backtrack and please all the people that are saying they should make it similar to Halo 2 or 3, but we do need to move forward in a way that isn’t as drastic as Reach.

As far as I’m concerned, bloom caused the biggest uprising of fans in any of the Halo games. It’s just hard to find that little niche where you can change things, but change the right things to make it a good change. I just hope 343 can find the perfect way to do it.

Halo was already unique with Halo Ce+Halo 2, it was turned into a generic FPS with Halo 3+ and especially Reach.

Going back to a Halo Ce like Halo game with innovations would be making it unique again.

If it takes the Halo 2/3 formula and innovates in a way that makes the game more fun from there, I’d love it. I don’t want a complete rehash of Halo 2/3 for Halo 4 either, but I also don’t want a game like Reach (bloom, AA’s, and the like killed Reach’s experience for me IMO, and I’d hate for Halo 4 to turn out like that).

> Halo was already unique with Halo Ce+Halo 2, it was turned into a generic FPS with Halo 3+ and especially Reach.
>
> Going back to a Halo Ce like Halo game would be making it unique again.

I have to disagree with that. "[…] it is the 10th anniversary of Halo. Halo 4 should be more than what Halo is now"****.

If people were to play Halo 4, they’ll notice that it is the same game as the previous ones. And they’ll be asking: “Why did 343i spend 3 years on making it if its the same game?”.
Halo 4 needs to be different. And 343 has to make a name for themselves instead of using a 10 year old formula. They are already working on Halo CEA in commemoration of 10 years of Halo. Is time to add something new to the old formula, but of course not to completely ruin the core game-play we known for the past decade.

Reach was made to be unique, and look how that turned out.

See, the thing is that people aren’t tired at all of the CE/H2/H3 gameplay, because it’s just that good.

> If it takes the Halo 2/3 formula and innovates in a way that makes the game more fun from there, I’d love it. I don’t want a complete rehash of Halo 2/3 for Halo 4 either, but I also don’t want a game like Reach (bloom, AA’s, and the like killed Reach’s experience for me IMO, and I’d hate for Halo 4 to turn out like that).

I agree. But don’t worry. I’m sure that Armor Abilities won’t be in the game.

As long as they are NOT AAs, Bloom, a DMR, or anything that has to do with Reach and it supports the Halo 1/2/3 formula and Competitive Play then Im okay with it