Please Keep This Halo 4 Feature:

I absolutely love seeing the edges of Chief’s helmet in the HUD. Please keep that. Make a sweet one for Locke, too. It’ll make me happy.

> I absolutely love seeing the edges of Chief’s helmet in the HUD. Please keep that. Make a sweet one for Locke, too. It’ll make me happy.

Nope stupid fluff…GIMMICK! Too much like H4! No

That definitely conveys the fact that you are actually within a suit with a subsequent visor.
No harm in that.

I’d like for it to stay, though I wouldn’t mind if it wasn’t in H5G

I agree. Sometimes it’s the little things that immerse you.

I loved feeling a part of the MJOLNIR suit.

One that is superficially based on a Mark IV, lol.

MJOLNIR Appreciation Day.

I wouldn’t mind seeing that return in 5. It was a cool design for the Chief’s helmet and there wouldn’t be any harm or Halo 4 horrifying memories to it. I say bring it back.

It’d be cool if we could change the “theme” of our HUD VISR pertaining to variants. :slight_smile:

> It’d be cool if we could change the “theme” of our HUD VISR pertaining to variants. :slight_smile:

So much yes!

I’m slightly annoyed by the fact that it shows a real lack of understanding of the human vision. In the real world, your eyes filter out everything that’s constantly in the vision. For the same reason that you don’t see your nose, Master Chief wouldn’t see the edges of his helmet.

That said, in the end of the day, I don’t really care whether it’s there or not, as long as it’s only in campaign as in Halo 4. But I’d rather not have it at all because I prefer a very clean and simplistic HUD, and I even find it somewhat unimmersive.

If I got to choose, I’d take the HUD aesthetic of Halo Reach. Bungie really nailed the GUI aesthetic in that game all the way from the menus to the HUD.

> I’m slightly annoyed by the fact that it shows a real lack of understanding of the human vision. In the real world, your eyes filter out everything that’s constantly in the vision. For the same reason that you don’t see your nose, Master Chief wouldn’t see the edges of his helmet.

I wear an old scally cap a lot and I can constantly see the brim, though it’s not in focus. I guess that’s similar to the edges projecting from the top of his helmet. I guess they could make the helmet look out of focus, but as soon as you, the player, look directly at it and it remains out of focus, it wouldn’t make any sense.

Keeping the helmet pieces there and in focus all the time works because of how our eyes work. When I’m playing the game, I’m not seeing the helmet pieces in full focus and detail unless I look directly at them, like the bill of my hat or even my nose.

Our eyes switching from observing the HUD elements to a distant enemy on a TV would still work just like his whether he’s looking at or through the visor.

Even though the helmet pieces are in focus on the screen, when we are looking at the reticle, we don’t perceive them as in focus, it’s like with our hats and noses; it’s only when we glance at it that we realize it’s there. So it works.

Of course, I have a double-astigmatism, so I may not be the best authority on depth-perception.

Guardians should have the next evolution in customization. HUD tint that is relative to Visor color and having different HUD shapes for various helmets. It may sound like a small thing to some, even 343, but it would mean a lot.

I think it’s time we branch out of wearing the exact same default HUD.

> > I’m slightly annoyed by the fact that it shows a real lack of understanding of the human vision. In the real world, your eyes filter out everything that’s constantly in the vision. For the same reason that you don’t see your nose, Master Chief wouldn’t see the edges of his helmet.
>
> I wear an old scally cap a lot and I can constantly see the brim, though it’s not in focus. I guess that’s similar to the edges projecting from the top of his helmet. I guess they could make the helmet look out of focus, but as soon as you, the player, look directly at it and it remains out of focus, it still wouldn’t make any sense.
>
> Of course, that said, if Chief were looking through the visor like a window, he would constantly be having to shift his focus from HUD elements to an enemy. If he were looking at an Elite 20 meters away, his motion tracker and the rest of the HUD would be completely out of focus and vice versa. Which is why I think his visor works more as a screen, like our TVs do, and that is why he can see the HUD elements and enemies simultaneously on the same visual plane.
>
> If that’s the case, if the visor works likes some sort of camera that has multi-layer focus on anything foreground and background (that would explain the ability to zoom), there would be pieces of helmet shown and they would be in focus.
> Although, if that were the case, his depth-perception would be awful.

When I wear my sun glasses, there’s a clearly visible area below my eyes where the glasses don’t cover my eyes. However, as soon as I concentrate on anything other than the glasses, I can’t really say that I perceive anything different there. I’m not saying that you can’t see things that are close to the border of your vision, but the less the object blocks your vision, the more difficult it is to actually perceive it.

This is difficult to project on the HUD in an FPS. If we were to take the first person view, as it appears in Halo 4 at face value, not only would Master Chief have a field of view below 90 degrees, but the visor would also be smaller than it appears in media. That’s why I’d prefer not to attach too much of being inside the helmet to the visuals. That might seem real nitpicky, but I can’t see it being more helpful than awkward.

As for how the visor works, it’s been heavily implied in the Halo media (at least pre-343i media, I’m a bit out of touch with the latest stuff), that the visor is indeed transparent. Which makes sense, because with cameras a visor would be pointless, and the 2D visuals would mess with depth perception. But cameras or transparent materials, neither can really explain the visual portrayal in the game, because the in-game view is limited and can’t portray anything accurately.

In the end of the day, this is clearly a matter of preference. While I know perfectly well why this is not a realistic portrayal in any way or form, I can’t really convince anyone that it’s not immersive, because they are free to get immersed however they want as long as it doesn’t severely interfere with the experience of other people.

This feature has been around in every Halo game since Halo 3. Even ODST had it. I doubt 343i would downgrade that aspect of the game, especially considering that they’ve already included it in Halo 4 and H2A’s MM.

> This feature has been around in every Halo game since Halo 3. Even ODST had it. I doubt 343i would downgrade that aspect of the game, especially considering that they’ve already included it in Halo 4 and H2A’s MM.

Halo 3 only had transparent blue outlines, the edges of the helmet aren’t there. ODST also only had some transparent outlines, and Reach had no unnecessary detail at all. The Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer also only has blue outlines. The visible helmet borders are completely a Halo 4 thing only, and even in Halo 4 they only appear in campaign.

That was the first problem I noticed in Halo 4. Yeah, before I even got out of the capsule I had already found a nitpick with the game.

Your TV/monitor has a limited view, you can’t squeeze in stuff you would only see in the corner of your eye. It distracts from the immersion by making it feel like you’re watching through a camera that was put inside a helmet. It’s a little different from having your actual eyes up against the screen.

Definitely keep it, but add an off/on toggle for the people who don’t like “muh immersion”.

> Definitely keep it, but add an off/on toggle for the people who don’t like “muh immersion”.

I agree. It’s something that should be optional for both parties.

they should definitely keep it