Please have the H3 True skill rank system

I would absolutely LOVE to see a 1-50 true skill system similar to Halo 3 but less grindy than MCC. The true skill system is what kept a large amount of people playing for years on H3 after Reach and H4 were released. It would be dope to see individual playlist exp too like you did in Halo 3 aswell.

Halo 5 uses TrueSkill as well. Internally they are all pretty much the same. Just instead of your CSR being displayed as a number 1 to 50 it is assigned a category; Bronze 6 to Onyx.

It doesn’t really matter.

But what people need to be careful of is that Bungie divided the CSR into 60 ranks - but only displayed 1 to 50. Therefore a ‘50’ pretty much grouped everyone from the level of Diamond 3 to Champion in one lump. I don’t think (high level) players would be very a happy with that in this day and age.

> 2585548714655118;2:
> Halo 5 uses TrueSkill as well. Internally they are all pretty much the same. Just instead of your CSR being displayed as a number 1 to 50 it is assigned a category; Bronze 6 to Onyx.
>
> It doesn’t really matter.
>
> But what people need to be careful of is that Bungie divided the CSR into 60 ranks - but only displayed 1 to 50. Therefore a ‘50’ pretty much grouped everyone from the level of Diamond 3 to Champion in one lump. I don’t think (high level) players would be very a happy with that in this day and age.

Then make it harder to get a 50 or include ranks up to 60. The halo 5 system was basically a short cut to get your rank and reset on top of that. If it didnt reset thatd be better imo

> 2535466955958630;3:
> > 2585548714655118;2:
> > Halo 5 uses TrueSkill as well. Internally they are all pretty much the same. Just instead of your CSR being displayed as a number 1 to 50 it is assigned a category; Bronze 6 to Onyx.
> >
> > It doesn’t really matter.
> >
> > But what people need to be careful of is that Bungie divided the CSR into 60 ranks - but only displayed 1 to 50. Therefore a ‘50’ pretty much grouped everyone from the level of Diamond 3 to Champion in one lump. I don’t think (high level) players would be very a happy with that in this day and age.
>
> Then make it harder to get a 50 or include ranks up to 60. The halo 5 system was basically a short cut to get your rank and reset on top of that. If it didnt reset thatd be better imo

They will either need to go 1-60 (feels clumsy)… or recalibrate their 1-50 (which will annoy everyone who used to be 50 but are no longer good enough).

Could they go 1-100?

The main benefit of the H5 system is that mis-matches in your team are easier to accept. There is quite a gap between Platinum 1 and 6 but it doesn’t feel half as bad because you are in the same category. Similarly you don’t feel off when playing someone in a category above or below you - but the reality is that low gold vs high platinum is a world apart in terms of skill level.

As for ‘resets’ - I didn’t mind them. Apart from trying to engage people to return each season it also softened the blow when returning from a hiatus (and you are not quite as good as you were). I think it mainly stopped people getting a high level and then not playing again to protect that number (like when people bought level 50 accounts in the H3 days). But given that TrueSkill can re-rank you in as few as 2 to 3 games, then 10 games is a bit much.

Personally I would keep the current H5 ranks (Gold to Onyx).

I wouldn’t reset your rank - but would instead ‘hide’ it from public view if you haven’t competed for a period of time. Say 3 months. All you have to do to ‘display’ your rank again is play three games so that TrueSkill can check you haven’t fallen off the perch. The important thing is that your (hard earned) rank is there for you to see at all times.

I would also work on how you present the change in rank. I know it is based on the strength of the two teams and your individual rank inside the game - but it just feels frustratingly random. You know the ones - where you grind up a rank after what seems like a dozen wins, only to drop half a dozen ranks with a single loss, despite pretty much being best on ground for your team. The game needs to show exactly where you stood in the prize pool.

I completely agree. With the game being cross play the ranks need to be like back in the day. The population should be there. And while we are at it. TEAMS match TEAMS. So tired of searching solo and matching a team

Infinite will be using TrueSkill 2, which is what Halo 5 uses. I believe the latest iteration of it was implemented later in the H5 life cycle so it never had the chance to operate with an optimal population.

Whether it is a number, mineral, or literally any other visual representation, matchmaking will operate the same way.

> 2535431933064458;6:
> Infinite will be using TrueSkill 2, which is what Halo 5 uses. I believe the latest iteration of it was implemented later in the H5 life cycle so it never had the chance to operate with an optimal population.
>
> Whether it is a number, mineral, or literally any other visual representation, matchmaking will operate the same way.

Whered you see that at? Would love to read it

> 2535466955958630;7:
> > 2535431933064458;6:
> > Infinite will be using TrueSkill 2, which is what Halo 5 uses. I believe the latest iteration of it was implemented later in the H5 life cycle so it never had the chance to operate with an optimal population.
> >
> > Whether it is a number, mineral, or literally any other visual representation, matchmaking will operate the same way.
>
> Whered you see that at? Would love to read it

“MR” refers to it in the most recent article of Inside Infinite as they briefly discuss multiplayer.

I’m fine with a 1-50 ranking system. But Halo 3’s version of TrueSkill was horrible. You were actually punished the longer you played. I had a ton of friends literally rank frozen at 48 or 49 because they had played thousands of games so even if they won 10 games straight, they wouldn’t move up and losing one game reset all their progress upwards.

EDIT: This is why it became super common for people to abuse the system by starting a new gamer tag, running Doubles with a 40+ partner and literally reach rank 50 by winning 20 or less games from rank 1.

> 2533274804805205;9:
> I’m fine with a 1-50 ranking system. But Halo 3’s version of TrueSkill was horrible. You were actually punished the longer you played. I had a ton of friends literally rank frozen at 48 or 49 because they had played thousands of games so even if they won 10 games straight, they wouldn’t move up and losing one game reset all their progress upwards.
>
> EDIT: This is why it became super common for people to abuse the system by starting a new gamer tag, running Doubles with a 40+ partner and literally reach rank 50 by winning 20 or less games from rank 1.

I’m sure the iteration of TrueSkill today is better that Halo 3’s version (which is over ten years old).

But how does the ‘thousands of games’ come into it? I though the beauty of TrueSkill was that it could reassess your true rank in a handful of games. To the point that if someone else took your controller and starting playing for you - you would be re-ranked to the new player’s level very quickly (at least internally).

> 2585548714655118;10:
> > 2533274804805205;9:
> > I’m fine with a 1-50 ranking system. But Halo 3’s version of TrueSkill was horrible. You were actually punished the longer you played. I had a ton of friends literally rank frozen at 48 or 49 because they had played thousands of games so even if they won 10 games straight, they wouldn’t move up and losing one game reset all their progress upwards.
> >
> > EDIT: This is why it became super common for people to abuse the system by starting a new gamer tag, running Doubles with a 40+ partner and literally reach rank 50 by winning 20 or less games from rank 1.
>
> I’m sure the iteration of TrueSkill today is better that Halo 3’s version (which is over ten years old).
>
> But how does the ‘thousands of games’ come into it? I though the beauty of TrueSkill was that it could reassess your true rank in a handful of games. To the point that if someone else took your controller and starting playing for you - you would be re-ranked to the new player’s level very quickly (at least internally).

That’s Halo 5’a version of the skill system. But even that still ranks you based on past performance. I haven’t played Halo 5 in a long time but if I got on and played my 10 placement matches, regardless of wins or losses, I’m almost guaranteed a diamond rank because of my past ranks of being onyx. I can suck for a long time and probably won’t ever rank silver or gold.

In Halo 3, the system did not “reevaluate” your performance after X amount of games. The longer you played, the system would begin to lock you in place.

If they use the Halo 5 system but convert it to 1-50, it would probably be fine. But I kind of like the seasonal ranks, too. If they can somehow have both simultaneously, that would be cool.

Maybe I’m missing OPs point, which is he just wants a visible 1-50 rank. But they specifically used Halo 3’s TrueSkill as an example and not Halo 2 and/or MCC’s 1-50 system so I’m assuming he means the exact system that game used, which is highly flawed.

> 2533274804805205;11:
> > 2585548714655118;10:
> > > 2533274804805205;9:
> > > I’m fine with a 1-50 ranking system. But Halo 3’s version of TrueSkill was horrible. You were actually punished the longer you played. I had a ton of friends literally rank frozen at 48 or 49 because they had played thousands of games so even if they won 10 games straight, they wouldn’t move up and losing one game reset all their progress upwards.
> > >
> > > EDIT: This is why it became super common for people to abuse the system by starting a new gamer tag, running Doubles with a 40+ partner and literally reach rank 50 by winning 20 or less games from rank 1.
> >
> > I’m sure the iteration of TrueSkill today is better that Halo 3’s version (which is over ten years old).
> >
> > But how does the ‘thousands of games’ come into it? I though the beauty of TrueSkill was that it could reassess your true rank in a handful of games. To the point that if someone else took your controller and starting playing for you - you would be re-ranked to the new player’s level very quickly (at least internally).
>
> That’s Halo 5’a version of the skill system. But even that still ranks you based on past performance. I haven’t played Halo 5 in a long time but if I got on and played my 10 placement matches, regardless of wins or losses, I’m almost guaranteed a diamond rank because of my past ranks of being onyx. I can suck for a long time and probably won’t ever rank silver or gold.
>
> In Halo 3, the system did not “reevaluate” your performance after X amount of games. The longer you played, the system would begin to lock you in place.
>
> If they use the Halo 5 system but convert it to 1-50, it would probably be fine. But I kind of like the seasonal ranks, too. If they can somehow have both simultaneously, that would be cool.
>
> Maybe I’m missing OPs point, which is he just wants a visible 1-50 rank. But they specifically used Halo 3’s TrueSkill as an example and not Halo 2 and/or MCC’s 1-50 system so I’m assuming he means the exact system that game used, which is highly flawed.

I agree Halo 3s system sucked I would like that changed to more of a Halo 2/MCC system and keep playlist exp and keep the max level you’ve reached like in mcc currently

> 2533274804805205;11:
> That’s Halo 5’a version of the skill system. But even that still ranks you based on past performance. I haven’t played Halo 5 in a long time but if I got on and played my 10 placement matches, regardless of wins or losses, I’m almost guaranteed a diamond rank because of my past ranks of being onyx. I can suck for a long time and probably won’t ever rank silver or gold.

According to Microsoft’s website - it takes 46 games to pinpoint a player’s individual skill level for 4 v 4 games. Obviously it will be much faster than this if you have good matchmaking and you bring a consistant level of play. We know TrueSkill 2 adds weight to recent games - and it would only need to take into account the last 50 or so to pretty much nail anyone’s particular rank.

I would hope you wouldn’t drop from Onxy to Silver. That would be like dropping from level 58 to 21 in old school (1-50) terms. You would have to drop your performance considerably to do that.

> 2533274804805205;11:
> But I kind of like the seasonal ranks, too. If they can somehow have both simultaneously, that would be cool.

Yep. Another vote for seasons. They just need to explain what they are doing better. People get so frustrated when they think they are ‘starting again’. You’re not.

> 2535466955958630;12:
> I agree Halo 3s system sucked I would like that changed to more of a Halo 2/MCC system and keep playlist exp and keep the max level you’ve reached like in mcc currently

The max rank should only be visible to the player themselves. Everyone else should only see the ranking you are currently running.

> 2585548714655118;4:
> > 2535466955958630;3:
> > > 2585548714655118;2:
> > > Halo 5 uses TrueSkill as well. Internally they are all pretty much the same. Just instead of your CSR being displayed as a number 1 to 50 it is assigned a category; Bronze 6 to Onyx.
> > >
> > > It doesn’t really matter.
> > >
> > > But what people need to be careful of is that Bungie divided the CSR into 60 ranks - but only displayed 1 to 50. Therefore a ‘50’ pretty much grouped everyone from the level of Diamond 3 to Champion in one lump. I don’t think (high level) players would be very a happy with that in this day and age.
> >
> > Then make it harder to get a 50 or include ranks up to 60. The halo 5 system was basically a short cut to get your rank and reset on top of that. If it didnt reset thatd be better imo
>
> As for ‘resets’ - I didn’t mind them. Apart from trying to engage people to return each season it also softened the blow when returning from a hiatus (and you are not quite as good as you were). I think it mainly stopped people getting a high level and then not playing again to protect that number (like when people bought level 50 accounts in the H3 days). But given that TrueSkill can re-rank you in as few as 2 to 3 games, then 10 games is a bit much.

To complete the engagment to play ranked matches, it needs to have limited time and exclisive rewards. A little like rocket league for instance, small rewards like coatings, emblems, player banner to display one rank on a specific season. And maybe add to the mix some armor parts for reaching a rank in any season.

COMPETITOR-MKI (leg) - reach 1-10 - bronze - just get a competitive rank
COMPETITOR-MKI (arms) - reach 11-20 - silver
COMPETITOR-MKI (shoulder) - reach 21-30 - gold
COMPETITOR-MKI (chest) - reach 31-40 - platinium
COMPETITOR-MKI (visor) - reach 41-49 - diamond
COMPETITOR-MKI (helmet) - reach 50 - onyx
CHAMPION (some fancy effect) - reach 50++ - champion