Please explain how one wins

I’m definitely not a tower defense player. However, I wanted to see what this game was about. I’ve played two games so far and I’m still completely confused with gameplay mechanics, premise, and overall strategies for winning.

Can you all share your experiences with winning and what you did to actually win?

Feedback to Devs:

• I thoroughly dislike how one cannot view the whole map in real-time. It would make moving the cursor so much faster than the current method of scanning the map in small segments. - The introduction was not very helpful to new players. It felt more like a refresh primer for returning Halo Wars 1 players.

Well winning isn’t to hard, make sure you have unit diversity, anti infantry, anti vehicle, that sort of thing. If you’re playing solo it’s really the luck of the draw with teammates. So if you can find a friend to play with, it would really help.

I haven’t played Halo Wars before and I thought that the tutorial vid was helpful, despite having to take a quick glance at controls to figure out commander powers.

To win, for domination, just immediately cap the side point closest to you (only takes 3-4 marine squads), cap the high point closest to you, and build a couple bases with lots of resource production, and you’re set, then you can focus on A in the middle.

First of all, it isn’t a tower defense game. If you stepped in with that mindset you’re going to have a bad time.

Strategy for winning really all depends on the gametype. As the saying goes, PTFO or “Play The -Yoinking!- Objective.”

Domination: capture points, deplete enemy tickets. Not much more to it than that.
Deathmatch: Kill your opponent. Good strategy is to make cloaked units to sneak into their base and see what they are building early on and build to counter them.

> 2533274805499764;1:
> I’m definitely not a tower defense player. However, I wanted to see what this game was about. I’ve played two games so far and I’m still completely confused with gameplay mechanics, premise, and overall strategies for winning.
>
> Can you all share your experiences with winning and what you did to actually win?
>
> Feedback to Devs:
>
> - I thoroughly dislike how one cannot view the whole map in real-time. It would make moving the cursor so much faster than the current method of scanning the map in small segments.
> - The introduction was not very helpful to new players. It felt more like a refresh primer for returning Halo Wars 1 players.

By this do you mean you want the entire map visible, allowing you to see what the enemy is doing? Really? Every RTS does this buddy, it’s a staple and it’s not leaving. You have to scout the area, it’s why we have Jackrabbits and Choppers.

Also, you have to rush to win. Building up your forces will do nothing in Domination if you aren’t decreasing the enemy’s tickets. The goal is to see the enemy’s ticket count reach zero, not destroy the enemy base.

It’s clear you are new to RTS games and I suggest picking up the demo for the original Halo Wars on the 360. It gives you the first two levels and one map to play on. It’ll teach you all you need to know for the basics of an RTS.

Maximum number of marines. Enough said.

lol @ tower defense game. wow, just…wow

do you think the enemy players are AI or something?

> 2533274809280083;7:
> lol @ tower defense game. wow, just…wow
>
> do you think the enemy players are AI or something?

As always, a troll to add zero substance to the conversation.

@the others: thanks for your replies.

that depends. In terms of Deathmatch, Destroy all of the enemy bases, and their units. If a player has no base but still has units, the player can use his or her remaining units to claim a base or a mini-base. the player must do this within one minute after his or her last base was destroyed or it will result as an automatic surrender (Game over, and it’s up to your partner if he or she is still alive)

> 2533274840044779;2:
> Well winning isn’t to hard, make sure you have unit diversity, anti infantry, anti vehicle, that sort of thing. If you’re playing solo it’s really the luck of the draw with teammates. So if you can find a friend to play with, it would really help.

that or you can just make 26 banshees. It obliterated my enemy in my last match but thats because his units were all air.

Basically you are building/upgrading your base, while simultaneously expanding and collecting resources scattered on the map, and also simultaneously attacking/defending against your enemies. It’s mayhem!

One thing to keep in mind is that a bigger army is way better than a small one. For example, if I have 2 marine units fighting your 1 marine unit, I’ll probably lose 50% of health from one guy in the time it takes to kill yours. If I have 4 units, their combined fire will squash your guy in no time, and I may lose 25% health from one guy. So if I keep encountering one of your units at a time, my 4 troops could wipe out around 10 of yours. Safety in numbers.

Start each game by building power stations and supply pads so you have a stead stream of resources. Upgrade those as soon as possible to get a snowball effect going so you always have plenty of resources.

Send your guys to stand next to the yellow crates on the map so they collect them and you get more supplies. That’s probably the #1 resource needed for bringing in new troops and upgrading buildings.

There’s always different strategies/approaches. Do you rush the enemy base with troops to disrupt their expansions? Do you play defense and try to upgrade your units so you are sending tanks and spartans against marines? I would recommend watching some YouTube to see what others do.

And in the end, remember that it’s a beta so a lot of people are figuring it out too. And this beta is just two multiplayer modes. The original Halo Wars had a really cool campaign with a lot of variety, and a much easier learning curve. So there will be lots to enjoy in the final game.