Please drop dedicated servers

Dedicated servers is a decent idea but they are so terrible. I’d much rather play on a player host that’s closer to me than connecting to these trash servers. Maybe they should do all social games on player host and ranked can be on dedicated servers so we can atleast occasionally have a good connection. These servers are too far away and it makes the game almost unplayable.

> 2533274960034349;1:
> Dedicated servers is a decent idea but they are so terrible.

So how about improving them instead of dropping them? I really don’t miss that “host migration” nonsense

> 2533274904158628;2:
> > 2533274960034349;1:
> > Dedicated servers is a decent idea but they are so terrible.
>
> So how about improving them instead of dropping them? I really don’t miss that “host migration” nonsense

Or host bonuses…yes, you totally hit me with that shotgun blast from LITERALLY SIX FEET AWAY

> 2533274907200114;3:
> > 2533274904158628;2:
> > > 2533274960034349;1:
> > > Dedicated servers is a decent idea but they are so terrible.
> >
> > So how about improving them instead of dropping them? I really don’t miss that “host migration” nonsense
>
> Or host bonuses…yes, you totally hit me with that shotgun blast from LITERALLY SIX FEET AWAY

Haha 6 ft isn’t very far to shoot a shotgun haha. But yeah I get what your saying. But I experience it with servers too. Whoever lives closer to the server has a big advantage. And since the servers are always in the same location if you live a decent distance away you will literally always experience the same type of poor connection compared to the guy that lives close by.

Try connecting from the West Coast of Australia to a US server…

> 2535461339840779;5:
> Try connecting from the West Coast of Australia to a US server…

It’s that bad from Sydney aswell mate I feel your pain tanked is just so hard your literally between 1-3 shots behind it’s hard to compete against good players with that type of disadvantage

> 2533274966743271;6:
> > 2535461339840779;5:
> > Try connecting from the West Coast of Australia to a US server…
>
> It’s that bad from Sydney aswell mate I feel your pain tanked is just so hard your literally between 1-3 shots behind it’s hard to compete against good players with that type of disadvantage

Yeah mate it makes it so difficult and frustrating… sigh
Edit: so from where I live in Australia the distance to LA in the US is 15014 kms away so no wonder my gameplay is so disadvantaged…

I think I’d campaign for more servers rather than going back to an inferior peer to peer setup. Furthermore what happens when you connect to a host that is still across the world? That bad connection just doubles in issues. I think this’d be quite common because of decreasing player numbers.

The dedicated servers for H5 wouldn’t be so bad if they had more of them spread out. Far as I’m aware it’s primarily the US regions that will have it the best and foreign countries that get shafted because of this.

They don’t need to drop them but increase them. As much as I loved going to black screen every time someone rage quit I don’t wanna go back to those times.
they need to add more servers to different regions of the world as far as I know they are mostly in the US which for me is awesome but everyone else in the world not so much

> 2533274904158628;2:
> > 2533274960034349;1:
>
> So how about improving them instead of dropping them? I really don’t miss that “host migration” nonsense

And host migration was far from the worst problem with peer to peer networking.

> 2533274904158628;2:
> > 2533274960034349;1:
>

Nate is precisely right…they just drastically need to improve what they have. Going back would not be good. The host advantage, or games ending when a host would quit. Who would want to go back to that?

Improving and adding servers is what they should be doing. Getting hit off when we were on a player’s host was really annoying. Maybe they could add a player to player host for certain regions, but I don’t know how difficult that would be to implement.

I think this is the first time a Halo game has ever been hosted on dedicated servers. So my guess is 343i will make some serious adjustments to there servers and learn from H5. There is no doubt they need to add a few. Even here in the US it doesn’t take much to see how really poor there servers are when it comes to being spread out properly over the region. Currently H5 is hosted from pre existing MS locations. And if you look at those locations you can see there not placed at all for gaming. And to be honest I’m not entirely sure MS data centers are even ideal for gaming. Last time I checked the middle section of the US has a big gapping hole that goes from west coast to easy coast. With the exception of Iowa. But even then I’m not even sure if the game is being offered from that location. Again last time I checked I think it was a DoD site and I would be surprised if a game is going to be hosted from there. Ive played a few games on dedicated servers and theres no doubt for me its the worst playing game ive ever encountered on dedicated servers and I’m a US player. Moving forward dedicated servers should be the gold standard of gaming. Maybe not in all regions where population is low but in the US dedicated servers need to stay. And 343 just needs to get there servers to perform better for the gaming community as a whole. One thing I would like to see added is server selection. At least this way if we have bad ping spikes at one location we can try another location to better our gaming experience. The current system we have now does not at all give us any option like that and most games that are on dedicated servers do.

Honestly, everyone is right here . The OP has a point that even with dedicated severs, people who live far away from one still get a lot of issues. I do agree with others here though that going back to peer to peer isn’t the answer at all.

The answer is more severs around the world and improving upon those.

Unfortunately for people who don’t live near a server right now, Halo 5 and future titles as of right now are sorta useless for them. A other big reason to have LAN back in future Halo titles. It at least gives people an option.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post comments that are discriminatory in nature.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> 2535461339840779;7:
> > 2533274966743271;6:
> > > 2535461339840779;5:
> > > Try connecting from the West Coast of Australia to a US server…
> >
> > It’s that bad from Sydney aswell mate I feel your pain tanked is just so hard your literally between 1-3 shots behind it’s hard to compete against good players with that type of disadvantage
>
> Yeah mate it makes it so difficult and frustrating… sigh
> Edit: so from where I live in Australia the distance to LA in the US is 15014 kms away so no wonder my gameplay is so disadvantaged…

Yep on average 400-600ping to the servers even here to the stupid Sydney’s servers it’s over 150 which is retarded considering they are less than 10km away from me ! I love when your standing on a power up and as you go to equip it someone just runs up 2 seconds later and they somehow end up with it ! Or the times you run out of ammo shooting people and they kill you in 0.2 of a second

> 2533274966743271;15:
> > 2535461339840779;7:
> > > 2533274966743271;6:
> > > > 2535461339840779;5:
> > > > Try connecting from the West Coast of Australia to a US server…
> > >
> > > It’s that bad from Sydney aswell mate I feel your pain tanked is just so hard your literally between 1-3 shots behind it’s hard to compete against good players with that type of disadvantage
> >
> > Yeah mate it makes it so difficult and frustrating… sigh
> > Edit: so from where I live in Australia the distance to LA in the US is 15014 kms away so no wonder my gameplay is so disadvantaged…

Man this happens all the time! Completely unfair and I’m really struggling with H5 atm because of it… The pain of playing in Australia…

> 2535461339840779;7:
> > 2533274966743271;6:
> > > 2535461339840779;5:
> > > Try connecting from the West Coast of Australia to a US server…
> >
> > It’s that bad from Sydney aswell mate I feel your pain tanked is just so hard your literally between 1-3 shots behind it’s hard to compete against good players with that type of disadvantage
>
> Yeah mate it makes it so difficult and frustrating… sigh
> Edit: so from where I live in Australia the distance to LA in the US is 15014 kms away so no wonder my gameplay is so disadvantaged…

Melbourne guy here… glad I’m not the only one :frowning:

Every game I get the jump on someone, pump two shots into them but they don’t register until after I’m dead. The other guy 5 shot me before I got my final 3 shots in.

It’s now turned me into a vehicle and sniper noob because I lose most 1v1 BR or pistol firefights. Only reason my KD is 1.7 is because I spam the wraith/ banshee/ mantis every single game lmao. It’s also why I can’t play any ranked playlists because I get rolled simply due to lag and I let my team down which feels terrible.

Go play some MCC and you may change your mind about going back to player host system. MCC is on player host system and majority of the time when the host quits the game just ends. It rarely connects to a new host. This can be particular rage inducing if you were doing well in a match. Or, in MCC case, even worse if you were playing on a game/map that rarely wins the vote because of all the H3 fanboys… Got a rare match of Halo CE BTB, Was about to take this shot when the game froze and ended…host quit…rage needless to say

I live in New York and i swear it feels like im always connecting to West coast servers. It can get annoying when your shots dont even register.

I understand it’s hard to play on. Especially if you don’t live in NA. Imo when the server works it’s the best registration we have ever had in a Halo game.