Please don't show power weapons in HUD

343i’s past two mainstream Halo installments (4 and 5) have had one feature in MP that was UNBEARABLE, which was how power weapons were shown on the HUD. Part of why the older games were so great is because you had to look for the power weapons and learn the map, not follow a waypoint to race someone else to it. You can technically argue that 5 didn’t do this to the same caliber as 4, but they still put showed “main” power weapons (i.e. the Rocket Launcher and Sniper on Coliseum). Please don’t show power weapons on the HUD, and have people look for them themselves.

Dude ‘looking’ for them is not a thing after the first time you find them.

> 2533274797640604;2:
> Dude ‘looking’ for them is not a thing after the first time you find them.

That’s not his point though. I’m sure you understand what he’s saying? His point is he wants it like the older games where the Power Weapons didn’t have a big waypoint over it so that EVERYONE can see it.

> 2533274797640604;2:

The point is that people that have played the map before know where they are at because they either A. stumbled upon them or B. seen it being used and decided to learn it’s spawn. Now people that have never played the game can get a lucky spawn, and see where a power weapon spawn is and is alerted that it has respawned usually leading turning into a contest of who gets to the point. This penalizes a team most of the time since experienced users of said power weapon that know it’s location probably know how to use it.
Another point is that it can alert the other team that a power weapon has been picked up and giving away the position of the taker, in old Halo’s it could lead to the taker surprising the other person going after said power weapon.

> 2535426515273563;3:
> > 2533274797640604;2:
> > Dude ‘looking’ for them is not a thing after the first time you find them.
>
> That’s not his point though. I’m sure you understand what he’s saying? His point is he wants it like the older games where the Power Weapons didn’t have a big waypoint over it so that EVERYONE can see it.

For better or worse, it does effect the gameplay.
In the older games, you would have to go and see if the power weapon had been taken. How you get a waypoint that tells you when it will drop, if it’s still there, and when someone takes it.
In a way it alerts both teams that power weapons are in play, and changes their play style.

Feel free to call me a casual but I honestly don’t want to be bothered keeping time on various power weapons. Frankly it is tedious. I know people who literally have timers that they click to keep track of weapon spawns in the other games.

What I liked about the timers in H5 is that it helped create “moments.” Everybody is on the same page and can set up a strategy to contest the spawn. In the older games that didn’t have timers, this moment could very well happen once or twice in a game (at the beginning) before one team gets the time on a spawn and can pick up future spawns uncontested.

You could argue that knowing the time creates more of a skill gap, but is that the kind of gap you want rather than a team having a better setup against another team?

So we’re absolutely clear; I can play both ways.

But if it’s a question of intuitive info vs odd ‘issues’ like “but everybody knows it’s there!” - I’m gonna lean toward intuitive info.

l prefer the way H2A did it. The marker is only visible when you’re a few meters away, and it tells you when it’s there or not when you look at it. It’s great for those less-visible weapons, like a Shotgun on the floor.

One could argue H5’s system takes inspiration from competitive CE, where alarm clocks would be regularly going off to alert all players of item spawns due to their completely static spawn timers. Halo 5 sort of cuts out the middle man and puts the spawn timers and alerts in-game, which for the competitive scene is quite convenient.

I really don’t have an opinion either way. If a map has a power weapon, people are gonna go after it. And at least 50% of the time I’d say you’re focused on other things besides controlling and defending those power weapons.

Agreed, there is a great fun factor and skill set to timing power weapons, as opposed to them spawning with a giant waypoint which prompts players to go directly for them without thinking.

> 2535426515273563;3:
> > 2533274797640604;2:
> > Dude ‘looking’ for them is not a thing after the first time you find them.
>
> That’s not his point though. I’m sure you understand what he’s saying? His point is he wants it like the older games where the Power Weapons didn’t have a big waypoint over it so that EVERYONE can see it.

Thank you for clarifying

> 2535428777172366;12:
> > 2535426515273563;3:
> > > 2533274797640604;2:
> > > Dude ‘looking’ for them is not a thing after the first time you find them.
> >
> > That’s not his point though. I’m sure you understand what he’s saying? His point is he wants it like the older games where the Power Weapons didn’t have a big waypoint over it so that EVERYONE can see it.
>
> Thank you for clarifying

“Everybody seeing it” isn’t an argument to me, tbh.

I agree. Remembering spawn times on power weapons is part(all be it small) of the game. When the game tells you when they are dropping and where it takes a small aspect of game sense away. I know it sounds try hard but I liked that dedicating time to understanding the game could help you have the edge over another player.

I also like the way it used to be. I think we should have to remember spawn counters. I will admit, that I do see the argument for “both sides know when it’s coming and can lead to interesting encounters” but overall, I still think knowing the spawn counters is better and more fun. If the timers should be static or not, that I haven’t decided yet…

I guess one thing they could do is show where the power weapons are on your hud on social playlists and on ranked, don’t. This would work particularly well on modes of play that are in both for new players to transition from social to ranked.

One thing I would like to see and Halo 5 sorta does it, is before the match, they show a short clip of where ALL power weapons and power ups spawn. Maybe they can do this while the map is loading…I don’t know…but I like that idea.

> 2533274797640604;2:

It is when someone else picks it up and you have to go check on its spawn to see if its back. Showing everyone where it is just leads to a mass of players making a run for it the moment it pops up. The issue is that it affects every strategy, when the icon lights up many people have a knee jerk reaction to head to that location which can lead to a lot of quick kills for whoever gets to the rocket first when they all bunch up in one location unlike other halo games where you have to go back and check if it respawned, less people are making a run for it at the same time.

More importantly, the icon shows us when it’s not there. When someone picks it up the icon goes down and now everyone is aware that the weapon has been obtained before it has even been used and you’ll know which team too since you can see friendly tags at all times. If you see the icon go down and friendly tags didn’t rush onto it that second then that means the enemy has it and you now not only have their location, but know they have that weapon and can plan accordingly. No more sneakily grabbing something while the enemy isn’t looking and surprising them. This means you can’t hide your tactics from the enemy anymore which is kind of a big part of combat.

> 2533274892901745;8:
> l prefer the way H2A did it. The marker is only visible when you’re a few meters away, and it tells you when it’s there or not when you look at it. It’s great for those less-visible weapons, like a Shotgun on the floor.

This was probably my favorite method of showing players where weapons were, along side halo 5’s highlighting weapons that weren’t on weapon pads. Though I wish it could be turned off in custom games where hiding stuff might be part of the map’s/gamemode’s asthetic, but halo 5’s highlighting doesn’t get in the way too much in that regard.

Counterpoint, HCE lan players these days have a timer which counts down every powerup and weapon respawn. This is a useful feature even at high level play. It helps newcomers as well as vets. It’s only a benefit to have an announcement of power weapon spawns.

> 2533274841728491;17:
> Counterpoint, HCE lan players these days have a timer which counts down every powerup and weapon respawn. This is a useful feature even at high level play. It helps newcomers as well as vets. It’s only a benefit to have an announcement of power weapon spawns.

What is HCE? Is it an app or something? I’m not up to speed anymore with a lot of stuff Halo lol

> 2533274815533909;18:
> > 2533274841728491;17:
> > Counterpoint, HCE lan players these days have a timer which counts down every powerup and weapon respawn. This is a useful feature even at high level play. It helps newcomers as well as vets. It’s only a benefit to have an announcement of power weapon spawns.
>
> What is HCE? Is it an app or something? I’m not up to speed anymore with a lot of stuff Halo lol

halo combat evolved

I’ve never had a problem with pointing out to new players where the power weapons are. If people feel threatened by new players getting to know where power weapons are located on the map that says more about their skill than the game’s flaws.

I would change it so that the HUD icon is always there, with no indication as to whether or not the weapon is actually there or not. It solves the problem of giving away an enemy’s position if they pick it up, while still allowing the map to be friendly to people who haven’t played it before.