Please don't cross the blood line

I have always been a fan of Halo. One of the main reasons for this is because of the way it is able to create a dramatic storyline within a fictional universe, without resorting to the killing of humans, or resorting to gore.

I have my own personal views and I believe for myself that it is unhealthy to play games where you kill other people (I know that I for one do become desensitized when doing so, I can’t speak for anyone else, just me). That in itself cuts down the number of games I am willing to play by rather a lot. Everyone is saying how great this year is going to be with good games, but not for me. I have no MW3 or BF3 to look forward to (I had to download the BF3 demo just to see how good the graphics were).

Now I think this also applies to very violent games, take for example Gears of War. I am all for realism and dark, gritty, aspects to games, but when sheer brutality from the player controlled character just doesn’t sit right with me (such as having a chainsaw on the front of your gun).

As such I would ask anyone in 343 who may be reading this, please don’t make the chief kill humans in Halo 4 as it would mean I couldn’t buy or play the game. Now I don’t mind if perhaps it is optional, but allow me to complete the game without having to do so and it will be fine.

Again, I am not saying this is everyone’s experiences, just my own personal beliefs, I hope that 343 continue the tradition that Bungie set down in this regard, and that I am able to be the first in line on launch day.

Given the only humans are the Chief’s allies, I wouldn’t see why he would kill any. Unless 343 does something really twisted to the story, you should be fine.

So killing aliens is alright, but killing humans isn’t?

Bit racist…

Although, I can see where you’re coming from. They probably won’t. Microsoft doesn’t want Halo being at the darker end of the spectrum in regards to it’s rating. So you’ll probably still be fighting aliens, alien zombies and or robots.

The Chief has killed Humans already. I am confused?? I don’t want to fight humans either though. I want to discover a whole new alien race to kill. lol :slight_smile:

So, what I can gather is, you don’t like playing games where you kill humans? Wow, you sound like Jack Thompson. Humans kill other humans every day in wars. You might not like me to say this but it’s a very natural thing.
Sure, games are making it “entertainment” but you could say that about films such as Saving Private Ryan, The Hurtlocker, Full Metal Jacket etc.

I wouldn’t mind the chief killing humans as long as it makes sense to the Halo canon.

- Jason Garwood

Bring Halo back to it’s roots.

Spartans were originally designed to combat insurrectionists.

I’m all against pointless killing in RL as well, yet I don’t even hesitate pulling a trigger against a virtual enemy.

Also, you kill Spartans in multiplayer.

OP why would it even be an issue for you? They’re video games. Not real. I am not an immoral person (no more than any regular joe anyway) but I play games like MW2 a lot…and it doesn’t bother me, and I don’t think about shooting people who anger me in real life. I even play the GTA series, and never once have I decided to go on a killing spree. Why? Because I know it’s just a game, and I don’t let anything get to me that I don’t want to. You really shouldn’t be limiting yourself on what games you play simply because it involves killing virtual people. Try some Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Gears of War, you’ll like them I promise, and you won’t become a bad person for playing them. Remember that you’re not actually killing anyone, you’re using your controller to manipulate game code.

Although when you give Modern Warfare 2 a whirl, opt out of the graphic level when it prompts you.

EDIT BY MODERATOR: It’s important to remember that participation in the forum requires that all users follow the Halo Waypoint Forum guidelines, which prohibit the attacking of other forum members.

Everyone can review our guidelines here.

Halo CE actually had fairly excessive gore and blood. The Flood showed all kinds of guts. They didn’t really tone it down until later.

Anyway, I’m surprised you think it’s more right to kill an alien creature than a human. All things considered it’s a video game either way, right?

And how do you play Multiplayer?

> OP why would it even be an issue for you? They’re video games. Not real. I am not an immoral person (no more than any regular joe anyway) but I play games like MW2 a lot…and it doesn’t bother me, and I don’t think about shooting people who anger me in real life. I even play the GTA series, and never once have I decided to go on a killing spree. Why? Because I know it’s just a game, and I don’t let anything get to me that I don’t want to. You really shouldn’t be limiting yourself on what games you play simply because it involves killing virtual people. Try some Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Gears of War, you’ll like them I promise, and you won’t become a bad person for playing them. Remember that you’re not actually killing anyone, you’re using your controller to manipulate game code.
>
> Although when you give Modern Warfare 2 a whirl, opt out of the graphic level when it prompts you.

I agree with this; saying it isn’t healthy to kill humans in games implies, to me anyway, that you have trouble telling the difference between virtual and reality, that you fear you wouldn’t be able to control yourself in reality.

Killing virtual humans is no more offensive to humans then killing virtual aliens: both of them represent an intelligent creature, neither one is real.

And games like Gears of War are violent because of the atmosphere of the story; the chainsaw is there entirely because Locaust hides are far too strong for conventional bayonets, so the COG attatched a chainsaw to compensate. Its not because of some sick desire to have a chainsaw, it’s the nature of the story, portraying the lengths humanity had to go just to fight them.

This is something else that bothers me: people who can’t take violence are kidding themselves. They try to hide from the harsh realities of war, or the harsh realities of violence. And therefore they let that cloud their view of and ability to enjoy a story. People like this I find to have a warped viewpoint of the world.

I’m not encoraging the murder of humans, only expressing the truth: it happens. We can do nothing about it. Showing that in Halo 4 could actually benefit the story in some ways, to remind the Chief that his entire existence is based soley in the need to kill humans (during the Insurrection).

Halo’s a violent universe, but the games never show this; the books and other media do though. I’m afraid if you can’t accept that Halo has human vs human stories and some pretty gnarly violence, you might not be able to enjoy the universe like we do.

Here is the deal. When shooting people, a part of your mind doesn’t know if it is real or not (especially when the graphics are near photo-realistic), because of this studies have shown that people do become desensitized towards violence if they play violent video games. Now shooting an alien doesn’t effect me, why? Because aliens don’t exist (as far as we know) and if we do discover them, it is unlikely that they will look like they do in Halo games.

I can take violence, I just don’t particularly like it and its effect on me and others. Also, those who say its just a game and not real, would you support a game that allowed you to rape children? Think about that for a minuet. If not, then why? The game isn’t real. The fact is that we play games to delve into the experience and become the characters we are playing. Thus we are able to identify the choices we make. The same could be said of watching videos of deaths on youtube. Its just a visual reconstruction of a real death, just like video games, however people have reached the point where they can see pictures of gore, or child -Yoink!- and not be effected. I don’t want to reach that point, because when I do, I know a little bit of my humanity has died.

First of all I wouldn’t mind fighting Insurrectionists, itd actually be kinda cool. Second, I think itd be awesome to have a gore switch on the menu… imagine how much more powerful the sniper would feel if you blew an Elites head off (imagine GoW) or a rocket if enemies just disintegrated in red mist… :stuck_out_tongue:

> Here is the deal. When shooting people, a part of your mind doesn’t know if it is real or not (especially when the graphics are near photo-realistic), because of this studies have shown that people do become desensitized towards violence if they play violent video games. Now shooting an alien doesn’t effect me, why? Because aliens don’t exist (as far as we know) and if we do discover them, it is unlikely that they will look like they do in Halo games.
>
> I can take violence, I just don’t particularly like it and its effect on me and others. Also, those who say its just a game and not real, would you support a game that allowed you to rape children? Think about that for a minuet. If not, then why? The game isn’t real. The fact is that we play games to delve into the experience and become the characters we are playing. Thus we are able to identify the choices we make. The same could be said of watching videos of deaths on youtube. Its just a visual reconstruction of a real death, just like video games, however people have reached the point where they can see pictures of gore, or child -Yoink!- and not be effected. I don’t want to reach that point, because when I do, I know a little bit of my humanity has died.

I dont think killing other people PvP in games is wrong. Its competition. You cant compare that to rape.
And if you stop reacting to pictures of gore, child -Yoink!- or dead people you dont loose a part of your humanity. If you see a dead person you know or dont know in real life, you will still react to it. Trust me.

ok, back to topic. I agree that we shouldnt fight humans unless the story forces you to do it. I think almost every halo player has tried to keep their fellow humans alive in every halo game.
There was alot of blood in the first halo game, but that may be because there was alot more blood and gore in old fps games (unreal tournament etc.). But I agree that there shouldnt be more gore in Halo 4 then it was in Halo Reach, but I wouldnt mind better looking blood effects.

I hope you don’t have a problem playing multiplayer, it’s really fun :confused:

So be it then. You don’t like killing humans. But that doesn’t give you the right to attempt to change the way Halo 4 will be made, or any game or movie for that matter. What if someone enjoys killing virtual humans? What then? Should their opinion weigh less than yours? Absolutely not. So don’t think that because your argument is more morally acceptable it can change anything. Just stating facts.I’m not trying to discourage your beliefs, if anything I’d like to encourage them.

dude, the only time that you have to kill humans is if one of the following happens:

A) you betray your allies
or
B) marines get infected

other than that, there will be no reason that chief will kill his own kind

> So killing aliens is alright, but killing humans isn’t?
>
> Bit racist…
>
> Although, I can see where you’re coming from. They probably won’t. Microsoft doesn’t want Halo being at the darker end of the spectrum in regards to it’s rating. So you’ll probably still be fighting aliens, alien zombies and or robots.

its not racist, its specisist!

wow that sounded a lot more epic in my head

So…Killing humans is not ok but aliens is…Hmmm :confused:

> So killing aliens is alright, but killing humans isn’t?
>
> Bit speciesist…
>
> Although, I can see where you’re coming from. They probably won’t. Microsoft doesn’t want Halo being at the darker end of the spectrum in regards to it’s rating. So you’ll probably still be fighting aliens, alien zombies and or robots.

Fix’d