Please don't carry over the aiming into H6, Please

I have spent the better of two years fighting the aiming mechanic in this game and I’ve had just about enough of it. I’ve done as much research possible into dead zones, aim acceleration, etc, to the extent: I know too damn much about aiming. Heavy aim, latency, blah blah blah, please do all of the community a favor, stick with the traditional aiming that EVERY MODERN SHOOTER USES.

I understand 343i strives to undo everything Bungie, right down to who they believe should be the main character (ahem Palmer, Locke) but please for the love of God and all green on this planet, don’t replicate this aiming system in future titles. Its a major part to any game’s longevity, and essential part to keep playing.

I’m not a pro player, I don’t strive to be one either.

Yah, it was even in canon as to why Spartans aimed the way they did originally. It helped separate it from other games. I hope they go back to basics with Halo 6.

Isnt ADS the same thing every other shooter uses? I dont know what you’re griping about.

> 2533274907200114;3:
> Isnt ADS the same thing every other shooter uses? I dont know what you’re griping about.

That’s the problem. It’s what every other shooter uses. Halo doesn’t need to copy Battlefield or Call of Duty. It needs to be its own thing with its own mechanics, or it loses its identity. With the release of Infinite Warfare, you can hardly tell the two series apart now.

I’m asking for something explicitly simple: when I push my analog stick, I don’t want six to seven different things happening. I just want a consistent aiming system, where my reticle feels normal, not flying across the screen whenever I breathe.

I can’t begin to mention the amount of in game adjustments I have to go through just to get through a match. I set my aiming preferences once in every other shooter, and NEVER enter that screen again.

OP is talking about heavy aim and how aiming in Halo 5 feels random at times, not the concept of Smart Scope.
Also Halo 4 has the best aiming system.

And the Aim Assist is a joke, to the point where I’ve often been fighting against it trying to track one enemy when the enemy I’ve been shooting at is weak. It’s started tracking distant enemies when I’ve been trying to throw grenades resulting in the grenade being off target. And it’s too hard to break it off of whatever it thinks you should be looking at. In short, let me pick my own targets!

> 2535442569875751;6:
> OP is talking about heavy aim and how aiming in Halo 5 feels random at times, not the concept of Smart Scope.
> Also Halo 4 has the best aiming system.

> 2533274898072837;7:
> And the Aim Assist is a joke, to the point where I’ve often been fighting against it trying to track one enemy when the enemy I’ve been shooting at is weak. It’s started tracking distant enemies when I’ve been trying to throw grenades resulting in the grenade being off target. And it’s too hard to break it off of whatever it thinks you should be looking at. In short, let me pick my own targets!

Yes, and yes.

I’m not as educated on the different parts and mechanics that make up an aiming system, but I can be certain it shouldn’t output to this much difficulty on the user end. The game almost forces you to re-think how to aim in a FPS; then make the switch over to the traditional shooters (CoD, BF1, Battlefront, R6) and your almost jealous of how simple and smooth the aiming curve is!

I think this is one area that as not just the Halo Community, but gamers everywhere can agree on that: MAKE A UNIVERSAL AIMING SYSTEM. I’m not asking for load outs, kill streaks, or playable vehicles at spawn, I’m just asking to play the base game with little to no adjustments needed.

Sure a tinker here, maybe .5 higher on the vertical, 1 less on the horizontal, I understand that it’s normal and quite frankly, very user-friendly for customization. It’s everything else that I need to adjust in order to make it feel like a normal shooter. Damn I miss the mouse and keyboard in times like this, oh why oh why Sega did you have to leave the console biz? That mouse and KB for the DreamCast got me wishing for some good old Q3A 56k dial up games.

> 2535420667885857;4:
> > 2533274907200114;3:
> > Isnt ADS the same thing every other shooter uses? I dont know what you’re griping about.
>
> That’s the problem. It’s what every other shooter uses. Halo doesn’t need to copy Battlefield or Call of Duty. It needs to be its own thing with its own mechanics, or it loses its identity. With the release of Infinite Warfare, you can hardly tell the two series apart now.

Still feels like Halo to me. All I know for sure is, I can ACTUALLY USE THE AR AT MORE THAN POINT BLANK RANGE NOW.
Also, having played Infinite Warfare as well, I can say they are completely different. Halo is actually still enjoyable and feels like a shooter SHOULD feel (that is, positioning, tactics, and map knowlage will win you a battle, rather than having the better gun and shooting first), while IW is…I dont know at this point.

I have to disagree. I actually find Halo 5s aiming, sensitivity, acceleration, etc to be one of the best in the series. Its soo much smoother than mostly anything Bungie ever did. Its that 343’s bullet magnetism and hitboxes are nuts. Alls I’d change is the speed of the sensitivity. Sometimes it feels too fast no matter how low it is.

I agree, kind of sad that a fps can’t nail down probably the most important thing, aiming. I’ve changed deadlines, sensitivity, etc etc and gone through the various hard aim patches and other crap 343 has done but it’s not consistent. I don’t really care if H6 gets it right though, I’ll be more interested in destiny being a better halo than halo itself can.

> 2535461287427665;1:
> I have spent the better of two years fighting the aiming mechanic in this game and I’ve had just about enough of it. I’ve done as much research possible into dead zones, aim acceleration, etc, to the extent: I know too damn much about aiming. Heavy aim, latency, blah blah blah, please do all of the community a favor, stick with the traditional aiming that EVERY MODERN SHOOTER USES.

If you don’t mind, can you explain how the aiming system in Halo 5 works, and compare it to how the aiming system in “every modern shooter” works? (Or alternatively just link me to somewhere that does that.) And by that I mean that you should explain, for example, what happens when I deflect my stick by X amount from the moment I move my thumb to the moment I am turning at full speed in the game, or how deflecting by Y differs from X quantitaviely. And how this differs from “every modern shooter”?

There are two reasons I ask this. First, because I’m always interested in the technical aspects of games, and frankly, due to how little I play Halo 5, I haven’t really delved into the problems with the aiming system. So, I’d certainly appreciate a good read. The second reason I ask is because I find this criticism a bit vague. After all, I’m sure the implementations of aiming systems vary between games quite drastically—even between every modern shooter—from shapes of dead zones to aim acceleration curves, and I find it rather doubtful that Halo 5 would do anything exceptionally unorthodox in this regard. That’s why it’s unclear to me what exactly is it that you want? I’m especially confused as you mention heavy aim and latency as examples of problems, but to my knowledge both of these are external to the aiming system itself.

So, there are two things I’d appreciate clarification on. First, what are the problems with the aiming system itself at a technical level? Secondly, how should the system work—i.e., how does “every modern shooter” avoid these problems at a technical level?

And Bring back old lobbies no one liked or likes the current ones.

> 2535420667885857;4:
> > 2533274907200114;3:
> > Isn’t ADS the same thing every other shooter uses? I don’t know what you’re griping about.
>
> That’s the problem. It’s what every other shooter uses. Halo doesn’t need to copy Battlefield or Call of Duty. It needs to be its own thing with its own mechanics, or it loses its identity. With the release of Infinite Warfare, you can hardly tell the two series apart now.

That’s mostly CoD’s fault. The only things in Halo that are like CoD right now is Smart-Link (which I love), Sprint (which I prefer to no Sprint but don’t mind it being optional in Customs), Clamber (which adds some nice verticality), and Fishstick controls.

> 2533274805386380;10:
> I have to disagree. I actually find Halo 5’s aiming, sensitivity, acceleration, etc to be one of the best in the series. Its soo much smoother than mostly anything Bungie ever did. Its that 343’s bullet magnetism and hitboxes are nuts. All I’d change is the speed of the sensitivity. Sometimes it feels too fast no matter how low it is.

I could go on a good, long rant about H5’s hitboxes. I should not die by one sniper shot a yard past my butt (yeah, yeah, little exaggerated, but y’all get the point).

> 2533274805919869;13:
> And Bring back old lobbies no one liked or likes the current ones.

What do you mean? I like H4’s lobbies, I just wish it was easier to get gametypes not called Slayer, Grifball, or Flood.

H5’s could use some updates, sure, but it doesn’t need much.

Comment deleted by poster.