Please ditch the Mantis.

I’ll be blunt, the Mantis ruined every map it was on in H4. It was slow, overpowered, and killed the flow of BTB games. It drowned out the fun of vehicle play, and slowed down the game way too much. It was the rare combination of being overpowered but also not being that fun to use. I understand the need to introduce new vehicles to the BTB fray to keep things interesting, but let’s add things like the brute chopper instead of big overpowered lugs like the Mantis. The chopper was fun to drive and wasn’t too powerful. It played great in the sandbox against the Warthog and created some cool moments. The mantis was just dull. I do not want it in Halo 5.

I would prefer if they opened up vehicular combat to include all previous vehicles on maps that could contain that much chaos.

I thought you might have offended the Mantis above me.

I completely agree. It always provided for more frustration than fun.

I don’t find the Mantis any more offensive than vehicles with lots of firepower. The only problem with the Mantis in multiplayer is that is suffered from being the “new toy”. As a result it was used far more often in maps they had not business being in.

Placing certain powerful vehicles on mostly symmetrical maps like Ragnarok or Meltdown is a recipe for stagnation no matter the vehicle(especially in objective games). I had the same problem with Hemorrhage in Reach with the Wraith.

I would have liked to see how a map like Vortex would have played had the neutral wraith been replaced with a neutral Mantis. Long story short the Mantis itself is not a problem, the problem was how it was used in specific maps.

I disagree… I don’t think the mantis was the problem…I think how halo 4 played was the problem. Loadouts, spawning with PP, other vehicles being made of cardboard etc

I think the mantis can work, and for the most part, they had the slow and powerful part right, but everything else in the game just ruined it. Lets face it, halo 4 messed up on SO many levels and affected so many parts of the game it wasn’t funny.

Lets just hope and pray halo 5 will be much, much better :slight_smile:

Sadly I would have to agree. The mantis is a cool vehicle in its own way, but personally I find it ugly. I don’t think it matches the aesthetics of Halo very well. I’d like to see the Scorpion return to form as a ultimate weapon.

I don’t think its too bad but in Halo 4 for me at least it felt unneeded and it didn’t really work like how I think they wanted

The Mantis should be nerf’d, but I feel the Banshee is even more over powered though.

I actually like the Mantis in both aesthetics and functions, I just feel it has to be nerfed in some way (maybe a limited 1st person viewpoint to increase the need for situational awareness and allow for easier surprise attacks, as well as fast overheats for its machinegun). I also feel that it needs to be a one-map exclusive, like the Elephant in Halo 3. It dominates BTB gameplay way too much in its H4 incarnation.

I think removing it is unnecessary. It’s not completely broken to the point where it’s impossible to tweak. I personally would like the the hijacking to be allowed from behind as well as front.

I think the mantis was fine, I just don’t understand why they left human air vehicles out of multiplayer… They clearly made the mechanics for the shortsword and pelican, how sick (and completely broken, gameplay-wise) would it be to have that in multiplayer?

Either remove it’s shields, or tone it’s armor down to compensate for the fact that it has shields. Assuming we won’t be spawning with PPs and Stickies like in Halo 4, it will have to be nerfed in durability to fit in with the rest of the vehicle sandbox.

i would much rather see the cyclops than the mantis. something that is also 1-man and retains the same general mechanics/playstyle

smaller, weaker and faster NOT big, tanky and slow

a medium sized vehicle that could work on smaller BTB maps

Personally I’d like to see the Mantis be tweaked instead of removed. In 4 it almost seem to be confused with it’s role: Was it a medium vehicle or a heavy vehicle? If it is a medium vehicle, why does it have multiple heavy weapons controlled be a single pilot? If it is a heavy vehicle, why does it have shields and low armor health?

What I’d like to see for the Mantis is it to be more aligned to a true heavy vehicle. Strip off the shields, raise it’s health to similar to that of the Scorpion tank, and keep it’s weapons pretty much the same, maybe add Mantis with various weapon load outs, similar to the Warthog. Physically I think it’s size needs to be beefed up as well, was never comfortable with the spindly-looking legs it has. Maybe just scale it up 1.5x? Would definitely be a large vehicle and match the firepower it has.

In addition, I’d like to see the Cyclops adding into the games as well. Pretty much be a lighter, faster, and less armed and armored mech compared to the Mantis. Could give it the shields that I suggested be taken from the Mantis, along with either light or medium armor. It’s weapons should be close to mid ranged, with a one hit melee to reflect it’s destruction role from Halo Wars. And unlike the Mantis, it should have a “glass” visor or canopy that could be shot through by a skilled markman, making it available to other players. I also feel that the Cyclops weapons should be varied like Warthogs, especially since Mega Bloks has been releasing several variation of them that would be fun to play as in game. Who wouldn’t want to be running around in a Cyclops with a flame thrower?

It is true, but it replaces any can heavy vehicles such as the scorpion.

I disagree, I loved using the Mantis. And it wasn’t overpowered either. If you pushed too far towards the other base on Ragnarok, you were going to get trashed easily. However, the main reason for this was H4’s loadouts and ordnances. (Personally, I have nothing against them, but meh) If nobody had a PP and the only Splaser was being held by the user of the Mantis, they you would be pretty much -Yoinked!-.

Thus, I think it should return, only tweaked so that it’s a viable choice in a game without ordnance. Possibly lower armour, or you can only regen shields when standing still and actively recharging.

As for the Cyclops… It isn’t really a fighting vehicle. Sure, it was re-purposed pretty effectively, but to me it looks like it would be even slower than the Mantis. Look at how bulky it is!

You know, I heard that they didn’t actually get to finish the Mantis. I think it was meant to be able to jump. Look at all those ports on the back. Jump jets, anyone? Perhaps ditch the shields, add some more manoeuvrability, and nerf it a bit to compensate?

If custom loadouts return, the Mantis is fine as it is; all you really need is a plasma pistol and you can take one down solo. If your team will actually provide support (unlikely), it becomes stupidly easy.

If custom loadouts do not return, then the Mantis could stand to have its survivability nerfed (shields more than armor, really). As far as the weapons it carries, it’s fine; it’s meant to be a power vehicle to entice people to want it and fight for control of it.

Has any one forgotten about that map revolving around the central island, with the gauss hog and scorpion tank (whichever as later removed). You could do circuits on that thing without going down, and if you were the victim with a bad team all you had to do was make sure you hide when it makes it’s next pass. It was just as bad as the Mantis when it came to ground control/suppression.

> 2533274932540799;16:
> I disagree, I loved using the Mantis. And it wasn’t overpowered either. If you pushed too far towards the other base on Ragnarok, you were going to get trashed easily. However, the main reason for this was H4’s loadouts and ordnances. (Personally, I have nothing against them, but meh) If nobody had a PP and the only Splaser was being held by the user of the Mantis, they you would be pretty much -Yoinked!-.
>
> Thus, I think it should return, only tweaked so that it’s a viable choice in a game without ordnance. Possibly lower armour, or you can only regen shields when standing still and actively recharging.
>
> As for the Cyclops… It isn’t really a fighting vehicle. Sure, it was re-purposed pretty effectively, but to me it looks like it would be even slower than the Mantis. Look at how bulky it is!
>
> You know, I heard that they didn’t actually get to finish the Mantis. I think it was meant to be able to jump. Look at all those ports on the back. Jump jets, anyone? Perhaps ditch the shields, add some more manoeuvrability, and nerf it a bit to compensate?

type in assault cyclops into google images and look at the one that sorta looks like the big daddy with 2 machine guns on his shoulders, then also the one with the rocket launcher on its left arm. just make one that has one machine gun on the shoulder + rocker + 1 arm spare for melee attack, faster move speed and give it the ability to jump.

at the risk of having an easily removable window, a weak spot on the back, vehicle health of the warthog in reach (40-45 dmr shots) and other weak spots which make the kill time with primary weapon even shorter.

> 2533274811959854;17:
> If custom loadouts return, the Mantis is fine as it is; all you really need is a plasma pistol and you can take one down solo. If your team will actually provide support (unlikely), it becomes stupidly easy.
>
> If custom loadouts do not return, then the Mantis could stand to have its survivability nerfed (shields more than armor, really). As far as the weapons it carries, it’s fine; it’s meant to be a power vehicle to entice people to want it and fight for control of it.

calling it, custom loadouts with plasma pistols will not return i hardly even see custom loadouts returning in general considering how broken they are