Please consider more soft barriers

Seeing footage from the tech preview made it clear that the maps have not been made with the grapple hook in mind. People consistently tried to make jumps that they couldn’t, slamming into invisible walls at every turn. Instead of constructing your maps as a series of hallways, blocking rooftops with invisible walls, construct them like a big box, with soft killbarriers on ‘off-limits’ places to avoid abuse.

IF YOU’RE GOING TO HAVE A GRAPPLE HOOK IN THE GAME, LET PEOPLE USE IT.

and if a map HAS to be made like a series of hallways, and you absolutely can’t let people go over rooftops and stuff, just don’t put the grapple on that map. Bazaar was really the only map playing offense here and it wouldn’t have been noticed if you guys just didn’t put a grapple on the map at all.

Oh, now this is something I hadn’t considered 343 would do. If the Grapple is indeed limited with invisible walls instead of warning boundaries and kill-timers, then this should be changed. Most previous Halo maps allowed us to go out-of-bounds, if I remember correctly, but penalized us through a warning then death if we went outside of the intended play area.

> 2535410766963836;2:
> Oh, now this is something I hadn’t considered 343 would do. If the Grapple is indeed limited with invisible walls instead of warning boundaries and kill-timers, then this should be changed. Most previous Halo maps allowed us to go out-of-bounds, if I remember correctly, but penalized us through a warning then death if we went outside of the intended play area.

In older games there were a mix of both. Reach usually opted for a soft kill barrier preceding the invisible wall, whereas halos 1-3 went mostly for minimal invisible barriers, and halo 3 sometimes used insta-kill boundaries or areas of danger. An example being sandtrap, which blew you up with mines if you tried to leave, or sandbox, which lasered you to death. Most of the areas ‘within’ the bounds of each map were traversable, including buildings, with scant few exceptions. For instance, most of the buildings on powerhouse could be jetpack’d over with no issue. Although, halo reach is really the only game with any comparison to be made given it had the Jetpack which gave you similar freedom to go wherever.

I love maps that have obvious out of bounds=death. Like snowbound on Halo 3. Literally get shot by auto turrets.

> 2533274816257608;4:
> I love maps that have obvious out of bounds=death. Like snowbound on Halo 3. Literally get shot by auto turrets.

Maps that give you some in-universe reason for the barriers are the best. Something about being trapped by threat of death for some mysterious reason gives you a totally different feeling than bumping your head on Microsoft’s special window.

the feeling of being maligned by an in-universe higher power almost brings a sense of reverence. It commands more respect than an invisible wall because it feels like it’s playing by its own rules.

> 2535411347511088;5:
> > 2533274816257608;4:
> > I love maps that have obvious out of bounds=death. Like snowbound on Halo 3. Literally get shot by auto turrets.
>
> Maps that give you some in-universe reason for the barriers are the best. Something about being trapped by threat of death for some mysterious reason gives you a totally different feeling than bumping your head on Microsoft’s special window.
>
> the feeling of being maligned by an in-universe higher power almost brings a sense of reverence. It commands more respect than an invisible wall because it feels like it’s playing by its own rules.

I feel like for bazaar, if you get on the roofs, a pelican swoops by and a gunner on the back shoots you. Idk how that would make sense but it would pretty funny if someone tried to camp on top or spawn farm, they just get roasted by a marine on a turret.

I actually like the invisible walls. Too many Halo games in the past are broken through these glitches. They were great for the time, but the worst feeling is a team winning and going into hiding where you cannot shoot them or find them.

> 2533274792737987;7:
> I actually like the invisible walls. Too many Halo games in the past are broken through these glitches. They were great for the time, but the worst feeling is a team winning and going into hiding where you cannot shoot them or find them.

The only real problem I have with barriers like this is that they are not something easily bypassed in forge. That’s my only actual gripe about them

> 2533274816257608;8:
> > 2533274792737987;7:
> > I actually like the invisible walls. Too many Halo games in the past are broken through these glitches. They were great for the time, but the worst feeling is a team winning and going into hiding where you cannot shoot them or find them.
>
> The only real problem I have with barriers like this is that they are not something easily bypassed in forge. That’s my only actual gripe about them

That is a valid point and I would agree with you. They could just remove them for Forge.

I hope that the problem of the invisible walls will be fixed before the release of the game. because I loved the grappling hook but I couldn’t enjoy it to the fullest because of that.

> 2533274792737987;7:
> I actually like the invisible walls. Too many Halo games in the past are broken through these glitches. They were great for the time, but the worst feeling is a team winning and going into hiding where you cannot shoot them or find them.

Was this ever a real problem? I can’t think of a single instance of a map broken by a boundaries glitch that didn’t involve clipping through walls.

> 2535411347511088;11:
> > 2533274792737987;7:
> > I actually like the invisible walls. Too many Halo games in the past are broken through these glitches. They were great for the time, but the worst feeling is a team winning and going into hiding where you cannot shoot them or find them.
>
> Was this ever a real problem? I can’t think of a single instance of a map broken by a boundaries glitch that didn’t involve clipping through walls.

Ghost Town probably is the best example of it.

> 2533274792737987;12:
> > 2535411347511088;11:
> > > 2533274792737987;7:
> > > I actually like the invisible walls. Too many Halo games in the past are broken through these glitches. They were great for the time, but the worst feeling is a team winning and going into hiding where you cannot shoot them or find them.
> >
> > Was this ever a real problem? I can’t think of a single instance of a map broken by a boundaries glitch that didn’t involve clipping through walls.
>
> Ghost Town probably is the best example of it.

I looked up “ghost town map exploit halo” and got one complaint on the MCC forum from earlier this year, and nothing else of value. I don’t think it’s an issue. Usually, whenever someone can shoot you, you, can shoot back, and the nature of Halo’s weapons means that your effectiveness is limited by your range and ammo count. Even if the grapple hook breaks the map somehow and lets you get to a high up place you aren’t supposed to be, so what? It’s not like tiny little edges way high up are great places to be anyways. Unless you can get into, like, a window or something, you’re just asking to get sniped for free.

> 2535411347511088;13:
> > 2533274792737987;12:
> > > 2535411347511088;11:
> > > > 2533274792737987;7:
> > > > I actually like the invisible walls. Too many Halo games in the past are broken through these glitches. They were great for the time, but the worst feeling is a team winning and going into hiding where you cannot shoot them or find them.
> > >
> > > Was this ever a real problem? I can’t think of a single instance of a map broken by a boundaries glitch that didn’t involve clipping through walls.
> >
> > Ghost Town probably is the best example of it.
>
> I looked up “ghost town map exploit halo” and got one complaint on the MCC forum from earlier this year, and nothing else of value. I don’t think it’s an issue. Usually, whenever someone can shoot you, you, can shoot back, and the nature of Halo’s weapons means that your effectiveness is limited by your range and ammo count. Even if the grapple hook breaks the map somehow and lets you get to a high up place you aren’t supposed to be, so what? It’s not like tiny little edges way high up are great places to be anyways. Unless you can get into, like, a window or something, you’re just asking to get sniped for free.

You can get out of the map and no one can get to you if they are not aware of the way. It happens once in awhile in MCC and it honestly is the worst feeling ever. It absolutely is an issue and has substantial value because it literally breaks the experience. If you quit then you get penalized since they stay back there for the rest of the match. The grapple hook only makes these areas more likely. Having a kill timer is obviously the answer if they can do it correctly for all of the locations.