Please Bring Back The Halo 3 Magnum

Please bring back the Halo 3 Magnum in Halo 4. Now, you are probably thinking something along the lines of “He can’t be serious” or “He’s gotta be trolling” or even “The hell is wrong with this man-lady?! That thing was terrible!”

But I gotta ask you a question? Did you ever take the time to use it? If you did, how? Mindlessly charge at a guy with it or try taking out a sniper from a BR distance? Or did you think? Look around the map and think about it? “What can I dual wield this with? Plasma Pistol noob combo? Well, the Plasma Rifle does bonus shield damage and this thing can get headshots… SMG has a big mag and does regular damage to health if I miss… Hmm… The Spiker is closest and does bonus melee damage.”

The Magnum can even be used by itself when you need to (or are getting close to needing to) reload, or when you are just outside of an AR’s range. You can even use it in case you need something slightly longer range. Say you need something to make that sniper up there unscope so he might miss. Maybe you wanna rush him with the Magnum. If you do it right, it can work. Multiple enemies coming through that door and are gonna kill you? Grenade and Magnum.

This thing is great by itself, and even more amazing if dual wielded. It takes skill and you need to think about how and when to use it, or when to pick up your AR/SMGs or BR.

Now, most people can’t just pick this up and use it. Like I said earlier, you can’t just charge or try to snipe with it. You need to think what (or if) you’re going to use it with anything, how (grenades, dual wield, what weapon to dual wield with), and when (Where the enemies are, what weapons they have, distance, surroundings, etc.). You also pretty much need to hit the head for the kill. I don’t mean every time, I just mean for when you have to get the final shot for the kill. This thing can also take very quickly to get kills in the right situation, in the hands of the right user.

The Magnum can:
1 Shot (Plasma Pistol + Magnum noob combo, Melee + Magnum)
2 Shot (Probably not going to happen unless standing right in front of them Plasma Rifle + Magnum)
3 Shot (SMG + Magnum, Spiker + Magnum)
4 Shot (Magnum + Magnum)
5 Shot (Magnum)

And don’t think people can do good with the Magnum?
Proof 1
Proof 2
Proof 3

I also wrote this in response to somebody asking if the Magnum was underrated (underestimated) in Halo 3

> Underrated? Yes. Underpowered? Not at all. The Halo 3 Magnum was very good. People are just mad because you can’t run around and skillesly 3 shot people from across the map. The Magnum can be useful by itself to take out enemies who have low/no shield or to get guys who are just out of your AR’s range. You can also use it as a decent support weapon.
>
> If you are really good, you can actually kill an AR user faster than he can kill you.
>
> Now, most of you forget about dual wielding. If you are accurate, in close quarters the Magnum can be dual wielded with many weapons (SMG, Plasma Rifle, maybe the Spiker) to get a 3 shot kill if you hit the head. A Magnum with a Plasma Pistol is also a noob combo, and a Magnum can be dual wielded with another Magnum to kill a BR user in 4 shots faster than he can kill you. And strafing (like you’re supposed to with all weapons) reduces his chances of hitting you, especially with that 3 shot burst he has.
>
> I’ve killed many people with those tecneques and the Magnum by itself. It’s because I though about how it can be used, and was good with it. I’ve taken out snipers, BR users, AR users, Shotgun users, I think a guy with the rockets once.
>
> People rely on weapons that you don’t have to think with. I don’t understand. If you put a little thought into the other weapons, they can be devastating, while still having their weaknesses.

I’m still having those initial thoughts…

Halo Reach TU pistol > Halo CE pistol > Halo 2 pistol > Halo 3 pistol.

> Halo Reach TU pistol > Halo CE pistol > Halo 2 pistol > Halo 3 pistol.

Overpowered CE pistol Halo 3 Magnum > Halo 2 pistol

It is difficult to compare the Magnum across all games because of the complications dual wielding adds.

Magnum plus X beats Y and so forth.

> > > Halo Reach TU pistol > Halo CE pistol > Halo 2 pistol > Halo 3 pistol.
> >
> > Overpowered CE pistol Halo 3 Magnum > Halo 2 pistol
>
> You have never played Halo 1 or 2 just by saying that…Good day.

Sorry, I don’t like getting killed from five miles away by a PISTOL. In 3 shots doesn’t help. Hell, an Assault Rifle shouldn’t even be able to do that, but a pistol?

And I think Halo 3’s Magnum is more useful than Halo 2’s pistol. Both are useful though.

> Halo Reach TU pistol > Halo CE pistol > Halo 2 pistol > Halo 3 pistol.

The TU pistol is the same as the CE pistol, it just has a different skin.

Well this may be your opinion, but honestly, I doubt most of the community will want 343 to actually do this. The CE pistol is loved by almost all Halo fans.

Killing weakened targets doesn’t hold up. Anything can kill a weakened target. I once killed a weakened target with a frag. Not with a frag grenade explosion. I literally killed him by hitting him in the face with a frag grenade.

As for the dual-wielding combos, those may well have made the Mag stronger in Halo 3, but we don’t have dual-wielding in Reach. That advantage literally does not exist anymore. H3Mag just won’t work.

…Except maybe in Infection.

I always loved the Halo 3 pistol. It may have not been my go to weapon but I’ve outplayed BR users( I didn’t have the jump on them) with it(just the pistol) whenever I didn’t have access to my 4-shot beauty.

> Killing weakened targets doesn’t hold up. Anything can kill a weakened target. I once killed a weakened target with a frag. Not with a frag grenade explosion. I literally killed him by hitting him in the face with a frag grenade.
>
> As for the dual-wielding combos, those may well have made the Mag stronger in Halo 3, but we don’t have dual-wielding in Reach. That advantage literally does not exist anymore. H3Mag just won’t work.
>
> …Except maybe in Infection.

You forgot about the part where I said the Magnum can kill fully shielded targets by itself. And I never said for Reach. I don’t care about Reach.

> Well this may be your opinion, but honestly, I doubt most of the community will want 343 to actually do this. The CE pistol is loved by almost all Halo fans.

Doubt that’s going to happen because 343 even said that the Magnum is “wildly overpowered.”

To bring back the H3 magnum they’d have to bring back dual wielding and I didn’t like dual wielding all that much. The weapons were crap when single-wielded.

I’d much rather see the automag again, but buffed for a six-shot kill.

> To bring back the H3 magnum they’d have to bring back dual wielding and I didn’t like dual wielding all that much. The weapons were crap when single-wielded.

Not at all. Plasma Rifle didn’t need reloading and did bonus shield damage so you could win Melee fights, SMG was great by itself at close quarters and beat the Assault Rifle, while still being able to function outside of its combat zone. Spike did bonus health damage and bonus melee, Mauler is still the overpowered noob weapon for camping corners and does bonus melee, Plasma pistol… Ever hear of noob combo or plasma punch? And Magnum was great.

They weren’t made to do everything you know.

> I’d much rather see the automag again, but buffed for a six-shot kill.

Pretty sure that would make it kill faster than the BR.

Yeah but I like how reach’s multiplayer works with just the AR you know? It’s good up close and if you’re accurate and pace the trigger you can win the mid range fights (assuming it’s against another AR). I just think having all these choices slows down the gameplay, like you have to think “which combos do I want?” and such. In reach you have your AR and you’re good to go.

> Yeah but I like how reach’s multiplayer works with just the AR you know? It’s good up close and if you’re accurate and pace the trigger you can win the mid range fights (assuming it’s against another AR). I just think having all these choices slows down the gameplay, like you have to think “which combos do I want?” and such. In reach you have your AR and you’re good to go.

1. The AR does not actually work like that. Maybe on paper, but not in-game.
  2. You don’t HAVE to think about it. It’s an option. It’s just another thing that gives you an advantage if done properly and mixes up combat a bit.

I used the Magnum in Halo 3 over the AR all the time. But I wouldn’t want it back. It took a frustrating level of effort to use.

Halo 3 pistol was the worst. Talk about a completely forgettable weapon.