Playlists & game types are lacking

For starters, many of the classic foundation game types of halo are just non-existent. Not only are game types missing, many playlists are as well. And the playlists that are in Halo 4 are so stable that it feels like there is almost no variety while you’re playing the game.

I do love some of the new additions though: Dominion, Regicide and Extraction are all very fun and entertaining playlists for me. Here is a list of some game types & playlists I have found to be missing.

Game Types

• Assault (any variation of this)
  • Juggernaut
  • VIP
  • Territories
  • Race
  • Invasion
  • HeadHunter
  • Stockpile

I still am in shock that Assault is not included

Playlists

• Action Sack - This is my #1
  • Team Doubles
  • Team Snipers
  • Griffball
  • Team Objective (which I greatly! prefer over every objective split into their own categories)
  • Squad Slayer
  • Classic Slayer
  • Multi-Team (Without MultiTeam we won’t even see Rocket Race)
  • Arena

Clearly, a lot is missing from classic & more modern halo titles that really should not be in my opinion.

Now what I mean by stable is once you join a playlist, that is it. If you enter Swat, Big Team etc you know exactly what you are about to play other than map selection. Why? It leaves you with almost no variety in your particular playlist.

Here’s what I mean (I will be combining Reach and 3 for these examples)

You could of ended up in these game types in just one playlist. (I will mark any FFA & Team types with a *). Remember action sack from reach held many of these.

Slayer

• Classic Slayer (desperately needed)
  • Elite Slayer
  • Rockets
  • Swords*
  • Splockets
  • Snockets
  • Shwat Guns
  • Shotty Snipers
  • Hammers*

Halo 4

• Slayer

Remember even big team battle would rotate in Assault, Flag, Territories, Big Team Snipers etc Halo 4 only! offers slayer*

Now we are reduced to an only Slayer variant with no other task than just kill when previously other game types would be an option in the rotation. Without the different types the playlists now never feel like they are changing and you’re stuck in a dead end.

Here’s a few more comparisons

Swat

• Flag
  • Magnums
  • Swat Potato
  • Stockpile
  • Territories

Halo 4

• Swat (Not even a Swat Magnum option)

Capture The Flag

• Big Team Flag
  • Center Flag Pull
  • 2 Flag
  • One Flag
  • Multi-Flag

Halo 4

• Capture The Flag (2 Flag)

No variation, just one offered type. Nothing mixes up the game play or the playlist and you’re stuck playing just the same continuous game of swat, slayer without a change. Almost all of these are just variations in the starting defaults so I do not see why they are not an option. Especially Swat Magnums, how is that left out?

I also believe that King, Oddball & Flag should be combined back into their Team Objective playlist but that is just my preference.

Would love to hear others thoughts on this and I probably missed a lot of types from previous titles that Halo 4 is missing but it is what I can remember at the time.

I think you should keep the normal matchmaking slayer the same, but make a social slayer that includes the action sack games like hammers and rockets for those that want it. I agree with some type of arena or competitive, ranked playlist. It’s sooo needed.

> I think you should keep the normal matchmaking slayer the same, but make a social slayer that includes the action sack games like hammers and rockets for those that want it. I agree with some type of arena or competitive, ranked playlist. It’s sooo needed.

Yes. I don’t know why there isn’t an action sack playlist or something like it. I was just showing how many different slayer variants there is just in halo 3 & Reach and 4 managed to only use one.

I think they should double down on there playlists in total. Every gametype comes with its own fanbase. No one likes playing the exact same thing over and over. You have a higher chance of pleasing more people with more play lists.

H3 has 15 playlists
Reach has 12 playlists
H4 has 10 playlists

Each playlist in all those games has a fanbase and the reduction of the playlists reduces the people playing. Everyone likes to play something different once in a while just for a change of pace.

If H4 wants to expand and evolve does it make sence for them to have less playlists or more of them.

> I think they should double down on there playlists in total. Every gametype comes with its own fanbase. No one likes playing the exact same thing over and over. You have a higher chance of pleasing more people with more play lists.
>
> H3 has 15 playlists
> Reach has 12 playlists
> H4 has 10 playlists
>
> Each playlist in all those games has a fanbase and the reduction of the playlists reduces the people playing. Everyone likes to play something different once in a while just for a change of pace.

Exactly. And not only that, I like mechanics of certain playlists (i.e Swat) but I don’t want to play swat the entire night. At least in Reach they would mix up the game type with magnums, oddball, stockpile etc. To add more to the playlist then just bare bones.

That was my main reason for why action sack was my favorite playlist in Reach. You had a completely random selection of games and almost rarely played the same game type/map combo in hours of playing.

I agree with almost everything that you have said, Zorthax, apart from when you said “I also believe that King, Oddball & Flag should be combined back into their Team Objective playlist but that is just my preference.”

Obejective gametypes are almost the -Yoink- child of the Halo games. What usually happens is that we get about 15 Slayer gametypes and maybe 2 or 3 Objective gametypes that get clumped together. I love objective because it adds another dimension to the gameplay. You still get to kill people (more on average than in Slayer games) but you also have to think about the tactics and strategies that are needed to win the objective.

Everything else that you said though, was spot on!

> I agree with almost everything that you have said, Zorthax, apart from when you said “I also believe that King, Oddball & Flag should be combined back into their Team Objective playlist but that is just my preference.”
>
> Obejective gametypes are almost the -Yoink!- child of the Halo games. What usually happens is that we get about 15 Slayer gametypes and maybe 2 or 3 Objective gametypes that get clumped together. I love objective because it adds another dimension to the gameplay. You still get to kill people (more on average than in Slayer games) but you also have to think about the tactics and strategies that are needed to win the objective.
>
> Everything else that you said though, was spot on!

Ya the Team objective is not a huge deal for me just kind of how I’ve been brought up with objective game types haha. It is nice to be able to directly chose what objective you want to play though.

I really want Extraction to be brought outside Crimson DLC in some manner. I figured it would fit nicely within a Team Objective but without that playlist it would have to be its own. So it’s a little tricky with stuff like that (especially if headhunter etc is brought in). I would love them to have their own playlist I just don’t see how likely it would be for 343 to do that.

But thanks for the support!