Played since Combat Evolved, New to Halo 5,

I’ve enjoyed every Halo since Combat Evolved.

I recently got a Game Pass subscription for £1 and downloaded Halo 5… This is not a good Halo game in my opinion. I’ve mainly been playing ranked slayer. The maps are chaotic with no flow and the gameplay is much too fast. It feels like a twitch shooter now, instead of the more tactical Halos of old.

Halo 4 was vastly better IMO, and that’s saying something. Halo 5 is even more fast paced than that game was, which is not good in my opinion. I know they won’t return to the halo 2/3 gameplay ever again probably, but if they could at least revert back to a Halo 4-esque state for Halo 6 that’d be nice.

Just voicing my opinion before my Game Pass subscription runs out. I won’t be purchasing the game any time soon.

> 2533274939504981;1:
> I’ve enjoyed every Halo since Combat Evolved.
>
> I recently got a Game Pass subscription for £1 and downloaded Halo 5… This is not a good Halo game in my opinion. I’ve mainly been playing ranked slayer. The maps are chaotic with no flow and the gameplay is much too fast. It feels like a twitch shooter now, instead of the more tactical Halos of old.
>
> Halo 4 was vastly better IMO, and that’s saying something. Halo 5 is even more fast paced than that game was, which is not good in my opinion. I know they won’t return to the halo 2/3 gameplay ever again probably, but if they could at least revert back to a Halo 4-esque state for Halo 6 that’d be nice.
>
> Just voicing my opinion before my Game Pass subscription runs out. I won’t be purchasing the game any time soon.

Welcome. Sorry to hear that you dont like 5. For some it is an aquired taste. Before you give up on it completely i highly recommend playing some Warzone and Firefight. Maybe some action sack or customs also. The forge in this game is top notch and the community has made some pretty incredible things.

It’s tough for new players and I hear where you’re coming from, I’m struggling with H5 but trying to play past it as I’m new also. I hope that I’ll adapt and get better to a point that I’ll enjoy it otherwise I fear I won’t survive but I’m giving it time which I think H5 needs more than any other title in the Halo series… must… keep… trying

> 2533274816299345;2:
> > 2533274939504981;1:
> > I’ve enjoyed every Halo since Combat Evolved.
> >
> > I recently got a Game Pass subscription for £1 and downloaded Halo 5… This is not a good Halo game in my opinion. I’ve mainly been playing ranked slayer. The maps are chaotic with no flow and the gameplay is much too fast. It feels like a twitch shooter now, instead of the more tactical Halos of old.
> >
> > Halo 4 was vastly better IMO, and that’s saying something. Halo 5 is even more fast paced than that game was, which is not good in my opinion. I know they won’t return to the halo 2/3 gameplay ever again probably, but if they could at least revert back to a Halo 4-esque state for Halo 6 that’d be nice.
> >
> > Just voicing my opinion before my Game Pass subscription runs out. I won’t be purchasing the game any time soon.
>
> Welcome. Sorry to hear that you dont like 5. For some it is an aquired taste. Before you give up on it completely i highly recommend playing some Warzone and Firefight. Maybe some action sack or customs also. The forge in this game is top notch and the community has made some pretty incredible things.

Yes I’ll take your advice and play some other modes in the game before my GP subscription runs out.

There are some things about the game I find highly impressive, such as the graphics coupled with the amazing frame rate, 60 fps I believe. Feels awesome, something that needs to be present for future games IMO.

I LOVED the campaign in 4 and from what I’ve played of 5, it seems like it could be just as great.

It’s just the sheer speed of the multiplayer combat and the chaos I don’t like.

> 2533274939504981;1:
> This is not a good Halo game in my opinion. I’ve mainly been playing ranked slayer.

Nooga beat me to it, but I was going to say, if you’re judging Halo 5 based solely on its ranked slayer, then you’re missing a lot of what the game has to offer. Personally, I play and enjoy Halo 5 all the time, but I don’t touch anything in ranked. I hope you enjoy the other modes when you try them.

> 2533274904158628;5:
> > 2533274939504981;1:
> > This is not a good Halo game in my opinion. I’ve mainly been playing ranked slayer.
>
> Nooga beat me to it, but I was going to say, if you’re judging Halo 5 based solely on its ranked slayer, then you’re missing a lot of what the game has to offer. Personally, I play and enjoy Halo 5 all the time, but I don’t touch anything in ranked. I hope you enjoy the other modes when you try them.

I’ve mainly been playing ranked slayer, but I have played other versus multiplayer modes and they have the same problem I’m describing. The combat in social big team battle has the same issue IMO, time to kill is way too low and it feels too fast paced.

For me, the main draw of Halo has been and will always be the ‘ranked’ versus multiplayer modes.

I definitely will try out the other modes. I feel like this game could be great. My opinion is that, with respect to multiplayer, it needs to be dialled back a bit though.

This is a great example of a disconnect in this community lol. No offense to anyone, but it’s just how things are actually considered issues and not.

‘The reason why you are struggling with the new gameplay’ (343i’s perspective): You haven’t tried the ‘casual’ gameplay, such as Warzone, to learn how to use abilities faster and get used to the new controls. Give that a try. (I’m aware you said that above, I’m just displaying how this game was actually designed in how to ‘learn’)

The real reason why you are struggling with new gameplay: MMR and placement games pushes you to play against people who have played this game far more than you have played this game. You are then put into a scenario where you are, essentially, the person in the classroom that has to ‘learn’ while the others already know the information. It puts you at an extreme disadvantage. After playing the placement games, you now rank in MMR and CSR as the people you just played with, pushing you to actually keep playing terrible in this particular playlist until you stop playing, get frustrated, and mention it on here.

Solution: Fix MMR or completely remove it from the matching. This is also the reason why the ‘social’ options are ‘sweaty’. This is also the reason why you are playing against a Plat. 6 with 13Ds played in the game, when you are a Gold 1 with 2 hours played in this game. Anyone notice the problem here? Lol. It’s not that the Plat 6 is ‘bad’, as he went 16 and 12 compared to “A Shy Very Shy guy”'s 2 and 10. It’s that “A Very Shy Guy” is playing his top 10 placements against people that are fare more familiar and far more skilled at this title than him, resulting in him ranking then as a Gold 1, which will put him directly on track with the Gold in that game who received 19 kills and 11 deaths. Oh wait. Notice the inconsistencies yet?

Within 1 day, I just saw two posts, nearly identical, with two different solutions. The other one said “Get teammates” and this one said “Play warzone”. Neither are solutions to what is wrong lol. The solution to even the “Social slayer felt too competitive” is also this.
It’s kind of like how I saw this Champ 100 something in Slayer when I created an alt account to for my nephew to play on. There is virtually no reason why a Champion should rank with someone new to this game, regardless if they ‘could be an alt’ or not. That’s kind of what is alienating people from ranked playlists, ya know? lol.

Actually H5 has pretty solid game play. It takes longer to get used to than previous titles. It’s better than Reach and H4 gameplay wise but yeah the maps are a bit lacking. To many remixes and sadly most even play rather similar. So many maps cater to CQC. The only ranked I play is FFA. I love that it gives me that competitive feel that H3 lone wolves had. Reach and H4 sure didn’t have that. You are probably struggling because you came in so late in H5’s life. Majority of the players around are us die hard fans and have been playing H5 literally for years.

I also have played since C.E. and was so disappointed with the campaign, that I put H5 on the shelf for about one week. I decided to try and get my money’s worth out of it, so I jumped into the MP, and tried out all the different playlists. Now it is my go to game!

> 2533274801808070;7:
> This is a great example of a disconnect in this community lol. No offense to anyone, but it’s just how things are actually considered issues and not.
>
> ‘The reason why you are struggling with the new gameplay’ (343i’s perspective): You haven’t tried the ‘casual’ gameplay, such as Warzone, to learn how to use abilities faster and get used to the new controls. Give that a try. (I’m aware you said that above, I’m just displaying how this game was actually designed in how to ‘learn’)
>
> The real reason why you are struggling with new gameplay: MMR and placement games pushes you to play against people who have played this game far more than you have played this game. You are then put into a scenario where you are, essentially, the person in the classroom that has to ‘learn’ while the others already know the information. It puts you at an extreme disadvantage. After playing the placement games, you now rank in MMR and CSR as the people you just played with, pushing you to actually keep playing terrible in this particular playlist until you stop playing, get frustrated, and mention it on here.
>
> Solution: Fix MMR or completely remove it from the matching. This is also the reason why the ‘social’ options are ‘sweaty’. This is also the reason why you are playing against a Plat. 6 with 13Ds played in the game, when you are a Gold 1 with 2 hours played in this game. Anyone notice the problem here? Lol. It’s not that the Plat 6 is ‘bad’, as he went 16 and 12 compared to “A Shy Very Shy guy”'s 2 and 10. It’s that “A Very Shy Guy” is playing his top 10 placements against people that are fare more familiar and far more skilled at this title than him, resulting in him ranking then as a Gold 1, which will put him directly on track with the Gold in that game who received 19 kills and 11 deaths. Oh wait. Notice the inconsistencies yet?
>
> Within 1 day, I just saw two posts, nearly identical, with two different solutions. The other one said “Get teammates” and this one said “Play warzone”. Neither are solutions to what is wrong lol. The solution to even the “Social slayer felt too competitive” is also this.
> It’s kind of like how I saw this Champ 100 something in Slayer when I created an alt account to for my nephew to play on. There is virtually no reason why a Champion should rank with someone new to this game, regardless if they ‘could be an alt’ or not. That’s kind of what is alienating people from ranked playlists, ya know? lol.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but what you’re describing is a different issue. When it comes to my disdain for H5 ranked multiplayer, I can differentiate between the skill level of the people I’m playing against and the actual attributes of the game. Halo has gotten too fast paced and chaotic in my opinion. Initially getting stomped when starting off in a halo is nothing new to me, it’s happened since Halo 3 when I took my gaming online for the first time, but I loved that game’s multiplayer.

> 2535433238497925;9:
> I also have played since C.E. and was so disappointed with the campaign, that I put H5 on the shelf for about one week. I decided to try and get my money’s worth out of it, so I jumped into the MP, and tried out all the different playlists. Now it is my go to game!

Really? That’s disappointing… They did a great job with 4 I thought.

> 2533274816788253;8:
> Actually H5 has pretty solid game play. It takes longer to get used to than previous titles. It’s better than Reach and H4 gameplay wise but yeah the maps are a bit lacking. To many remixes and sadly most even play rather similar. So many maps cater to CQC. The only ranked I play is FFA. I love that it gives me that competitive feel that H3 lone wolves had. Reach and H4 sure didn’t have that. You are probably struggling because you came in so late in H5’s life. Majority of the players around are us die hard fans and have been playing H5 literally for years.

I can respect your opinion.

> 2533274939504981;10:
> > 2533274801808070;7:
> > This is a great example of a disconnect in this community lol. No offense to anyone, but it’s just how things are actually considered issues and not.
> >
> > ‘The reason why you are struggling with the new gameplay’ (343i’s perspective): You haven’t tried the ‘casual’ gameplay, such as Warzone, to learn how to use abilities faster and get used to the new controls. Give that a try. (I’m aware you said that above, I’m just displaying how this game was actually designed in how to ‘learn’)
> >
> > The real reason why you are struggling with new gameplay: MMR and placement games pushes you to play against people who have played this game far more than you have played this game. You are then put into a scenario where you are, essentially, the person in the classroom that has to ‘learn’ while the others already know the information. It puts you at an extreme disadvantage. After playing the placement games, you now rank in MMR and CSR as the people you just played with, pushing you to actually keep playing terrible in this particular playlist until you stop playing, get frustrated, and mention it on here.
> >
> > Solution: Fix MMR or completely remove it from the matching. This is also the reason why the ‘social’ options are ‘sweaty’. This is also the reason why you are playing against a Plat. 6 with 13Ds played in the game, when you are a Gold 1 with 2 hours played in this game. Anyone notice the problem here? Lol. It’s not that the Plat 6 is ‘bad’, as he went 16 and 12 compared to “A Shy Very Shy guy”'s 2 and 10. It’s that “A Very Shy Guy” is playing his top 10 placements against people that are fare more familiar and far more skilled at this title than him, resulting in him ranking then as a Gold 1, which will put him directly on track with the Gold in that game who received 19 kills and 11 deaths. Oh wait. Notice the inconsistencies yet?
> >
> > Within 1 day, I just saw two posts, nearly identical, with two different solutions. The other one said “Get teammates” and this one said “Play warzone”. Neither are solutions to what is wrong lol. The solution to even the “Social slayer felt too competitive” is also this.
> > It’s kind of like how I saw this Champ 100 something in Slayer when I created an alt account to for my nephew to play on. There is virtually no reason why a Champion should rank with someone new to this game, regardless if they ‘could be an alt’ or not. That’s kind of what is alienating people from ranked playlists, ya know? lol.
>
> I’m not saying you’re wrong, but what you’re describing is a different issue. When it comes to my disdain for H5 ranked multiplayer, I can differentiate between the skill level of the people I’m playing against and the actual attributes of the game. Halo has gotten too fast paced and chaotic in my opinion. Initially getting stomped when starting off in a halo is nothing new to me, it’s happened since Halo 3 when I took my gaming online for the first time, but I loved that game’s multiplayer.

Yes, Halo has gotten fast paced. I’m not disagreeing with that lol. I’m simply saying that if the ranking system was different, you probably wouldn’t even notice ‘fast paced’ gameplay until you got used to how the mechanics of the game even worked properly. I went off in a tangent before, but it’s just a valid point that should mark some flags of “Wait…I just started this game two hours ago. Why am I playing against someone with nearly two weeks played?” lol.

> 2533274801808070;13:
> > 2533274939504981;10:
> > > 2533274801808070;7:
> > > This is a great example of a disconnect in this community lol. No offense to anyone, but it’s just how things are actually considered issues and not.
> > >
> > > ‘The reason why you are struggling with the new gameplay’ (343i’s perspective): You haven’t tried the ‘casual’ gameplay, such as Warzone, to learn how to use abilities faster and get used to the new controls. Give that a try. (I’m aware you said that above, I’m just displaying how this game was actually designed in how to ‘learn’)
> > >
> > > The real reason why you are struggling with new gameplay: MMR and placement games pushes you to play against people who have played this game far more than you have played this game. You are then put into a scenario where you are, essentially, the person in the classroom that has to ‘learn’ while the others already know the information. It puts you at an extreme disadvantage. After playing the placement games, you now rank in MMR and CSR as the people you just played with, pushing you to actually keep playing terrible in this particular playlist until you stop playing, get frustrated, and mention it on here.
> > >
> > > Solution: Fix MMR or completely remove it from the matching. This is also the reason why the ‘social’ options are ‘sweaty’. This is also the reason why you are playing against a Plat. 6 with 13Ds played in the game, when you are a Gold 1 with 2 hours played in this game. Anyone notice the problem here? Lol. It’s not that the Plat 6 is ‘bad’, as he went 16 and 12 compared to “A Shy Very Shy guy”'s 2 and 10. It’s that “A Very Shy Guy” is playing his top 10 placements against people that are fare more familiar and far more skilled at this title than him, resulting in him ranking then as a Gold 1, which will put him directly on track with the Gold in that game who received 19 kills and 11 deaths. Oh wait. Notice the inconsistencies yet?
> > >
> > > Within 1 day, I just saw two posts, nearly identical, with two different solutions. The other one said “Get teammates” and this one said “Play warzone”. Neither are solutions to what is wrong lol. The solution to even the “Social slayer felt too competitive” is also this.
> > > It’s kind of like how I saw this Champ 100 something in Slayer when I created an alt account to for my nephew to play on. There is virtually no reason why a Champion should rank with someone new to this game, regardless if they ‘could be an alt’ or not. That’s kind of what is alienating people from ranked playlists, ya know? lol.
> >
> > I’m not saying you’re wrong, but what you’re describing is a different issue. When it comes to my disdain for H5 ranked multiplayer, I can differentiate between the skill level of the people I’m playing against and the actual attributes of the game. Halo has gotten too fast paced and chaotic in my opinion. Initially getting stomped when starting off in a halo is nothing new to me, it’s happened since Halo 3 when I took my gaming online for the first time, but I loved that game’s multiplayer.
>
> Yes, Halo has gotten fast paced. I’m not disagreeing with that lol. I’m simply saying that if the ranking system was different, you probably wouldn’t even notice ‘fast paced’ gameplay until you got used to how the mechanics of the game even worked properly. I went off in a tangent before, but it’s just a valid point that should mark some flags of “Wait…I just started this game two hours ago. Why am I playing against someone with nearly two weeks played?” lol.

I probably would have had a bit more fun yes, but I also definitely would have noticed the fast paced gameplay, and my opinion would be the same, i.e. that it’s not right for halo. It still wouldn’t have inspired me to buy the game.

All of what I’ve been saying is just that though, my opinion. To each their own.

> 2533274939504981;6:
> I’ve mainly been playing ranked slayer, but I have played other versus multiplayer modes and they have the same problem I’m describing. The combat in social big team battle has the same issue IMO, time to kill is way too low and it feels too fast paced.
>
> For me, the main draw of Halo has been and will always be the ‘ranked’ versus multiplayer modes.
>
> I definitely will try out the other modes. I feel like this game could be great. My opinion is that, with respect to multiplayer, it needs to be dialled back a bit though.

I guess if ranked is your thing, my advice won’t be very helpful, but I totally understand how the gameplay seems so much more fast-paced nowadays :confused:

> 2533274801808070;7:
> Within 1 day, I just saw two posts, nearly identical, with two different solutions. The other one said “Get teammates” and this one said “Play warzone”.

By the way, this is off-topic, but I would never tell someone new to Halo 5 to play Warzone. It won’t be very fun without any reqs (or loadouts!) so I don’t think anybody should be thinking of Warzone as the mode in which to learn the game mechanics.

> 2533274904158628;15:
> > 2533274939504981;6:
> >
>
>
>
> > 2533274801808070;7:
> > Within 1 day, I just saw two posts, nearly identical, with two different solutions. The other one said “Get teammates” and this one said “Play warzone”.
>
> By the way, this is off-topic, but I would never tell someone new to Halo 5 to play Warzone. It won’t be very fun without any reqs (or loadouts!) so I don’t think anybody should be thinking of Warzone as the mode in which to learn the game mechanics.

Someone else’s exact quote: “Before you give up on it completely i highly recommend playing some Warzone and Firefight.”
I am just simply being a little sarcastic/punny and saying that it’s not the best alternative to what actually is a broken matchmaking system lol. No offense to you guys what so ever. I personally believe and have noticed that the placement games, accompanied by MMR, have been what is alienating new players into this game; and the things keeping ‘existing’ ones that ‘dislike’ ranked to only play Warzone. I honestly would tell someone new to try out Warzone currently, but that’s what my problem is…you should just start off at ‘level 1’ instead of starting off at ‘whatever it puts you at after 10 games’ and now you’re stuck just deranking until you learn how to play the game better. Ya know?

> 2533274801808070;16:
> > 2533274904158628;15:
> > > 2533274939504981;6:
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > > 2533274801808070;7:
> > > Within 1 day, I just saw two posts, nearly identical, with two different solutions. The other one said “Get teammates” and this one said “Play warzone”.
> >
> > By the way, this is off-topic, but I would never tell someone new to Halo 5 to play Warzone. It won’t be very fun without any reqs (or loadouts!) so I don’t think anybody should be thinking of Warzone as the mode in which to learn the game mechanics.
>
> Someone else’s exact quote: “Before you give up on it completely i highly recommend playing some Warzone and Firefight.”
> I am just simply being a little sarcastic/punny and saying that it’s not the best alternative to what actually is a broken matchmaking system lol. No offense to you guys what so ever. I personally believe and have noticed that the placement games, accompanied by MMR, have been what is alienating new players into this game; and the things keeping ‘existing’ ones that ‘dislike’ ranked to only play Warzone. I honestly would tell someone new to try out Warzone currently, but that’s what my problem is…you should just start off at ‘level 1’ instead of starting off at ‘whatever it puts you at after 10 games’ and now you’re stuck just deranking until you learn how to play the game better. Ya know?

Heroic warzone firefight isn’t a bad place for new players. Sure they won’t have many reqs, if any. But you can make a contribution using load outs taking out grunts, Forerunner soldiers, elites, ect… or gun in vehicles. It would help learn mechanics, aiming and give them good RP payouts for packs.

> 2533274904158628;15:
> > 2533274939504981;6:
> > I’ve mainly been playing ranked slayer, but I have played other versus multiplayer modes and they have the same problem I’m describing. The combat in social big team battle has the same issue IMO, time to kill is way too low and it feels too fast paced.
> >
> > For me, the main draw of Halo has been and will always be the ‘ranked’ versus multiplayer modes.
> >
> > I definitely will try out the other modes. I feel like this game could be great. My opinion is that, with respect to multiplayer, it needs to be dialled back a bit though.
>
> I guess if ranked is your thing, my advice won’t be very helpful, but I totally understand how the gameplay seems so much more fast-paced nowadays :confused:
>
>
> > 2533274801808070;7:
> > Within 1 day, I just saw two posts, nearly identical, with two different solutions. The other one said “Get teammates” and this one said “Play warzone”.
>
> By the way, this is off-topic, but I would never tell someone new to Halo 5 to play Warzone. It won’t be very fun without any reqs (or loadouts!) so I don’t think anybody should be thinking of Warzone as the mode in which to learn the game mechanics.

Completely agree about Warzone! You just get destroyed. OP I’m just trying everything out and seeing what suits me the best and work my way up from there.

> 2533274904158628;5:
> > 2533274939504981;1:
> > This is not a good Halo game in my opinion. I’ve mainly been playing ranked slayer.
>
> Nooga beat me to it, but I was going to say, if you’re judging Halo 5 based solely on its ranked slayer, then you’re missing a lot of what the game has to offer. Personally, I play and enjoy Halo 5 all the time, but I don’t touch anything in ranked. I hope you enjoy the other modes when you try them.

I agree with NATENOOOOOOOO in the fact that ranked games aren’ the best. I do play them but only to earn commendations. I would recommend grifball under social, warzone, and warzone firefight. Don’t give up on it yet. I agree it isn’t the best in the series but it’s not a horrible game.

I started mp 2 days ago and I feel pretty much the same way. Learning new maps and the speed of h5 is rough. It’s a steep learning curve no doubt.