Played halo 2 online the other day and let me tell you

Ok i played halo 2 online the other day, well not on xbox live but through XBConnect, and i just wanted to explain something. Btw, i’m making this thread in the halo 4 section because it pertains to a lot of the topics here.

First of all, the experience was amazing. As soon as i started playing, nostalgia took over and i got very happy…i played for like 4 hours. Played team slayer, capture the flag, zombies, SWAT etc. Basically i almost lived those 2004 days where all i did was play halo.

The thing is that i see a lot of threads here asking for halo to be trimmed down back to how simple yet amazing it was in the halo 2 era. Now after playing for so long i realized something, which was that i was only running on nostalgia and i just couldn’t get the same feeling i used to be able to get while playing. That was largely due to the environment back then, playing with friends, having nothing to worry about, plus the lack of anyyy other competitive online games.

I know that’s something we already know, but what i figured was that no matter how simple or how close to halo 2 they make halo 4, it just can’t be the same. When i played it a few days ago, i loved every moment of it, but i kinda had to shift myself back in time and ignore the problems that were visible. I just can’t see myself playing something like that now because we’re soo used to the changes that have happened in online gaming.

Basically what i’m trying to say is that innovation is very important, in theory yes they could make halo 4 how halo was back in the day but it’s not going to work practically. The cool thing is that no matter how many new things we have, they can always make CLASSIC playlists for people that wanna play that way. So we really shouldn’t be afraid of changes unless they’re totally gamebreaking like ‘iron sights’.

Your logic is very logical

I approve of this thread.

I don’t believe in the whole nostalgia thing. I did not stop playing Halo 2 after Halo 3 came out and Halo 3 was not that good. Now when Reach comes out by the logic of nostalgia I should love Halo 3 but I don’t. Halo 3 is still a let down in my eyes as is Reach. I still love Halo 2.

> I don’t believe in the whole nostalgia thing. I did not stop playing Halo 2 after Halo 3 came out and Halo 3 was not that good. Now when Reach comes out by the logic of nostalgia I should love Halo 3 but I don’t. Halo 3 is still a let down in my eyes as is Reach. I still love Halo 2.

You’re “logic of nostalgia” is wrong.

Nostalgia: A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past.

Let’s say there’s three activities: A, B, and C (Because I’m original like that…). You really enjoyed activity A. Now, a lot of time passes and eventually activity B is introduced. You try out activity B but aren’t satisfied with it. So you go back to activity A. Eventually another activity is introduced, activity C. Now you don’t really like activity C but you still aren’t satisfied with activity B. You still enjoy activity A a lot but that doesn’t mean that you like or will have nostalgic feels for activity B just because activity C is introduced.

Ω

XBC and XLINK do not count as a Halo experience they are both junk. The only thing that they prove is that even through massive lag you’re aim assist will still get you kills(which is a good thing because aim assist helps kids that aren’t so good have fun. When I think what made Halo 2 fun for me I think map layouts. I’m not saying 343 should make Halo 4 be Halo 2.5… I’m saying that Halo 2 nailed basic gameplay and maps. Take those key things from Halo 2 and mold some other new crazy stuff in their and I’ll be happy.

As long as poor map layout exists (Looks at most Halo 3 and all of Halo 2 up until CEA)the games will never be good. It’s like how Call of Duty maps are all built now to have like 8 huge chokepoints on the map. You get your team at a couple chokepoints and the other team at a couple chokepoints nobody is moving around the map. If a map doesn’t have a constant circular movement around the map their is a good chance the map sucks. Examples of the maps I’m talking about are mostly arena style maps like Warlock, Midship, Foundation, Backwash, etc…

> > I don’t believe in the whole nostalgia thing. I did not stop playing Halo 2 after Halo 3 came out and Halo 3 was not that good. Now when Reach comes out by the logic of nostalgia I should love Halo 3 but I don’t. Halo 3 is still a let down in my eyes as is Reach. I still love Halo 2.
>
> You’re “logic of nostalgia” is wrong.
>
> Nostalgia: A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past.
>
> Let’s say there’s three activities: A, B, and C (Because I’m original like that…). You really enjoyed activity A. Now, a lot of time passes and eventually activity B is introduced. You try out activity B but aren’t satisfied with it. So you go back to activity A. Eventually another activity is introduced, activity C. Now you don’t really like activity C but you still aren’t satisfied with activity B. You still enjoy activity A a lot but that doesn’t mean that you like or will have nostalgic feels for activity B just because activity C is introduced.
>
> Ω

Regaurdless, My love for Halo 2 is not nostalgia. I’m still angry that MS took its online down.

> > > I don’t believe in the whole nostalgia thing. I did not stop playing Halo 2 after Halo 3 came out and Halo 3 was not that good. Now when Reach comes out by the logic of nostalgia I should love Halo 3 but I don’t. Halo 3 is still a let down in my eyes as is Reach. I still love Halo 2.
> >
> > You’re “logic of nostalgia” is wrong.
> >
> > Nostalgia: A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past.
> >
> > Let’s say there’s three activities: A, B, and C (Because I’m original like that…). You really enjoyed activity A. Now, a lot of time passes and eventually activity B is introduced. You try out activity B but aren’t satisfied with it. So you go back to activity A. Eventually another activity is introduced, activity C. Now you don’t really like activity C but you still aren’t satisfied with activity B. You still enjoy activity A a lot but that doesn’t mean that you like or will have nostalgic feels for activity B just because activity C is introduced.
> >
> > Ω
>
> Regaurdless, My love for Halo 2 is not nostalgia. I’m still angry that MS took its online down.

I figured, the level of nostalgia varies from person to person. From one extreme (little/none) to the other(mainly/full).

Ω

xbox connect? halo 2 online??? enlighten me.

i came late to the halo party, so i was never granted the blessing to play Halo 2 online. could someone explain how xbox connect works, how much it costs, and how i can get it??

Same here, I brought my old xbox to school for fun a long time ago and my friend brung Halo 2, when I first played slayer on Lockout…it felt amazing, everything started to come back, I hope H4 does the same

Innovation can happen all it wants to aslong as the game still doesnt suck IE Reach.

> xbox connect? halo 2 online??? enlighten me.
>
> i came late to the halo party, so i was never granted the blessing to play Halo 2 online. could someone explain how xbox connect works, how much it costs, and how i can get it??

yea wtf is xbconnect not saying your lieing but ive never heard of it i want it

I’ve heard of that, just got halo 2 again, how do i get xbconnect and how does it work

I got nostalgia for Uncharted 2 about something I did the day before. It is always better than the real thing, except in the case of Tranquilizer gun+ riot shield. Yes, doing what you used to do in gaming is always fun, but modern games have more possibilities (except halo 2 has much more).

here is where you can get xbconnect your welcome

When I saw the title I was so close to reporting for spam and then I read this awesome post

Halo 2 was the best game ever, when I go back and play Halo 3 after playing Reach for a while, I rediscover what made the Halo franchise so magical.

Everything on 2 and 3 was so balanced. Amazing maps, movement speed, weapon spawns and combinations. But like someelse said, it really was the maps and the ranks of 1-50 that made Halo 2-3 so magical. I still love playing on Zanzibar on Halo 3 and Valhalla is excellent too.

Halo 2 isn’t about nostalgia or rose tinted goggles, it’s about a standard, like an amazing movie, that has yet to be beat. Halo 3 came close with it’s amazing campaign but the multiplayer didn’t quite have the maps that 2 had.

> Regaurdless, My love for Halo 2 is not nostalgia. I’m still angry that MS took its online down.

THIS 1000000 TIMES OVER

> xbox connect? halo 2 online??? enlighten me.
>
> i came late to the halo party, so i was never granted the blessing to play Halo 2 online. could someone explain how xbox connect works, how much it costs, and how i can get it??

> I’ve heard of that, just got halo 2 again, how do i get xbconnect and how does it work

It’s basically playing system link through the internet. It uses the internet on your laptop or computer as a hub to connect you with people around the world who are using the program.
The only thing to note is that you need an ORIGINAL XBOX. It doesn’t work with xbox 360 because there’s a resriction on the ping.

> here is where you can get xbconnect your welcome

Thank this guy for providing the link. I don’t know if it’s against the rules to post links to this kind of program, but just youtube XBConnect or Xlink kai (two differen’t programs) to learn how to use it. With a laptop you just have to bridge connections but it’s pretty easy.

> Ok i played halo 2 online the other day, well not on xbox live but through XBConnect, and i just wanted to explain something. Btw, i’m making this thread in the halo 4 section because it pertains to a lot of the topics here.
>
> First of all, the experience was amazing. As soon as i started playing, nostalgia took over and i got very happy…i played for like 4 hours. Played team slayer, capture the flag, zombies, SWAT etc. Basically i almost lived those 2004 days where all i did was play halo.
>
> The thing is that i see a lot of threads here asking for halo to be trimmed down back to how simple yet amazing it was in the halo 2 era. Now after playing for so long i realized something, which was that i was only running on nostalgia and i just couldn’t get the same feeling i used to be able to get while playing. That was largely due to the environment back then, playing with friends, having nothing to worry about, plus the lack of anyyy other competitive online games.
>
> I know that’s something we already know, but what i figured was that no matter how simple or how close to halo 2 they make halo 4, it just can’t be the same. When i played it a few days ago, i loved every moment of it, but i kinda had to shift myself back in time and ignore the problems that were visible. I just can’t see myself playing something like that now because we’re soo used to the changes that have happened in online gaming.
>
>
> Basically what i’m trying to say is that innovation is very important, in theory yes they could make halo 4 how halo was back in the day but it’s not going to work practically. The cool thing is that no matter how many new things we have, they can always make CLASSIC playlists for people that wanna play that way. So we really shouldn’t be afraid of changes unless they’re totally gamebreaking like ‘iron sights’.

yeh which is why they shouldnt base H4 of H2 but rather CE. Go play CE on XBC and enlighten yourself.

also i dont think rip offs from shadow run count as “innovation”. Reach dookied on teh halo name, the next halo needs to have the fundamental down tight a la CE or even H2. New stuff is great but it has to accentuate traditional halo play, not tear it down mock it like AL or bloom did.