Playable elites will not be in Halo Infinite

So 343 just confirmed elites will not be playable in Halo Infinite and their reason being that this is Master Chief story and Spartan story. This seems like a pretty weak argument considering playable elites are probably the number one most requested thing to return and its a huge bummer to hear they’re not going to be playable. It sucks too because elites look so good in infinite and with talks of them doing story DLC could have meant that we could have gotten an Arbiter DLC or something. Maybe they’ll add them post launch but they really should be there day one.

They confirmed this in the latest Ask343

Source #Ask343​ | Halo Infinite – Zeta Halo - YouTube

Yep. We were discussing this in another thread as well. So bummed out about this. 10 years of asking and no love.

I get why people are disappointed, but esports makes this difficult because of the competitive fairness. They could bring them back later in the life cycle of the game however for custom games.

> 2533274792737987;3:
> I get why people are disappointed, but esports makes this difficult because of the competitive fairness. They could bring them back later in the life cycle of the game however for custom games.

If they were concerned about competitive games, just have it so you can only play as elites in customs or in certain game modes like invasion, which is essentially what reach did. It’s such a simple fix.

> 2533274932512744;4:
> > 2533274792737987;3:
> > I get why people are disappointed, but esports makes this difficult because of the competitive fairness. They could bring them back later in the life cycle of the game however for custom games.
>
> If they were concerned about competitive games, just have it so you can only play as elites in customs or in certain game modes like invasion, which is essentially what reach did. It’s such a simple fix.

You just answered why they don’t have them. They need to get the game right before trying to add things that the majority of people do not use. People who played elites were the minority in all of the Halo games, and having to have the overhead with the launch it is probably too much. They can run the numbers and see how many people use them, and it probably isn’t as high as we think. People just use confirmation bias on the forums and think it is a lot of people which is false. Bringing elites to Halo Infinite on launch will not be a game changer for the majority of the player base also and therefore not priority.

I get why people want them even though I disagree. How about we get a fun experience that keeps a large amount of it’s player base for the first year first?

Absolute -Yoinking!- -Yoink-, I’ll simply not buy the game till they add them in. I got no problem just playing MCC.

Can I and my brothers please get an F in the chat? We struggled hard for the last decade to get Elites back only to have been ignored.

It’s hard to see this decision, the Elites aren’t different from Spartan!

> 2535449082866631;6:
> Absolute -Yoinking!- -Yoink-, I’ll simply not buy the game till they add them in. I got no problem just playing MCC.

MCC is really difficult lately for some reason, I don’t know what happened but Matchmaking has been extremely rough on me and my friends.

Make ranked play spartans only. Although I don’t think it ever mattered in halo 3 whether someone was an elite or Spartan. I’m still looking forward to infinite but this is serious blow to the hype train for me. I have always played elites as they are my favorite part of the halo universe along with the arbiter. I thought infinites return to the glory days would include playable elites as so much of the community has asked for it. Guess I was wrong. Shame

No excuse for this. Unacceptable.

I totally understand that the models and animations will be a large amount of extra work - especially giving them any meaningful customisation - and so from that perspective I can entirely understand and support the decision to not do this at launch, but i really hope that the community reaction here demonstrates that, while absolutely not a core feature it is something which people care about very strongly and would be good to bring in further down the line for the community’s sake.

Why wasn’t it such an issue in H2 and H3? - because they already had to do that work for Campaign.

To those who are against-playable Elites, I respect your opinions about feel etc. and I agree that some modes (esp-competitive) should be Spartan only.

In comparison to the dual-wielding which is clearly a whole other issue around balance, this is something which the only good reason for not doing is time and resources as any criticisms of playable elites from a gameplay perspective can be easily solved with restrictions.

> 2533274792737987;3:
> I get why people are disappointed, but esports makes this difficult because of the competitive fairness. They could bring them back later in the life cycle of the game however for custom games.

I don’t see why this should be a problem. If certain players hate it so much then they shouldn’t pick it…I don’t get why a few average players should decide the fate of a majority of the fanbase.

> 2533274829873463;13:
> > 2533274792737987;3:
> > I get why people are disappointed, but esports makes this difficult because of the competitive fairness. They could bring them back later in the life cycle of the game however for custom games.
>
> I don’t see why this should be a problem. If certain players hate it so much then they shouldn’t pick it…I don’t get why a few average players should decide the fate of a majority of the fanbase.

Few average players? The minority plays as Elites and most of the majority hates going again Elites. Not sure on your logic. I want to know how you generalize “average” because almost all Elite players I go against are average at the game. Regardless the skill level at the game doesn’t matter. If Elites were so popular they would of been seen more in Halo 3/Reach or MCC. They are by far the minority and everyone I game with hates going against them. An Arena shooter should have character model balance.

> 2533274792737987;14:
> > 2533274829873463;13:
> > > 2533274792737987;3:
> > > I get why people are disappointed, but esports makes this difficult because of the competitive fairness. They could bring them back later in the life cycle of the game however for custom games.
> >
> > I don’t see why this should be a problem. If certain players hate it so much then they shouldn’t pick it…I don’t get why a few average players should decide the fate of a majority of the fanbase.
>
> Few average players? The minority plays as Elites and most of the majority hates going again Elites. Not sure on your logic. I want to know how you generalize “average” because almost all Elite players I go against are average at the game. Regardless the skill level at the game doesn’t matter. If Elites were so popular they would of been seen more in Halo 3/Reach or MCC. They are by far the minority and everyone I game with hates going against them. An Arena shooter should have character model balance.

Umm Esports is not the majority of the players. I don’t see why my experience should be downgraded just because a few gamers got mad at players trying to enjoy the game a different way. The ‘majority’ don’t have the choice to play Elites in modern Halo games. Plenty of people have played as Elites in MCC and classic Halo so not sure why you’re claiming that there isn’t. I know nobody that hates playing against Elites.

> 2533274829873463;15:
> > 2533274792737987;14:
> > > 2533274829873463;13:
> > > > 2533274792737987;3:
> > > > I get why people are disappointed, but esports makes this difficult because of the competitive fairness. They could bring them back later in the life cycle of the game however for custom games.
> > >
> > > I don’t see why this should be a problem. If certain players hate it so much then they shouldn’t pick it…I don’t get why a few average players should decide the fate of a majority of the fanbase.
> >
> > Few average players? The minority plays as Elites and most of the majority hates going again Elites. Not sure on your logic. I want to know how you generalize “average” because almost all Elite players I go against are average at the game. Regardless the skill level at the game doesn’t matter. If Elites were so popular they would of been seen more in Halo 3/Reach or MCC. They are by far the minority and everyone I game with hates going against them. An Arena shooter should have character model balance.
>
> Umm Esports is not the majority of the players. I don’t see why my experience should be downgraded just because a few gamers got mad at players trying to enjoy the game a different way. The ‘majority’ don’t have the choice to play Elites in modern Halo games. Plenty of people have played as Elites in MCC and classic Halo so not sure why you’re claiming that there isn’t. I know nobody that hates playing against Elites.

Not sure why the majority of players which play Spartans should have their experience downgraded because people want to play as Elites if you want to continue that logic. During Halo 3 and Halo Reach the minority played Elites. The majority by far has always played as Spartans even when the option knowingly existed. I am unsure how old you are or if you played Halo 3 and Halo Reach when they launched, but Elites were barely played in both games.

I know plenty of people who hate going against them because the hit boxes felt weird because of the character model which shouldn’t be in an arena shooter. Add Elites to Socials and Customs, but that can wait until after launch.

> 2533274792737987;16:
> > 2533274829873463;15:
> > > 2533274792737987;14:
> > > > 2533274829873463;13:
> > > > > 2533274792737987;3:
> > > > > I get why people are disappointed, but esports makes this difficult because of the competitive fairness. They could bring them back later in the life cycle of the game however for custom games.
> > > >
> > > > I don’t see why this should be a problem. If certain players hate it so much then they shouldn’t pick it…I don’t get why a few average players should decide the fate of a majority of the fanbase.
> > >
> > > Few average players? The minority plays as Elites and most of the majority hates going again Elites. Not sure on your logic. I want to know how you generalize “average” because almost all Elite players I go against are average at the game. Regardless the skill level at the game doesn’t matter. If Elites were so popular they would of been seen more in Halo 3/Reach or MCC. They are by far the minority and everyone I game with hates going against them. An Arena shooter should have character model balance.
> >
> > Umm Esports is not the majority of the players. I don’t see why my experience should be downgraded just because a few gamers got mad at players trying to enjoy the game a different way. The ‘majority’ don’t have the choice to play Elites in modern Halo games. Plenty of people have played as Elites in MCC and classic Halo so not sure why you’re claiming that there isn’t. I know nobody that hates playing against Elites.
>
> Not sure why the majority of players which play Spartans should have their experience downgraded because people want to play as Elites if you want to continue that logic. During Halo 3 and Halo Reach the minority played Elites. The majority by far has always played as Spartans even when the option knowingly existed. I am unsure how old you are or if you played Halo 3 and Halo Reach when they launched, but Elites were barely played in both games.
>
> I know plenty of people who hate going against them because the hit boxes felt weird because of the character model which shouldn’t be in an arena shooter. Add Elites to Socials and Customs, but that can wait until after launch.

Not sure why you’re claiming the majority don’t want something when it’s a popular request for return. You are not the majority of people. I don’t see why I and many others should have ‘our’ experience downgraded just because a few players can’t deal with other players having choice. I’ve seen barely anyone complaining about ‘hit boxs’ and very few stopping it from ruining of their game.

Playable Elites are fine in all PVP modes. ‘Weird’ collision detection can be ‘fixed’ so your excuse makes no sense since these games require testing before release. Never had any problems with hitting Elites and it makes me seriously wonder how bad some players are if they can’t hit an Elite.

> 2533274829873463;17:
> > 2533274792737987;16:
> > > 2533274829873463;15:
> > > > 2533274792737987;14:
> > > > > 2533274829873463;13:
> > > > > > 2533274792737987;3:
> > > > > > I get why people are disappointed, but esports makes this difficult because of the competitive fairness. They could bring them back later in the life cycle of the game however for custom games.
> > > > >
> > > > > I don’t see why this should be a problem. If certain players hate it so much then they shouldn’t pick it…I don’t get why a few average players should decide the fate of a majority of the fanbase.
> > > >
> > > > Few average players? The minority plays as Elites and most of the majority hates going again Elites. Not sure on your logic. I want to know how you generalize “average” because almost all Elite players I go against are average at the game. Regardless the skill level at the game doesn’t matter. If Elites were so popular they would of been seen more in Halo 3/Reach or MCC. They are by far the minority and everyone I game with hates going against them. An Arena shooter should have character model balance.
> > >
> > > Umm Esports is not the majority of the players. I don’t see why my experience should be downgraded just because a few gamers got mad at players trying to enjoy the game a different way. The ‘majority’ don’t have the choice to play Elites in modern Halo games. Plenty of people have played as Elites in MCC and classic Halo so not sure why you’re claiming that there isn’t. I know nobody that hates playing against Elites.
> >
> > Not sure why the majority of players which play Spartans should have their experience downgraded because people want to play as Elites if you want to continue that logic. During Halo 3 and Halo Reach the minority played Elites. The majority by far has always played as Spartans even when the option knowingly existed. I am unsure how old you are or if you played Halo 3 and Halo Reach when they launched, but Elites were barely played in both games.
> >
> > I know plenty of people who hate going against them because the hit boxes felt weird because of the character model which shouldn’t be in an arena shooter. Add Elites to Socials and Customs, but that can wait until after launch.
>
> Not sure you’re claiming the majority don’t want something. You are not the majority of people. I don’t see why I and many others should have ‘our’ experience downgraded just because a few players can’t deal with other players having choice. I’ve seen barely anyone complaining about ‘hit boxs’ and very few stopping it from ruining of their game.
>
> Playable Elites are fine in all PVP modes. ‘Weird’ collision detection can be ‘fixed’ so your excuse makes no sense since these games require testing before release. Never had any problems with hitting Elites and it makes me seriously wonder how bad some players are if they can’t hit an Elite.

If you ever played Halo 3 or Halo Reach you can’t possibly tell me you played against majorly Elites. Halo was my childhood and I played Halo 3 specifically religiously. I can promise you without a single doubt in my body that Elites have never been even close to even half of the population. The fact that you do not know that tells me you are either trolling or just on the forums and play casually (which is perfectly fine). Elites are annoying to hit especially in Swat. I had basically all 50s in Halo 3 and Onyx plenty of times on Halo 5 so not sure about your last point.

Feel free to use the dedicated thread linked below.