Play the right game type.

So does anyone know what I hate more than anything else ever? When my teammates don’t seem to know how to play the game type they selected. I don’t know why some people choose a game type and then not play it the way it is supposed to be played. Let me give you an example: so I’ve been playing a considerable amount of CTF recently to take a break from my usual slayer matches only to find that half the time my teammates don’t seem to have a clue what’s going on. Either they all bum-rush for the enemy’s base in thinking “Oh, capture the flag, all I have to do is capture the flag” and think nothing about defense. Then when the opposing team does get our flag nobody doesn’t seem to understand the concept of “Kill the guy with our flag!”

Now those listed above at least have a vague sense of what the game type is all about, but what I really don’t understand is why people choose CTF when they obviously want to play slayer. I mean they make no effort to obtain the opposing team’s flag just the same as they provide no defense for our base (and FYI for those who make an attempt at defense at any time one guy does not cut it) but all they do is try to get kills.

I’m sure that I am not the only one to experience this either, I mean come on people if you want to get some kills play BTB, slayer, SWAT, or another of the game types that are dedicated to earning kills. Don’t ruin objective games you have no desire in playing.

Only a few of my team are like that.
To them, all gametypes collide into one giant type. Betray fest.

Something I find even more annoying than that is when the opposite gets the first cap and then one or two guys quit immediately!

> Something I find even more annoying than that is when the opposite gets the first cap and then one or two guys quit immediately!

Agreed.

There needs to be a stronger penalty on quitting.

OT: I stopped playing CTF after I mastered it, but I remember a few times when teammates would kill me for the flag, of kill me cause they think I did nothing, when I was trying to stop the enemy from capturing the flag, and died.

PS like your GT.

Players should play how they want to, not how you tell them they have to.

If you don’t want to play with randoms that do what they feel like then roll with a team.

That happens all the time i don’t get it.

> Players should play how they want to, not how you tell them they have to.
>
>
> If you don’t want to play with randoms that do what they feel like then roll with a team.

If players want to “play how they want to,” they should be playing custom games. Screwing around in competitive matchmaking playlists like CTF is unfair to other players. I’m all for players playing however they want, but their fun shouldn’t come at the expense of someone else’s.

Halo 4’s custom loadouts and Personal Ordnance both cater to the type of player who wants to play his way regardless of the win or what the team needs–a lone, teamwork-indifferent player. Thus, the majority of players left in Halo 4 will play indifferent to the team or the win.

OP, I get that a lot too. Halo 4’s inability to retain good players and match me with them is one of the many things that drove me away.

> Now those listed above at least have a vague sense of what the game type is all about, but what I really don’t understand is why people choose CTF when they obviously want to play slayer. I mean they make no effort to obtain the opposing team’s flag just the same as they provide no defense for our base (and FYI for those who make an attempt at defense at any time one guy does not cut it) but all they do is try to get kills.

Unfortunatley Halo 4’s progression system rewards such behaviour. The way the game awards xp offers very little incentive to a) win and b) work as a team. As a result theres also no real consequence from losing like there was in Halo 3. There’s a much greater weighting on individual performance.

This annoys me greatly too, but people are only doing what the system allows them to. 343 should really take into consideration how this system of reward underminds playing the actual game.

I always play to win, regardless of gametype, but I rarely cap flags. I also don’t play defense. I play to slay, and as it happens, CTF is (I think) my best gametype with respect to W/L. What some CTF players (sounds like OP included) don’t seem to realize is that it is entirely possible to play the objective by slaying. Case in point: it is a lot easier for my team to complete the objective when the opposing players are respawning constantly. I do see what you’re complaining about though, to an extent – even if you are going to just slay enemies in an objective game, you need to do it in the context of the objective, i.e. by slaying high value targets or enemies trying for your objective.

When I play CTF, I go to the middle of the map and try to secure power weapons. Once I do that, I try to maintain control of the middle and take out enemy vehicles. I almost never go into the enemy base, or even across the midline of the map (unless, e.g., its to get a suicide touch on the flag to reset the timer). I don’t care how good your team is, if you don’t control the laser on Ragnarok CTF, you are not going to win.

I also get annoyed with people who play the objective by being solely defense. Yes, a good strategy likely includes having ONE person on your team stay near the base to solely play defense. I think controlling the middle of the map, and killing everyone before they get to your base works a whole lot better though. And if you die while contesting the middle of the map, guess where you respawn? Back at your base where you can play defense.

Point being: in my experience, objective games are won more regularly if everyone on the team focuses first on killing, and second on the objective. As you yourself point out, OP, there is no point in mindlessly rushing the flag (well, sometimes it works if its quick enough to catch them by surprise) with no concern for killing or dying. The better approach is to kill everyone you see (or attempt to), and once they are dead, grab the flag and make a run for it. KOH is probably the only objective game where team k/d doesn’t necessarily correlate with greater win rate. Still, my philosophy for objective games is that the winning team should not only win the objective, but also have the better team k/d, because they go hand-in-hand.

Yes, one or two players will have to focus on infiltrating the base and getting the flag out, but even they should focus on killing before mindlessly rushing it. Everyone else should focus solely on killing/map control. That is the formula for success in objective games. The best defense is a good offense. Why wait until the enemy is in your base to kill them? Doesn’t it make more sense to kill them before they get across the middle of the map.

Same goes for people who park the Mantis behind the base in the name of “defense.” He can claim he’s playing the objective by defending it, but not using the mantis to slay over the map generally is detrimental to team success. Why? Because the enemy mantis will most likely be running amok near the center of the map, and your team will be left largely helpless against it. Once the enemy pushes control over the middle of the map, all your “defense” will be for naught, because the slaying power that comes with map control (and with it, power weapon control) will simply overwhelm your teams’ best efforts at defense. Symetrically spawning power weapons/vehicles need to counter the enemy team’s weapons/vehicles, and central spawning (i.e. contested) power weapons vehicles need to be controlled by your team in order to assure success. Both of those things require SLAYING first and foremost, with secondary focus on the objective, only after the slaying has made it practicable to do so.

I wish I had some objective data/infographic to prove it, but I don’t. Still, I am highly confident in positing that the team that is more successful in controlling the center of the map in CTF wins 95% of the time.

It’s better to work will these sorts of players than against them. For instance if I’m playing CTF and notice my team playing very agressive and bum rushing the flag, then I will play defensively and gaurd our flag. On the other hand if they are being passive and defending our flag more I’ll take the initiative and start making moves on the enemy flag.

If I’m paired with a bunch of players who are confusing CTF for slayer, then I’ll step up and be the flag running grunt. If they are just beating their heads against the objective wall, then I’ll do my best to fill the main slayers role.

You never know who your going to be paired with in matchmaking, that’s out of your control. What is under your control is how you adapt your playstyle to maximize the team potential and win the game regardless.

> I always play to win, regardless of gametype, but I rarely cap flags. I also don’t play defense. I play to slay, and as it happens, CTF is (I think) my best gametype with respect to W/L. What some CTF players (sounds like OP included) don’t seem to realize is that it is entirely possible to play the objective by slaying. Case in point: it is a lot easier for my team to complete the objective when the opposing players are respawning constantly. I do see what you’re complaining about though, to an extent – even if you are going to just slay enemies in an objective game, you need to do it in the context of the objective, i.e. by slaying high value targets or enemies trying for your objective.
>
> When I play CTF, I go to the middle of the map and try to secure power weapons. Once I do that, I try to maintain control of the middle and take out enemy vehicles. I almost never go into the enemy base, or even across the midline of the map (unless, e.g., its to get a suicide touch on the flag to reset the timer). I don’t care how good your team is, if you don’t control the laser on Ragnarok CTF, you are not going to win.
>
> I also get annoyed with people who play the objective by being solely defense. Yes, a good strategy likely includes having ONE person on your team stay near the base to solely play defense. I think controlling the middle of the map, and killing everyone before they get to your base works a whole lot better though. And if you die while contesting the middle of the map, guess where you respawn? Back at your base where you can play defense.
>
> Point being: in my experience, objective games are won more regularly if everyone on the team focuses first on killing, and second on the objective. As you yourself point out, OP, there is no point in mindlessly rushing the flag (well, sometimes it works if its quick enough to catch them by surprise) with no concern for killing or dying. The better approach is to kill everyone you see (or attempt to), and once they are dead, grab the flag and make a run for it. KOH is probably the only objective game where team k/d doesn’t necessarily correlate with greater win rate. Still, my philosophy for objective games is that the winning team should not only win the objective, but also have the better team k/d, because they go hand-in-hand.
>
> Yes, one or two players will have to focus on infiltrating the base and getting the flag out, but even they should focus on killing before mindlessly rushing it. Everyone else should focus solely on killing/map control. That is the formula for success in objective games. The best defense is a good offense. Why wait until the enemy is in your base to kill them? Doesn’t it make more sense to kill them before they get across the middle of the map.
>
> Same goes for people who park the Mantis behind the base in the name of “defense.” He can claim he’s playing the objective by defending it, but not using the mantis to slay over the map generally is detrimental to team success. Why? Because the enemy mantis will most likely be running amok near the center of the map, and your team will be left largely helpless against it. Once the enemy pushes control over the middle of the map, all your “defense” will be for naught, because the slaying power that comes with map control (and with it, power weapon control) will simply overwhelm your teams’ best efforts at defense. Symetrically spawning power weapons/vehicles need to counter the enemy team’s weapons/vehicles, and central spawning (i.e. contested) power weapons vehicles need to be controlled by your team in order to assure success. Both of those things require SLAYING first and foremost, with secondary focus on the objective, only after the slaying has made it practicable to do so.
>
> I wish I had some objective data/infographic to prove it, but I don’t. Still, I am highly confident in positing that the team that is more successful in controlling the center of the map in CTF wins 95% of the time.

Completely agree…I can’t count the number of games that my team has won because the OTHER team had that one dude (or more) sitting in the back of the base “defending”. Staying out of the action and defending while your team is attacking will only cause your team to be a man down, likely lose the battle, lose map control, get pushed back into their base/spawn. This allows the attacking team with map control to get more flag touch opportunities.

I honestly find single players that go into objective games and expect a bunch of random players to play how they think they should play far more annoying. I don’t play objective for the sole reason that I don’t have a coordinated team to go play it with.

People clearly don’t understand (including op) how to play CTF. CTF is all about slaying. In order to pull a flag it requires slaying. Try pulling a flag when all 5 players are up. Try winning a game when no one on your team attempts to slay (regardless of whether they cap a flag or not).

Lets say I get 40 kills in a CTF game because I am slaying, constantly putting pressure on the enemy. Assuming each respawn time is the default 10 seconds, that means that the enemy team will spend 400 seconds in the respawn screen. Tell me that doesn’t make capping easier?

The worst people in CTF are those who camp at the base (whether they are going for kills or just defending the objective). If you are outside of the firefight, that means that it is now a 4v5 situation in which your team is destined to loose. This makes capping a flag for your team incredibly hard. Also it means that you yourself will have to defend a possible 1v3-5 situation after they have slayed your team (no thanks to your contribution).

Put the crappy players to good use by slaying the enemy so they can successfully cap the flag. That or just play with teammates you can rely on and communicate with.

> Put the crappy players to good use by slaying the enemy so they can successfully cap the flag. That or just play with teammates you can rely on and communicate with.

So much this.

BTW, I’m the guy capping the flag.

Because I’m worthless to do anything else.

> What some CTF players (sounds like OP included) don’t seem to realize is that it is entirely possible to play the objective by slaying. Case in point: it is a lot easier for my team to complete the objective when the opposing players are respawning constantly. I do see what you’re complaining about though, to an extent – <mark>even if you are going to just slay enemies in an objective game, you need to do it in the context of the objective, i.e. by slaying high value targets or enemies trying for your objective.</mark>

> People clearly don’t understand (including op) how to play CTF. CTF is all about slaying.

I absolutely agree that slaying is most of what CTF is about–the team who is overall better at slaying will likely win. However, I do believe that OP is referring to players who slay without regard to the objective.

For example, on Adrift, someone takes your flag and starts running it around the left side, avoiding the middle. Your teammate is staying in the middle/right side, not going for the stolen flag, but instead holding his “important” position, even though he could easily be the difference between the other team capturing or not capturing that flag. This is an example of slaying outside the context of the objective, and it is bad teamwork.

I hear yeah man, Im trying to max out my ctf victory but its going slower.

50% of my ctf games are my teammates doing nothing and not going for the other teams flag which my team always losses.

40% of my games are my teammates pushing to much with no defense but me and trying to gets kills and they even fail at that which my teams losses. I mean seriously?

10% are my ctf games are won because I have good teammates and we use skill and teamwork even without mics half the time. Only time I can get a victory in CTF.

The most annoying thing about CTF with bad teammates is when the other team pulls the flag but dies instantly and all four of your teammates will literally sit on top of the flag until it returns - despite the flag being only 3 foot from home. It must happen 50% of games I play and usually leads to 15 seconds of literally nothing happening.

No i don’t ever have this problem because i always play with a full team/party.

So team work and communication is good for the most part

Its a simple fix.

Dissolve kd in objective games. Then people who play only to benefit kd won’t play objective anymore. Win/loss should be the only thing counted.

> Its a simple fix.
>
> Dissolve kd in objective games. Then people who play only to benefit kd won’t play objective anymore. Win/loss should be the only thing counted.

Been saying this for god knows how long