Plasma Repeater Vs Storm Rifle...

The question is the title… which is better?

To me, the Type-51 Plasma Repeater is better, both in design and functionality… which apparently is the Type-55 Storm Rifle’s predecessor…

The Storm Rifle and Plasma Repeater have similar functions as a energy directed automatic rifle… in the form of plasma. The Plasma Repeater is of smaller length, height and width to the Storm Rifle… and so lower weight. The Plasma Repeater also has a deheat function seen in Halo: Reach… to control the overheat, rather than the Storm Rifle’s crude imitation.

The design of the Plasma Repeater is more fitting to the Covenant design of weaponry… the Storm Rifle is more, or less, a very dastardly replica… and nothing more.

To me this is why the Storm Covenant should have the Plasma Repeater, and not the Storm Rifle… I know the Covenant “Storm” Remnant are wanted to be seen as independent of the old Covenant Empire… and the Arbiter… yet I have seen them on the Battle of Draetheus V with Plasma Repeaters… so kinda silly not to have them.

Or if that is not a suitable request… 343 Industries allow the Arbiter’s forces to have to older (classic) versions of the weaponry to dignify both Covenant forces… Arbiters Separatist Elites… and the Didact’s Hands Storm Remnant.

I gotta say that I love using the Storm Rifle in Halo 4, but I definitely prefer the design and function of the Plasma Repeater. Not only does it look more in-line with the rest of the Covenant weapons, as you’ve already pointed out, but the cool down mechanic is really unique and interesting too. As it is now, the Storm Rifle is nothing special, as it just overheats instead of using ammo.

And yes, the Plasma Repeater is an older weapon compared to the Storm Rifle, which is why the Covenant Remnant should use it instead. I mean, they have an older variation of the Phantom and Beam Rifle, and their armour isn’t quite as protective as the old Covenant forces’, so why should they have a top of the line rifle?

So yeah, my vote goes to Plasma Repeater, all the way!

Halo 4 Storm Rifle ≈ Assault Rifle.

However, I do like how powerful the Storm Rifle feels. I think it would be cool if the Storm Rifle were buffed to make it an automatic power weapon, similar to the SAW. This way, the Plasma Repeater and Storm Rifle could coexist and have separate and distinct niches.

Storm Rifle looks 100% covenant guys. Look at it’s curves, colors, all that.

Not to mention it’s a little more accurate than the Repeater.

Repeater for me.

But I’d say give both the Storm and Ex-Covie factions their own weapon of choice.
Storm Rifle for the Storm, Repeater (and for the love of God bring back the Plasma Rifle!) for the ex Covies under Arby’s command.

As for Multiplayer…I’d say just have the Plasma Rifle return as a standard Covie weapon and have both others be for Forge/Customs/Fiesta/SpartanOps/Firefight.

Turn the Storm rifle into the Covenant version of the SAW, and bring back Repeater (tweak its damage and accuracy a little bit) as the new Covie Assault Rifle, and bring back Plasma Rifle as the covie version of the SMG.

With unique things in all of them of course.
No complete copies.

Visually I prefer the Storm Rifle and as far as sound design goes I prefer the Repeater.

That said they are basically the same weapon. They are functional clones just like most auto weapons post-CE. The last functionally unique auto weapon we have had was the ODST SMG.

I don’t care which one is used as long as they continue to perform as they do. Same goes for the plasma rifle which has not been an interesting weapon since it was introduced in CE.

Dual wielding and loadouts have turned nearly all auto weapons into the same ‘SMG’ style weapon. Its all a bunch of smoke and mirrors pretending to give us ‘variety.’

Let me know if either weapon gets a personality of its own so the discussion will have meaning.

Get rid of them both. No one really likes either of them.

They should definitely bring back the needle rifle since it’s much better and more fun to use than either of the other two.

I want the classic Plasma Rifle back.
I’m a bit indifferent on the Needle Rifle, (per Dsight’s comment), I like using it, but man, it is annoying in the hands of a Skirmisher.

I prefer the look and feel of the storm rifle. But I’m with MrMartini85, I want the Plasma rifle. :slight_smile:

Visually, in my opinion, the Storm Rifle is the best-looking Covenant auto in the series. The Plasma repeater was kinda bleh.

I think if something were done to the Storm Rifle to add an additional function like my overcharge mode, and the addition of headshot multipliers with the repeater’s heat venting was added, the Storm Rifle would be a weapon that is both more fun and unique to use.

Overcharge is a mode that can be engaged that doubles the fire-rate of the weapon and increases the heat of the plasma thus increasing damage. However this is balanced by loss of accuracy and battery life. (7% per two shots.) However this feature is still kept by the slowing of the RoF as the weapon itself begins to seethe with heat. (Which is why the Repeater Vent is needed to balance overcharge.)

> Halo 4 Storm Rifle ≈ Assault Rifle.
>
> However, I do like how powerful the Storm Rifle feels. I think it would be cool if the Storm Rifle were buffed to make it an automatic power weapon, similar to the SAW. This way, the Plasma Repeater and Storm Rifle could coexist and have separate and distinct niches.

You know… It even kinda looks like an alien SAW…

> > Halo 4 Storm Rifle ≈ Assault Rifle.
> >
> > However, I do like how powerful the Storm Rifle feels. I think it would be cool if the Storm Rifle were buffed to make it an automatic power weapon, similar to the SAW. This way, the Plasma Repeater and Storm Rifle could coexist and have separate and distinct niches.
>
> You know… It even kinda looks like an alien SAW…

Looks way more like a Carbine to me…

Uhhhh, neither. I want the Plasma Rifle back. If I had to choose one, I’d go with the Plasma Repeater. The Storm Rifle disgusts me.

The plasma repeater is very similar to the storm rifle in function besides with the cooling function and both are basically alien versions of ARs , but I think the storm rifle is more powerful then the plasma repeater in terms of rof and damage . It is mostly down to aesthetics in which I don’t care about. As for the plasma rifle it was pretty useless in most cases and it’s role can be filled pretty easily by the SMG and the AR.

I don’t know it can be balanced without making it like a storm rifle, plasma repeater, or even the suppressor I guess thats why they forgone it in multiplayer in reach and never bothered to design it in halo 4.

> <mark>The Plasma Repeater is very similar to the Plasma Repeater in function</mark> besides with the cooling function and both are basically alien versions of ARs , but I think the storm rifle is more powerful then the plasma repeater in terms of rof and damage . It is mostly down to aesthetics in which I don’t care about. As for the plasma rifle it was pretty useless in most cases and it’s role can be filled pretty easily by the SMG and the AR.
>
> I don’t know it can be balanced without making it like a storm rifle, plasma repeater, or even the suppressor I guess thats why they forgone it in multiplayer in reach and never bothered to design it in halo 4.

Oh really lol…

The Storm Rifle with the CE Plasma Rifle mechanics.

That would satisfy me for the next one hundred billion eternities.

Neither. Can’t stand the “Purple Shark” or the “Pebble Spitter.”

Old-school Plasma Rifle.

I want this back but with the power of the Halo: CE Plasma Rifle (seriously why replace it?) and the ability to vent manually like the Plasma Repeater.

> > <mark>The Plasma Repeater is very similar to the Plasma Repeater in function</mark> besides with the cooling function and both are basically alien versions of ARs , but I think the storm rifle is more powerful then the plasma repeater in terms of rof and damage . It is mostly down to aesthetics in which I don’t care about. As for the plasma rifle it was pretty useless in most cases and it’s role can be filled pretty easily by the SMG and the AR.
> >
> > I don’t know it can be balanced without making it like a storm rifle, plasma repeater, or even the suppressor I guess thats why they forgone it in multiplayer in reach and never bothered to design it in halo 4.
>
> Oh really lol…

Oops totally forgot to fix that.