Planning on Purchasing HW

Hello fellow waypointers:

I decided to post this thread because I have a few questions about Halo Wars.

First off I will tell you I am not a big fan of RTS games but I am a big fan of the Halo Franchise, so I am planning on purchasing a copy of Halo Wars soon, so I can have 100% achievement completion on Waypoint (and to play a different genere other than FPS for a change), so I have a few questions for all Halo Wars players.

How long does it take on average to reach max rank online? Are there enough players out there to find matches in a short time span?

And overall, any tips about the game will be greatly appreciated.

  • Wolf

If you guys have questions about Halo games (except Wars) feel free to contact me and I will do my best to give you an appropiate answer.

You could just go through the Waypoint archives and look at all the help stuff already posted.

> You could just go through the Waypoint archives and look at all the help stuff already posted.

Thanks for the info, as I said since I just got my interest on HW I had not paid much attention to the Info on it, I will however follow your advice, thanks for posting.

top rank takes long to get, but it also depends on how well you do in multiplayer and you will be at a disadvantage to other people, I was at a disagvantage first time i played online in febuary, however you can still win if you look through helpfull tips online.

and their are plenty of people online to find matches with

and on a side note about campaign, i found the halo wars campaign way more fun and entertaining than the reach one and it also shows you some of the halo timeline before CE when you collect black boxes which are the equivelent of audio logs in ODST, the terminals in halo 3, and data pads in reach

> top rank takes long to get, but it also depends on how well you do in multiplayer and you will be at a disadvantage to other people, I was at a disagvantage first time i played online in febuary, however you can still win if you look through helpfull tips online.
>
> and their are plenty of people online to find matches with
>
> and on a side note about campaign, i found the halo wars campaign way more fun and entertaining than the reach one and it also shows you some of the halo timeline before CE when you collect black boxes which are the equivelent of audio logs in ODST, the terminals in halo 3, and data pads in reach

Well I have a couple of friends that own the game, perhaps they can show me the ropes of online MP sadly they dont seem to play the game much as of late.

And thanks for the heads up, I have always liked the storyline so watching HW story will definitely be worth buying the game for, apart from having fun of course.

Save yourself the 10 bucks.

If you don’t like RTS games, you’ll hate Halo Wars.

Going for 100% completion on this game is like putting yourself through a meat grinder. Not worth it at all.

I’m sure the Halo Wars players will tell you differently, but from my perspective (Longtime FPS player, not very good/don’t want to be very good at RTS games), Halo Wars is an unbalanced, unfun game with countless cheap exploits and tactics that cannot be countered unless you’ve been playing since launch. I imagine the only people left playing are the hardcore, and they’ll swarm you with every cheap play in the book.

Trust me. It’s not that much fun. At all.

Edit:

This is how your first game will go:

You - “Okay, I played the campaign and read some stuff online. I think I can do this! Let me just start building a reactor and some troops…”

  • 5 Minutes go by -

You - “Awesome, I’m up a tech level and have about 20 marines! I’m doin’ pretty we-”

  • An entire army of enemy tanks, warthogs, or hawks comes and rapes the -Yoink- out of your base -

You - “…”

Halo Wars Announcer: “Defeat!”

  • You wish you’d never bought the game -

You will have no problem finding games ever. Sometimes during late nights, you might have to wait a little bit to get a 2v2 or 3v3, maybe 5 or 10 min tops.

In fact, I can gaurantee that the population has already gone up a pretty significant amount in the past day or so, so finding a game should be even easier soon.

ANNNNNDDDDDD, with the patches finally out and the leaderboard reset coming soon, I garauntee EVEN MORE pople will be playing soon, and if they moderate boosters and such, the TS system will be working better than ever. Hence, EVEN MORE EASE FINDING GAMES!

> Save yourself the 10 bucks.
>
> If you don’t like RTS games, you’ll hate Halo Wars.
>
> Going for 100% completion on this game is like putting yourself through a meat grinder. Not worth it at all.
>
> I’m sure the Halo Wars players will tell you differently, but from my perspective (Longtime FPS player, not very good/don’t want to be very good at RTS games), Halo Wars is an unbalanced, unfun game with countless cheap exploits and tactics that cannot be countered unless you’ve been playing since launch. I imagine the only people left playing are the hardcore, and they’ll swarm you with every cheap play in the book.
>
> Trust me. It’s not that much fun. At all.
>
> Edit:
>
> This is how your first game will go:
>
> You - “Okay, I played the campaign and read some stuff online. I think I can do this! Let me just start building a reactor and some troops…”
>
> - 5 Minutes go by -
>
> You - “Awesome, I’m up a tech level and have about 20 marines! I’m doin’ pretty we-”
>
> - An entire army of enemy tanks, warthogs, or hawks comes and rapes the Yoink! out of your base -
>
> You - “…”
>
> Halo Wars Announcer: “Defeat!”
>
> - You wish you’d never bought the game -

well it’s not really exploits it’s just strategy, you have to find ways to counter it and work fast.

bellieve me i know where your comeing from i suck at online but i still have fun in skirmish mode and campaign just playing and having fun.

as for FPS players not likeing RTS games thats a generalization, RTS people can get used to playing FPS so why cant it work the other way around? it all depends on what kind of player you are and how well you can get used to the new interface which is easy to get used to.

even if you suck at online the game is still tons of fun in campaign and skirmish

You can add me if you want = xKauf im an experienced Halo Wars Player and would be willing to show you some tips and starts. or you could visit my new website www.halowarspro.net

I say get it. I have plenty of bias but it’s still a great game and a nice change of pace in the Halo Universe.

> You can add me if you want = xKauf im an experienced Halo Wars Player and would be willing to show you some tips and starts. or you could visit my new website www.halowarspro.net

Does your website show general tactics or just “Pro” stuff. I borrowed HW from a friend. I want to get into it. I just can’t though for some reason. I feel like I’m just pointing a flash light on everything. Any helpful info would be great Thanks.

> > You can add me if you want = xKauf im an experienced Halo Wars Player and would be willing to show you some tips and starts. or you could visit my nHew website www.halowarspro.net
>
> Does your website show general tactics or just “Pro” stuff. I borrowed HW from a friend. I want to get into it. I just can’t though for some reason. I feel like I’m just pointing a flash light on everything. Any helpful info would be great Thanks.

Nah my site is for players of all skills if your good you can contribute and if your new you can learn new strats and find good people to play with.

I at first thought i wouldnt like because i wasnt a rts person but got it because the halo story achivos and h3 map pack. I loved it when i got good at it.

> Save yourself the 10 bucks.
>
> If you don’t like RTS games, you’ll hate Halo Wars.
>
> Going for 100% completion on this game is like putting yourself through a meat grinder. Not worth it at all.
>
> I’m sure the Halo Wars players will tell you differently, but from my perspective (Longtime FPS player, not very good/don’t want to be very good at RTS games), Halo Wars is an unbalanced, unfun game with countless cheap exploits and tactics that cannot be countered unless you’ve been playing since launch. I imagine the only people left playing are the hardcore, and they’ll swarm you with every cheap play in the book.
>
> Trust me. It’s not that much fun. At all.
>
> Edit:
>
> This is how your first game will go:
>
> You - “Okay, I played the campaign and read some stuff online. I think I can do this! Let me just start building a reactor and some troops…”
>
> - 5 Minutes go by -
>
> You - “Awesome, I’m up a tech level and have about 20 marines! I’m doin’ pretty we-”
>
> - An entire army of enemy tanks, warthogs, or hawks comes and rapes the Yoink! out of your base -
>
> You - “…”
>
> Halo Wars Announcer: “Defeat!”
>
> - You wish you’d never bought the game -

There really any exploits left, it’s just a matter of precision resource management, micro, and speed.

> > Save yourself the 10 bucks.
> >
> > If you don’t like RTS games, you’ll hate Halo Wars.
> >
> > Going for 100% completion on this game is like putting yourself through a meat grinder. Not worth it at all.
> >
> > I’m sure the Halo Wars players will tell you differently, but from my perspective (Longtime FPS player, not very good/don’t want to be very good at RTS games), Halo Wars is an unbalanced, unfun game with countless cheap exploits and tactics that cannot be countered unless you’ve been playing since launch. I imagine the only people left playing are the hardcore, and they’ll swarm you with every cheap play in the book.
> >
> > Trust me. It’s not that much fun. At all.
> >
> > Edit:
> >
> > This is how your first game will go:
> >
> > You - “Okay, I played the campaign and read some stuff online. I think I can do this! Let me just start building a reactor and some troops…”
> >
> > - 5 Minutes go by -
> >
> > You - “Awesome, I’m up a tech level and have about 20 marines! I’m doin’ pretty we-”
> >
> > - An entire army of enemy tanks, warthogs, or hawks comes and rapes the Yoink! out of your base -
> >
> > You - “…”
> >
> > Halo Wars Announcer: “Defeat!”
> >
> > - You wish you’d never bought the game -
>
> There really any exploits left, it’s just a matter of precision resource management, micro, and speed.

I can still name at least 10 exploits/glitches that can be done on purpose…but I agree, it’s a great game! Buy it.

> > Save yourself the 10 bucks.
> >
> > If you don’t like RTS games, you’ll hate Halo Wars.
> >
> > Going for 100% completion on this game is like putting yourself through a meat grinder. Not worth it at all.
> >
> > I’m sure the Halo Wars players will tell you differently, but from my perspective (Longtime FPS player, not very good/don’t want to be very good at RTS games), Halo Wars is an unbalanced, unfun game with countless cheap exploits and tactics that cannot be countered unless you’ve been playing since launch. I imagine the only people left playing are the hardcore, and they’ll swarm you with every cheap play in the book.
> >
> > Trust me. It’s not that much fun. At all.
> >
> > Edit:
> >
> > This is how your first game will go:
> >
> > You - “Okay, I played the campaign and read some stuff online. I think I can do this! Let me just start building a reactor and some troops…”
> >
> > - 5 Minutes go by -
> >
> > You - “Awesome, I’m up a tech level and have about 20 marines! I’m doin’ pretty we-”
> >
> > - An entire army of enemy tanks, warthogs, or hawks comes and rapes the Yoink! out of your base -
> >
> > You - “…”
> >
> > Halo Wars Announcer: “Defeat!”
> >
> > - You wish you’d never bought the game -
>
> There really any exploits left, it’s just a matter of precision resource management, micro, and speed.

Oh really?

So I suppose Gauss Warthog, Hawk, Grizzly, and Banshee rushing are all fixed, hmm? Or are those your “Tactics” at work…

What so many RTS players call “Tactics” are really just cheap tricks to steamroll anyone who’s either new at the game, or wants to have an interesting fight. That’s all any Halo Wars game I ever played boiled down to: Someone used a cheap trick before the other, and therefore that person won. No micromanagement. No resource game. Just some overpowered tricks to decimate the opponent before they had a chance to even build up anything to defend with or attack with.

Yes, you can buy the game for campaign and Skirmish modes…But you aren’t going to get 100% completion unless you go online and play a LOT.

Also, the campaign isn’t that good. Apparently Sgt. Forge is made of pure adamantium, because he gets cut with an Energy Sword twice, and lives. And he must be as strong as superman, because he can tackle an Elite.

Yup.

> > > Save yourself the 10 bucks.
> > >
> > > If you don’t like RTS games, you’ll hate Halo Wars.
> > >
> > > Going for 100% completion on this game is like putting yourself through a meat grinder. Not worth it at all.
> > >
> > > I’m sure the Halo Wars players will tell you differently, but from my perspective (Longtime FPS player, not very good/don’t want to be very good at RTS games), Halo Wars is an unbalanced, unfun game with countless cheap exploits and tactics that cannot be countered unless you’ve been playing since launch. I imagine the only people left playing are the hardcore, and they’ll swarm you with every cheap play in the book.
> > >
> > > Trust me. It’s not that much fun. At all.
> > >
> > > Edit:
> > >
> > > This is how your first game will go:
> > >
> > > You - “Okay, I played the campaign and read some stuff online. I think I can do this! Let me just start building a reactor and some troops…”
> > >
> > > - 5 Minutes go by -
> > >
> > > You - “Awesome, I’m up a tech level and have about 20 marines! I’m doin’ pretty we-”
> > >
> > > - An entire army of enemy tanks, warthogs, or hawks comes and rapes the Yoink! out of your base -
> > >
> > > You - “…”
> > >
> > > Halo Wars Announcer: “Defeat!”
> > >
> > > - You wish you’d never bought the game -
> >
> > There really any exploits left, it’s just a matter of precision resource management, micro, and speed.
>
> Oh really?
>
> So I suppose Gauss Warthog, Hawk, Grizzly, and Banshee rushing are all fixed, hmm? Or are those your “Tactics” at work…
>
> What so many RTS players call “Tactics” are really just cheap tricks to steamroll anyone who’s either new at the game, or wants to have an interesting fight. That’s all any Halo Wars game I ever played boiled down to: Someone used a cheap trick before the other, and therefore that person won. No micromanagement. No resource game. Just some overpowered tricks to decimate the opponent before they had a chance to even build up anything to defend with or attack with.
>
> Yes, you can buy the game for campaign and Skirmish modes…But you aren’t going to get 100% completion unless you go online and play a LOT.
>
> Also, the campaign isn’t that good. Apparently Sgt. Forge is made of pure adamantium, because he gets cut with an Energy Sword twice, and lives. And he must be as strong as superman, because he can tackle an Elite.
>
> Yup.

Okay, after not playing multiplayer since Aug, I decided I’d give HW another shot. What a shock that in my first game tonight I ran into one of my biggest gripes. A guy kills all your men and most of your base and then drives off to let you rebuild your base so he can destroy it again. I played for three hours and generally got my tail kicked pretty hard with the exception of a couple games. I managed 7000 pts in 3 hours. At that rate, I only have another 398 hours till I reach General. This will be fun.
I don’t see how you do this without boosting.

Well It seems there are many mixed feelings about the game, but I appreciate your comments guys, I think i will first borrow it from a friend and see how it goes, then I might purchase it, I know I will get beaten badly online but that is what happens when you purchase a game that has been out for so long and you decide to play against much more experienced players.

Anyways I appreciate your comments guys and thanks for the review of the game.

> You can add me if you want = xKauf im an experienced Halo Wars Player and would be willing to show you some tips and starts. or you could visit my new website www.halowarspro.net

DONT EVER GO TO THIS SITE! IT IS TERRIBLE!

that anders strat video you have on there is by far the stupidest thing i have seen in a while. no one who plays like that will ever win or get better and that should not be used to teach others… also your forge strat relies on you being untouched by the opponent for 10+ minutes and hoping to god they didnt scout and make hunters/cobras or air… terrible to teach.

if you are looking for real help from real good players go on here and ask nicely. someone will help you:

lazyfrog.us

> Well It seems there are many mixed feelings about the game, but I appreciate your comments guys, I think i will first borrow it from a friend and see how it goes, then I might purchase it, I know I will get beaten badly online but that is what happens when you purchase a game that has been out for so long and you decide to play against much more experienced players.
>
> Anyways I appreciate your comments guys and thanks for the review of the game.

Halo Wars is a great game. However, expect to get destroyed A LOT online before you win a match.

However, when you do win, the victory will be the sweetest tasting thing you have ever experienced. It is definately well-earned.